• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

big buns little buns, fat buns and thin buns

how can you tell if your bun is the perfect weight? I can google the average weight of a nethie, but i dont really think its the best way, because like people all bunnies are different.

We fat score/condition score horses and dogs, can you do that with buns? What should i be able to feel and what shouldnt i be able to feel?

Just got me thinking really, since ive been reading a few weight and diet related threads.

I have no idea, but I've read before that if your rabbit is a good weight it's ribs should feel like a pack of pens, whereas if they feel flabby they're probably carrying a bit of excess weight!

I think the best way is to have your bun weighed at the vets and find out what they think of their current weight. If they say oh yes it's about right then you can then weigh them on your own scales and take that as a baseline.

I saw on a website once that if you are looking at the bun sideways on at floor level their tummy shuld be slightly off the ground, and if you are looking down at them from above their belly shouldn't be either sucked in looking or sticky out looking it should just be a smooth line - hmm didn't describe that very well, let me go and see if i can find the website again...

I have no idea, but I've read before that if your rabbit is a good weight it's ribs should feel like a pack of pens, whereas if they feel flabby they're probably carrying a bit of excess weight!

What about if theyre on the lighter side? Mine are definitley not fat, i worry more about their weight now after Dollys dental issues, but shes doing well now and havent had any more problems :) Just want a bit of a rough guide really. Im at the vets on Monday and will ask for them to be weighed anyway :)

In a young rabbit you should be able to just feel the spine and ribs, but not see them.

Elderly rabbits will have a much more prominent spine, and can sometimes be overweight even if you can easily feel their spine.

If male rabbits have a dewlap, this usually means they are overweight

What about if theyre on the lighter side? Mine are definitley not fat, i worry more about their weight now after Dollys dental issues, but shes doing well now and havent had any more problems :)

Then uh...they feel like pens not in a packet? I'm sorry I really don't know :oops:

Hmmm:? I don't really see how that is going to be much help. Not many rabbits are exactly that shape....they all have different amounts of fluff on them, which will distort a visual.

Go by the feel of the bun. As said in Nicola's thread about her Eddie, if they look "triangular" then I'd say they're underweight. (even fluff can't hide that.) ....of course there are many other factors. Just get to know your buns general size. (close your eyes when you do it.) It should be quite easy to feel any abnormalities if you check them often. :wave:

how can you tell if your bun is the perfect weight? I can google the average weight of a nethie, but i dont really think its the best way, because like people all bunnies are different.

We fat score/condition score horses and dogs, can you do that with buns? What should i be able to feel and what shouldnt i be able to feel?

Just got me thinking really, since ive been reading a few weight and diet related threads.

i know wat u mean its called body scoring i cant i know on a scale to one to five the animal is suppose to be 3. cant remeber wat it is on a rabbit that u are and are not suppose to feel. im thinking about this too.

my male dwarf lop on him u can feel his spine his hip and his shoulder blades. when u look at him u can on see his hips and his shoulders but ive never been able to feel his ribs. at least ive never noticed.

Back