• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Breaking the cycle...!

p_prod_uk

Mama Doe
Hi guys,

Those of you who've had a number of buns (4+) and have ended up with a smaller number due to deaths etc, how have you coped when one bun out of a bonded pair has died?

Just wondering when the cycle will ever end, if I always get another bun to bond with the partner of dead bun?

I've currently got 3; a bonded pair and a lone bunny (following the death of his partner).

I know I should get him a new wifey for his sake, but how will I ever get down to a more manageable number (2) if this cycle continues?!

Any advice?
:D

Yeah I'd toyed with the idea, but I've a dominant female living with a submissive male and the lone male is kind of inbetween! The submissive one would, I think, end up being left out and that would break my heart.

I also can't really cope with the stress of possible fighting (increased chance with 3 instead of 2)

Thanks for the suggestion tho :)

Sorry.. no advice really.. Ive never been able to break the cycle either!
Always tell myself.. thats it.. no more.. but then I cant bear to see a bunny who is used to having a partner on their own:(

Sorry.. no advice really.. Ive never been able to break the cycle either!
Always tell myself.. thats it.. no more.. but then I cant bear to see a bunny who is used to having a partner on their own:(

I know, its horrible isn't it? :-( ah well, maybe I'm destined to be a crazy old bunny lady!!

Are they indoor or outdoor buns? I dont know what im going to do when one of mine goes, hopefully theyll stick around for a good while yet, but if i decided not to get a new friend for a lonely bun, id bring them indoors for sure.

If you definitely don't want to get a fourth bun, your best option will be to try a trio. One bun may get left out a bit, but it's still better than having one living alone IMO.

Rescues have older buns as well could you not get one thats around the same age as you lonely bun. Thats my plan if anything should happen to one of mine.

You've got 4 options really

1) Keep the lone rabbit on his own until he passes, which could be a long time.

2) bond the lone rabbit in to a trio, it sounds like their personalities would work quite well together just based on how dominant they are because I wouldn't think they would all be fighting for top bun. The submissive bun wouldn't necessarily be left out just because he's submissive.

3) get a fourth rabbit, but as you said you're perpetuating the cycle. If you go for this I'd look at getting an older bun.

4) rehome your lone rabbit to someone looking for a husbun for their doe. This is pretty much what I've decided I will do when I'm down to one and don't want any more rabbits. It will be heartbreaking but you know the bun will live out its days with a friend.

I haven't come into this situation yet but I will in the future and I have thought about it.

If Mischa is first to go then I will try to bond Mini with the other two and if it fails keep her in with me. I do spend quite a bit of time in my room so she would have someone around. If it's Mini then I'd do the same with Mischa. If it's Nutmeg then I know the other three will bond easily as they did last summer when I tried a four. They all fell in love pretty much instantly. I think I'd have to pretty unlucky for Smudge to go first as he's two years younger than the others.

I always wonder about this, i think it's possibly one of the major factors why people do have rabbits for years and years or forever even, I've paired mine as closely as possible in age terms but, I know I couldn't keep one alone now having seen how much nicer it is for them in a pair with another one of their own kind for company, it really is ideal to have a male and female pair I think, everyday i look at Ness and Jingle together who had been single for 2+ years before coming to me and they are soooo perfect together, I'm terrified that one will go before the other and leave one because they are soooo right - they completely get each other and have a wonderful relationship. I've said I'd probably have a break from animals when my dog has passed over she is quite elderly now and when the four I have have passed but, in reality I think it will become a cycle as you say, it's a tough decision but, if your really trying to break it then some bun is going to have be alone. I don't think I'd be able to do that so maybe try to adopt an older one of similar age?? Best of luck x

I don't know either, when I was left with 5 last year I bonded one into a trio but then Sophie died a couple of weeks later so have 2 pairs now. Ideally I'd like to bond a trio if/when another one dies but not sure it would work out and I wouldn't want to keep one on its own so I'll probably have 2 pairs forever!

I had a bossy male and sumissive female and bonded an in between bun into the mix. It was the best thing I ever did as she seemed to bond the other two even better.

Of course there is always a risk it could go wrong but if you didn't want another bun it's something to think about.

After Crystal died i didnt want to get another rabbit but when Misty started ripping his own fur out and went depressed I had no choice but to get him one which is when i ended up with Princess :p im going to be attempting a trio soon but no more rabbits once they've gone though, if the trio works both girls are quie independant so i feel they would be ok by themselves however i would make the remaining bun a house rabbit when 2 of them pass on :)

Sadly, Peggy died a week ago and Sue is on her own now. I would so love to rehome another bun to bond with her as she is in a large hutch all on her own but fears over possible vet bills mean I will have to bond her with my trio. If that doesn't work I will try her with one of my pairs.

It's a shame I can't foster on a permanent basis like I did with Justin - the rescue paid the vet bills and I covered day to day expenses - but I don't think they run that scheme any longer. It meant I had a long drive to get to their vet but it was worth it and it gave them a spare hutch to rehome another bun. I think the scheme was working out too expensive for them though.

Back