• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding 2 pairs?

mattyp

Warren Veteran
This is a purely hypothetical question, but is it possible to have 2 seperate pairs of bonded rabbits, then introduce them to make a quad?
Is it difficult? Impossible?

I am just curious, and wondered if rabbits could double date :lol:

It's not impossible. It is (or can be) very difficult because it's 4 buns personalities and desires for heirachy positioning to be taken into account.

It takes much longer to settle if it does work - after the initial intros, with a pair I think a week provides a fairly healthy start, but with a four, it's going to be much longer before they know who exactly is in charge, and this will be subject to change in the future when one wants to move their position in the group.

I've tried 4 fours now and none have ended up staying together.

However, Janice has done fours successfully - she did some last week.

As Sky-O says can be difficult but also possible, really depends on the characters of the rabbits.

It needs to be done in exactly the same way as bonding a pair of rabbits ie. in a small neutral space at a time when you have prepared the envioroment including equipment required and also yourselves so that you have at least 96 hours with plans to cover a longer period if required to sit and supervise them at all times if required.

As Sky-O says can be difficult but also possible, really depends on the characters of the rabbits.

It needs to be done in exactly the same way as bonding a pair of rabbits ie. in a small neutral space at a time when you have prepared the envioroment including equipment required and also yourselves so that you have at least 96 hours with plans to cover a longer period if required to sit and supervise them at all times if required.

What is more likely to take 2 bonded pairs, or a pair then turned to a trio, then a quad?

I am a long way from being financially stable enough to have four rabbits, but i can dream.

I think I quite like the idea of a little community of rabbits. What generally happens, and what problems crop up??

If you are not expereinced in bonding I would suggest that you get assistance with doing a bonding like this. Some can go straightforward however many foursomes are challenging.

When bonding groups they need to sort out their heirachy, you often get one who becomes the top bunny and later the others challenge this by chasing, nipping, humping and possibly fighting. All the other bunnies will also have a ranking and these in the first week or so will change through humping, chasing and nipping. This is where you need the experience of bonding to be able to pick up quickly what is going on so that you can stop / interrupt what is happening to try and reduce the chance of injury.

What is more likely to take 2 bonded pairs, or a pair then turned to a trio, then a quad?

I am a long way from being financially stable enough to have four rabbits, but i can dream.

If you have 4 single bunnies it is best to bond all 4 singles together in one go rather than bond to a pair and then slowly increasing the number together as the ranking order of the buns will change by introducing another bun. By adding an additiona rabbit or pair you alter the relationship of everyone.

If you happen to have two pairs then bond two pairs but I would not advise keep adding one bun at a time as this lengthens the period of time that the rabbits will be stressed out. Stressed rabbits are more at risk of stasis and devleoping chronic infections as a result of the impact on their auto immune system.

Sorry for hijacking

How long should be left between bondings?

I have a new pair and 2 established pairs. I know the established pairs can get on, but due to one problem I can't put them together.

I know I can't do anything until Isla is neutered, as that seems to have a big effect on hos she gets on with the girls.

Sorry for hijacking

How long should be left between bondings?

I have a new pair and 2 established pairs. I know the established pairs can get on, but due to one problem I can't put them together.

I know I can't do anything until Isla is neutered, as that seems to have a big effect on hos she gets on with the girls.

I woudl leave it at least a couple of months if you are planning to go from a newly bonded pair and then increasing them to either a foursome or larger group.

Thanks for the responses everyone! Why must rabbits be so fussy about the company they keep :lol: Would love to rescue more in the future, but would not have sufficient room if the bonds didn't take so looks like it'll stay a pair for the forseeable future!

If you are not expereinced in bonding I would suggest that you get assistance with doing a bonding like this. Some can go straightforward however many foursomes are challenging.

When bonding groups they need to sort out their heirachy, you often get one who becomes the top bunny and later the others challenge this by chasing, nipping, humping and possibly fighting. All the other bunnies will also have a ranking and these in the first week or so will change through humping, chasing and nipping. This is where you need the experience of bonding to be able to pick up quickly what is going on so that you can stop / interrupt what is happening to try and reduce the chance of injury.

Hi Janice, :wave:
What do you think the effect of being side-by-side would have on bonding a four? I know some people do a slow bond with twos (next to one another, swapping toys/trays etc), but I wondered if this would make a four easier, or more difficult?

Sorry for the hijack! :oops:

What do you think the effect of being side-by-side would have on bonding a four? I know some people do a slow bond with twos (next to one another, swapping toys/trays etc), but I wondered if this would make a four easier, or more difficult?

Don't worry about the hijack, that's a question i'd like to know the answer to also! :D

When I first started bonding pairs many years ago, possibly 10 years ago I did try side by side and swapping cages, I quickly learnt that the responses to each other side by side did not reflect what they were like on neutral territory.

I stopped this after a while as injuries did occur between wires and getting rabbits to bond I found was less stressful for the rabbits if I did the quick bond method rather than side to side. I believe it is less stressful as side by side they would territory mark, pace up and down watching the other rabbit with some trying to attack the one next door. I found it easier and quicker to bond them in one go.

For two pairs if they were someone elses I would never consider putting them side by side due to the increased risk of injury through referred aggression and also territory issues. I woudl always go for a straight bond in a small neutral place giving myself far more time than I would with a pair and then slowly expanding their territory over weeks rather than days.

When I first started bonding pairs many years ago, possibly 10 years ago I did try side by side and swapping cages, I quickly learnt that the responses to each other side by side did not reflect what they were like on neutral territory.

I stopped this after a while as injuries did occur between wires and getting rabbits to bond I found was less stressful for the rabbits if I did the quick bond method rather than side to side. I believe it is less stressful as side by side they would territory mark, pace up and down watching the other rabbit with some trying to attack the one next door. I found it easier and quicker to bond them in one go.

For two pairs if they were someone elses I would never consider putting them side by side due to the increased risk of injury through referred aggression and also territory issues. I woudl always go for a straight bond in a small neutral place giving myself far more time than I would with a pair and then slowly expanding their territory over weeks rather than days.

Thank you - I always wondered about the referred aggression and territory issues.

Back