• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

moving

naynay

Young Bun
I am hoping to move soon, however my 2 house buns will have to go outside in the yard. So bearing in mind they have been indoors I know i will have to wait before they can go out, which will mean short term bunny fostering or something until I can get it ready and the weather changes. A few questions: Do bunnies mind the rain , wind etc..and what about friendly cats that pop in over the wall... and should they be locked in a bunny house over night and any other hints and tips would be appreciated. thank you :wave::wave:

You need to make sure the hutch is in as sheltered a position as possible. Most my bunnies sit in the rain quite happily but I always make sure they have somewhere warm and cosy to retreat should they wish.

You also need to make everything predator proof. Ie on hard standing, or mesh underneath so nothing can dig in, Mesh stapled on the inside not outside so a predator can not pry it off, small spacing mesh so that no paws etc can be put through, weld mesh is prefered to chicken wire as its stronger.

My buns are not bothered by the neighbours cats, in the summer I'd quite often find the cats asleep on top the runs and the bunnies didn't care. As long as they can't physically get at each other they are safe.

I always used to cover the front of the hutches at night so predators wouldn't scare them if they came in the garden.

can they not run free range in the yard..its too small for a run. the only other thing would be to put mesh high up on the wall and across which i didnt really want to do......

If its bunnyproof (no escape routes/poisonous plants etc) supervised freeranging is fine. I'd never leave them unattended tho, it only takes a few mins for a predator to get at them.

If its bunnyproof (no escape routes/poisonous plants etc) supervised freeranging is fine. I'd never leave them unattended tho, it only takes a few mins for a predator to get at them.

Yep, make sure you supervise, my best friend lost one of her rabbits, because she let them out and she turned to talk to her mum, then it was gone :cry:

Back