• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lost of advice, various issues. Long post sorry.

TasherR

Alpha Buck
Sorry wasnt sure where to put this :)
Guys please bear with me on this one its gonna be long and i need some advice.

Well... after last year losing so many pets i have been keeping a much closer eye on Bailey. Over the past few weeks he seems to have lost LOADS of weigh so i upped his food and added some higher caloie foods to his diet but his weight didnt much improve so i took him to the vets, eventhough there didnt seem to be anything wrong with him, still doing binkys and bunny 500's so i was convinced it was toothy.

So took him to the vets and he doesnt seem to have lost any weight :/ Kay (my vet) checked his tummy, poo sample, teeth and said he had perfect teeth so it wasnt that and she couldnt find anything wrong with him at all!
Hes back in 2 weeks to definetly check he isnt losing weight but i think im just being paranoid and maybe he was actually fat and since he became a house bun and got more exercise he just shed a few pounds!

But his hay nomming has definetly decreased and he has turned to eating cardboard :roll: another reason i suspected toothy issues. So i think he is getting too many pellets as i was convinced he was losing weight so i upped them :oops:
Soo how many should he be having he weighed 278 not sure what they weigh in at the vets though im assuming this is equivalent to 2.78 KG?
and do i have to reduce them slowly and should i remove all cardboard toys?
im just worried that he wont increase his hay nommin and he will starve :?
again me being paranoid i think!

sorry for the rambling and long post just need some wise RU's guidance! :D

Last edited:
Is he a dwarf lop? That sounds abiut the right weight for him if so. Also has he moulted since bringing him in? It might have made him look skinnier because his fur wont be as thick perhaps?

Sorry wasnt sure where to put this :)
Guys please bear with me on this one its gonna be long and i need some advice.

Well... after last year losing so many pets i have been keeping a much closer eye on Bailey. Over the past few weeks he seems to have lost LOADS of weigh so i upped his food and added some higher caloie foods to his diet but his weight didnt much improve so i took him to the vets, eventhough there didnt seem to be anything wrong with him, still doing binkys and bunny 500's so i was convinced it was toothy.

So took him to the vets and he doesnt seem to have lost any weight :/ Kay (my vet) checked his tummy, poo sample, teeth and said he had perfect teeth so it wasnt that and she couldnt find anything wrong with him at all!
Hes back in 2 weeks to definetly check he isnt losing weight but i think im just being paranoid and maybe he was actually fat and since he became a house bun and got more exercise he just shed a few pounds!

But his hay nomming has definetly decreased and he has turned to eating cardboard :roll: another reason i suspected toothy issues. So i think he is getting too many pellets as i was convinced he was losing weight so i upped them :oops:
Soo how many should he be having he weighed 278 not sure what they weigh in at the vets though im assuming this is equivalent to 2.78 KG?
and do i have to reduce them slowly and should i remove all cardboard toys?
im just worried that he wont increase his hay nommin and he will starve :?
again me being paranoid i think!

sorry for the rambling and long post just need some wise RU's guidance! :D

I think from what I've read on advice before is to slowly decrease pellets over time, so as not to give his tummy too much of a shock.
To increase his hay nomming, has he got hay in his litter tray? Mine eat alot whilst sat doing poops.
I've also started mixing pellets in with their hay and all veg in with hay aswell in a food storage box (£2 from asda :)) and it seems to be encouraging them to eat more hay, especially because they have to eat through it to get pellets and veg :D

Sad to hear that :(

PS. what is a rabbit 500? I keep hearing it but have been too embarressed to ask, i'm breaking the silence now :lol:

Is he a dwarf lop? That sounds abiut the right weight for him if so. Also has he moulted since bringing him in? It might have made him look skinnier because his fur wont be as thick perhaps?

Yes he is a dwarf lop and he did moult loads but he just seemed to be going bony like i could feel his spine when i stroked him, which i could never do before. Should you be able to feel their spine on a bun? i always thought you shouldnt :?

I think from what I've read on advice before is to slowly decrease pellets over time, so as not to give his tummy too much of a shock.
To increase his hay nomming, has he got hay in his litter tray? Mine eat alot whilst sat doing poops.
I've also started mixing pellets in with their hay and all veg in with hay aswell in a food storage box (£2 from asda :)) and it seems to be encouraging them to eat more hay, especially because they have to eat through it to get pellets and veg :D

Yes he has a large storage box for his littertray and i stuff that full of hay, He also has some seperate if he wants it. I know he likes the hay because its the same one that i used to get when he was a great hay nommer and he has two types now. He has a lovely green fresh hay and a dryer stalkier hay which he likes to eat all of the seed heads out of so its not like he doesnt like it.

Sad to hear that :(

PS. what is a rabbit 500? I keep hearing it but have been too embarressed to ask, i'm breaking the silence now :lol:

Hehe i never used to know what one was either to be honest i also had to ask :oops: Its when your bun runs/flys around the room at what seems to be 500 mph with some binkys thrown in their just for good measure, i think that it means they are very very happy! Bailey quiet often bumps into things when he does it bless him :lol: Its a guaranteed thing now in our house between 10 -11 in the morning he has his mad 5 mins :D

If he is eating pellets I wouldnt worry about giving him too many in the short term until you work our what the problem is but definately mix in some hay as Zahirre says.

I soak my Barneys pellets in lots of water to make a mush, then mix in the small pieces of hay from the bottom of the bag and some Herby Harvest mix. It takes a while to mix them in well but then he does eat the whole lot as he wants the pellets but will pick out any big pieces (he has an abscess atm so is having trouble chewing). I also mush up an alfalfa bale every few days and mix that in.

If I dont make the mush and mix the hay in he picks it out. :?

Last edited:
Back