• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do you think they know?

TasherR

Alpha Buck
Bailey got me wondering last night about weather buns know about/can sense our emotions.

2010 was a horrendous year for me, i lost my Grandad who i was very close to in June, then i lost my Trev in september, he was my first bun and also my first pet to go, then i had to get Max (my dog and) faithful and beloved friend of 13 years pts on december 29th and then my hamster Vladislav passed away on the 30th :cry::cry::cry:

Anyway i got very upset about it all last night and Bailey who usually only allows me a 1 minute stroke each day came over to my feet nudged me and sat having a stroke for nearly 25 minutes until he got a tear on his ear, which he didnt much appreaciate :oops:
so what do you guys think do they understand us?

Ps sorry for being all moany and such

Yes. Just like we can understand them. I think most importantly, they're better at reading body language than us, since that'd how the communicate. So sometimes they know things that we don't.

My Dawn always know's when I'm about to get upset, before I even get upset. She'll come over and sit and stare at me until I start to cry and she'll nestle into my lap and let me stroke her. I think she only does this as at the end I'll either go get some greens out the fridge or a treat for her. :roll:

Once or twice when we used to share a room together if I was lying in bed crying she come lick my face, tears are salty :lol:.

I def think they can read our feelings.

Hope you are ok - sorry for your losses. xxx

I definatly think they can.
My Mimi definatly senses my mood and it really effects her. Last time I was really down she nearly went into stasis :shock:

Yes, I agree they can sense emotions, same as many other animals. Like Gemma I have a couple of who get ill if i'm, not right.

I don't believe they read body language though, because their body language is compeltely different from ours (that's my opinion only), but I do think they know instinctually, or sense it, or something.

Animals are incredibly perceptive.

Yes i always thought that they could sense our emotions much like dogs do but it was the first time Bailey has done something like that so i was a bit shocked by it, and thought maybe he just wanted a stroke.
Like Sky-O said i dont think that it is body language related as i was sat on the edge of my bed just like i do every day so maybe its a sixth sense.
I was just interested in what others thought.
Oh and thanks for your condolences guys :)

Yes. Just like we can understand them. I think most importantly, they're better at reading body language than us, since that'd how the communicate. So sometimes they know things that we don't.

My Dawn always know's when I'm about to get upset, before I even get upset. She'll come over and sit and stare at me until I start to cry and she'll nestle into my lap and let me stroke her. I think she only does this as at the end I'll either go get some greens out the fridge or a treat for her. :roll:

Once or twice when we used to share a room together if I was lying in bed crying she come lick my face, tears are salty :lol:.

Aww how cute, and yep its gotta be the promise of greens :roll::lol:

I definatly think they can.
My Mimi definatly senses my mood and it really effects her. Last time I was really down she nearly went into stasis :shock:

Oh god :shock: that would be horrible but i suppose it shows how close the two of you are you get ill/ upset it effects her drastically, again this is a connection/understanding that cant really be explained.

bless bailey, hes a mummys boy really :love::love:
I best not let him see this hes a manly independent buck (eventhough hes too preety to be a bloke) he wouldnt be too happy with this comment :lol::lol::lol:

Pie is definatly 'in tune' with my emotions. When I was going through some tough times she would jump on the bed and simply sit next to my head, snuggling me, almost saying "it's ok mummy. I'm here"
I'm sorry for all your loss last year. I hope 2011 is better for you :)

Sorry for you losses xx

I think they do know, my dogs (esp. Ellie) are very intuitive and know when I need a snuggle etc.

Sometimes yes, they do understand our feelings. Dogs mostly do that, and intelligent birds like parrots, but also cats and yes, rabbits too.

Back