• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

best indoor housing?

little-laura

Wise Old Thumper
Hey guys I would like to know whats the best type of undoor housing.

We are temp living in a flat but will be moving out into a 2/3 bed house in june/july we have been in houses up till now but have had no choice for these few months....

I want to know whats the best indoor housing for my buns I cant dedicate a room to them atm but may be able to once we move suggestions for now and later when we move would be amazing ^_^

Yuki is currently in a smaller cage as she has had health issues so has needed it
yuri is in what pets at home say is a large cage but what id call a medium size one shes growing fast and needs something bigger.

thanks guys

I'd honestly say dog crates. This is what we use for Dawn:
166298_141393332588496_100001534913720_249085_1187503_n.jpg

( she started to tear the wallpaper off, so we're taking it all off and just gonna paint and yes she stole my shoe :roll:)
just leave the door open, or remove it.

Some people on here have much nicer dog crate set-ups.

And the great thing is, they're cheap on ebay. That one only cost us £25. :thumb:

I have never just let my bunnies roam free as I could never really rabbit proof the previous houses as when I live with my parents they didnt want it and I couldnt in the student houses.

How do you go about fully rabbit proofing and where do they stay during the day when your at work etc? As surely if you just let them loose they will destroy everything!

When I come home I let them roam free until I go to bed when they go back in their cages. I have rabbit proofed what I can. I would like any suggestions as I want them to be as happy as they can

I have never just let my bunnies roam free as I could never really rabbit proof the previous houses as when I live with my parents they didnt want it and I couldnt in the student houses.

How do you go about fully rabbit proofing and where do they stay during the day when your at work etc? As surely if you just let them loose they will destroy everything!

When I come home I let them roam free until I go to bed when they go back in their cages. I have rabbit proofed what I can. I would like any suggestions as I want them to be as happy as they can

They have the run of the entire room all the time, 24-7. They don't destroy stuff but I have done my best to have everything put away, if they destroy something it's likely cos I was lazy and left my clothes on the bed or on the floor or something.

I've actually found since doing this, instead of having an enclosure and shutting them away at night/when out, they have become far less destructive. Often they are destructive because they are in a strop and are annoyed for some reason and being put away in a smaller space can be this reason.

My main problem is them weeing on the bed. Again this is an emotional response to something. Last time because I wasn't there at night asleep in my bed as usual ie. change in routine. Previously it had been because Mischa couldn't get off the bed, since we made him his ramp we've had far less problems.

Did you take a look at the thread I linked to? The photos in that can probably explain better than words.

I did yes and what you have done is wonderful ^_^ but I cant do it in this flat...

I want to make them as happy as I can now but will be able to do a better job later when we have a house that isnt as small as this flat the bed takes up all the room in our room and the spare room and they have laminate floors the living room and hallway they can roam about freely but again only when were home...

I also need ideas for a temporary solution for the flat... I want to dedicate a room to them when we move so the more ideas for that the better too ^_^

right this is what yuri is in but she is getting too big for it so I need suggestions for her (yuki is usually in a cage the same size as this one too)

IMG00690-20110127-2158.jpg

IMG00688-20110127-2158.jpg

Right now while she recovers from her op and I repair the other cage yuki is in this cage

IMG00686-20110127-2156.jpg

I really want to make the situation better for them

what I want to do is get them both one of these but have it indoors

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/small_pets/hutches_cages/runs_fencing/pens_with_racks/35639

what do you guys think?

Last edited:
My advice if buns are bonded to join the cages together, and then to use the pannels to give them run space outside the cages. Though be careful, my Flopsi would literally climb out of her pen set-up. :roll: :lol:

I totally agree with the rabbit proofing, my 2 girls are litter trained and have the kitchen to themselves. They've not attempted to chew anything - yet. If I'm out for more than an hour at a time they go in their indoor cage but generally Bellar sleeps in there anyway because she adores the vetbed and only comes out to stretch her legs where as Brulee is generally asleep on her bed infront of the radiator. The 2 rescue buns are currently in a big indoor cage on wheels and come out for about 5 hours a day in a large metal run that I put up in my room. Is it possible for you to get yourself a run and make a 'U' shape around the indoor cages so they have the extra room until you move again?

I know what your saying, i would love mine to roam free 24/7 but my flat is rented and is brand new. The landlord was not to keen on the idea of house bunnies so i have to be extra carefull when my boys are out. They always get told off for munching the wood on the balcony door, skirting boards and under my sofas. Little monsters! I have bunny proofed my flat, no wires and no extra furnature either. My flat is more of a bunnys luxuary home ha ha!

they are in seperate cages because yuri isnt neutered and keeps attacking yuki and the chances they can be bonded when they are both female is slim... I will try once yuri is neutered though ....

Back