• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

people who dont like animals

little-laura

Wise Old Thumper
Hey guys I started this thread so I can vent alittle as I am really miffed off at the moment.

Right at work the people on my team dont like animals much, they tease me about my rabbits and think its ridiculous that I care about them so much. They comment on how they are like children to me and how pathetic that is because (and heres a comment that got my back ) they are "only" animals.....

They dont have a clue about rabbits and say I should do this that and the other (which are usually dangerous or risk things for rabbits)

They told me they would never spend as much as I do on vet bills and I should just let them die ¬_¬

I was really worried about yuki while she had her op and they continued to comment even though they knew I was terrorfied... they said things like how much did it cost you then oh Ill operate on it for that give it to me.... they made comments that I could just get another one if she died so I shouldnt be worried.....

These people ask me questions about my rabbits and how I care for them and when I answer laugh at my answers and tease everything I say, saying they arent worth the money and how I could buy clothes , shoes and other things instead....

I bite my lip and say nothing but one of these days ill explode.....

Has anyone else come across people like this?

Unfortunately yes. A lot of people I talk to about Oscar say that I should give him to them so they can put him in a stew... Even the conductor on the train said it when I had him in a carrier with me :(

The people who know me well and have met Oscar know how lovely he is and how much I care for him so usually ask how he is getting on and when they can come and visit next! I don't bother with the others anymore...

the joking about the stew I get all the time that doesnt bother me as its a joke they think they are being funny and they arent being malicious these people at work however are over the top and just plain nasty

Yep, I know someone who flat out argued with me that animals do not have personalities, they just havent learnt and instinctual behaviours, and that they were like fluffy machines:roll:

I had him round the other day though and he started talking to barney and stroked him a bit, I think he's coming round :)

Just have a go, tell them its none of their business how you treat your animals or what you spend your money on, do you tell them how they should [insert something you think is wrong about the way they deal with their kids/pets/hygene issues]. When they see youre not to be messed with they'll stop.

People tend to comment mostly about how my hamster has a bigger than usual cage, not the average size pet-shop one. I've been told that I should realise that first and foremost, a hamster is a toy.

when I said yuki was ill they said let her die then you wont have to spend so much and youll get over it as its just a rabbit

I would just be honest with them and say something along the lines of 'look, they may not be your thing, but I care a lot about them and it upsets me when you take the pee. I'd appreciate it if you didn't make insulting comments like that, since I don't do it about ***' insert hobby, child, partner, parties, or just the word you. I think honesty is the best policy and if they are in any way decent people they should respect that.

I get this from my MIL unfortunately. :roll:

My mother in law to be turned around and said if it were up to her she'd get all the pet rabbits and release them in a field somewhere as it was cruel to keep them in cages/hutch's... I was like yeah... they would either kill each other or be eating within the day!

I can't say I've had this much yet. To be honest I don't think I'm the kinda person people think they'd get away with saying such things to. I'd just make them look and feel stupid. I don't generally talk much about my pets to people I don't know well anyway, the same with with my private life.

If I were you I just wouldn't talk to them about your pets. Don't give them any opportunity to make you feel bad. If they ask just give them blunt one-word answers and they'll quickly stop asking. Its none of their business what you spend your money on.

Helen xx

Guys at my work are the same unfortunately.

I get the mickey taken because I only eat free range meat.. things like... 'Do you want some of this cous-cous Laura? It's free range cous-cous'.

They also take the mick out of my degree (Animal Biology)

The rabbits they seem to find normal yet they find the fact I have a snake really strange and there is one girl who seems to think it s funny to ask how he is and giggle to the girl who sits next to her as if I am nuts for having him.....

Most of it I take in jest, it is bound to happen. Unfortunately many people are very closed minded and simply do not understand a different opinion or lifestyle.

I wouldn't answer their questions hun that's just fueling them to mock you and your pets.

My lot at work are like this...I joke along with them and show pics of my buns and go 'aaaawwwwww how can you say nasty things about a lil fluffy bunny'...they must think I have lost the plot by this point as they don't say anything more :lol: at the end of the day I love my buns and don't care what other people say...they're entitled to their opinions, albeit sometimes rude and offensive, but hey ho...ya don't have to listen to it :)

People at my work are the same too:censored:
Once had to rush to the emergency vets and have my Fudge bunny pts,i was in tears the next day at work.Two of the blokes couldn,t believe how much it was at the vets and said i should have broke his neck:cry::cry:
I was devasted enough as it was:cry:
Felt a tiny bit better two months later when i had to make two of my staff redundant and choose them:oops::oops:
Funny how nobody at work now comments on my animals!

Two of the blokes couldn,t believe how much it was at the vets and said i should have broke his neck:cry::cry:
I was devasted enough as it was:cry:
Felt a tiny bit better two months later when i had to make two of my staff redundant and choose them:oops::oops:
Funny how nobody at work now comments on my animals!

That is sooo cool.:lol:

:lol::lol:.Did feel a tiny bit mean but hey oh:oops:

That's so funny haha:lol:

My dad is always making silly comments about the bunnies. He's only joking but sometimes it's still upsetting.

Although, he did cry when my soul bunny Barney went to the bridge... he was as gutted as I was.

Back