• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

It's official - Alfie is F....A....T !!

KarenM

Administrator
Staff member
After the pic of him looking like a beach ball (http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=267426) I popped him on the scales this afternoon.

He's always hovered around the 1.6kg mark but today he weighed 1.83kg. :shock::shock:

It's only since it got cold - I'd been 'feeding them up' a little but I think I've over done it. Time to gradually decrease the pellets again methinks. :oops:

Poor Alfie. :( Mr McFlurry weighed in at 1.8kg last time he had a vaccine, and wasn't told he was fat (not sure how rabbit savvy his vet is though). I'm cutting down Spenser's pellets, but more to encourage hay eating than weight loss. It's actually still pretty cold here, so I'm going very carefully with the reduction.

They need it in the winter! To keep warm ;)

Mine are a little podgy too! :oops:
I have been reducing pellets to increase hay nomming anyway so hopefully by the summer they have lost their podge :oops: :lol:

But non the less Alfie is gorgeous! :love:
Bubbles too! :love::love:

Edit - Can i ask how you weigh your two? :wave: :)

Last edited:
My Petal, who is a Nethy had put on 100g when she got weighed at the vets last week. I'm not panicking right now. She'll lose it when the warmer weather comes. She is a big hay and veggie eater, and certainly likes her grub lol

Nooooooo he's not overweight Karen, he's just under tall like me :D:lol:

:lol::lol::lol: that made me smile! me too!

Alfie doesn't look fat to me...don't that sort of bunny get a really fluffy winter coat? It's just fur, I tellz ya! Plus, tell him I love his new hat ;)

Edit - Can i ask how you weigh your two? :wave: :)

I've got a set of baby scales but they're stuck at the back of the shed behind a pile of rubbish. :oops: So today I improvised - I popped him in a plastic storage box and put him on the kitchen scales (digital ones). :D

Bubbles weighed 1.3kg, so she's put on a tiny bit but nowhere near as much as Mr Lardy. He definitely bulks up in winter but he could end up around the 2kg mark by Spring at this rate. :oops:

They're due their myxi booster next week, so I'll ask the vet's opinion while I'm there but thanks for the reassurance all. :love:

Nicki, I'm undertall as well. ;)

Lib, Alfie didn't like that hat AT ALL. :lol::lol:

Noooo, Alfie is gawjuss just as he is :love::love: And so is the lovely Bubbles too :love:

It must have been that plastic storage box you popped him into on the scales that accounted for all that extra weight :roll:

Do thin bunnies exist? All of mine are buddha bunnies :oops::oops:

It's amazing how fattening a hay and veg diet can be :shock:

It must have been that plastic storage box you popped him into on the scales that accounted for all that extra weight :roll:

:lol::lol::lol: I put the box on and then cleared the display to zero. ;) Although I guess it could have been the box that gained weight in between me putting it on the scales and putting Alfie in it. :shock: :lol:

Alfie: Yes, that'll be it. It's not me that's F..A..T, it's the box.

Louie was getting a bit rotund as well so I cut out all commercial treats plus most of his pellets and he is looking much better now and his poo's have improved too :D

He will be pleased to know he's still half a kg lighter than Her Royal Fattyness :oops:

:lol::lol::lol: Alfie will be so relieved. :thumb:

They don't really get many treats and hardly any veggies because it gives Bubbles dodgy poops so I think it must be the pellets (I'd increased from roughly an eggcup full to a handful twice a day) :oops:

Daisy will be suicidal if I reduce her veg as well :( She's now not allowed treats or her beloved Green Oat Hay if the veg goes she will definitely be packing her bags and hitchhiking to SarahPs!! I'm going to try foraging and maybe replace some veg with that!

Back