• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to go about thoroughly cleaning my rabbit shed?

Liz47

Wise Old Thumper
Hello :wave:

In the health section there is a thread on Beano's ear problem, for those who don't know she has had a lot of problems with her ears, mainly her right one. She got sorted but this has now come back in just her right ear, it is very blocked with crusts and irratates/hurts her. She has been to the vets and received an injection which she has to go back for another in ten days to kill any mites if it is ear mites she has. If it is no better by then she may have to go in for a day or two to be sedated as she struggled a lot and has tried to go for the vet so they can have a proper look and take some of the crust to be examined. Tomorrow because I have the day off school because it is closed I am going to do a big cleanout of their shed and get rid of any hay they have touched (I don't think the hay is a problem as I've used it before with no problems and the guinea pigs and Gordon are fine) my question is how do I go about cleaning and disenfecting everything to get rid of any possible ear mites in their enviroment? They have 24 hour access to a shed which has a soft bed and some blankets in it and a dog crate with newspaper, blankets and hay in it? Will washing the blankets in the washing machine be enough to get rid of any possible mites? Their enviroment is clean and things gets cleaned/changed daily so they don't live in dirty conditions at all. Thankyou for any advice :)

The only thing I can suggest would be using something that would kill the mites. When I had mites with my guinea pigs about 10 years ago, I cleaned out the hutches and sprayed them with Johnsons Cage and Hutch spray. I left the hutches for a couple of hours (to properly air out) before returning the piggies and everything was fine. However, I don't know whether you can still get it because it contained Permethrin which is pretty lethal stuff.

I have got some special small animal disinfectant which I will use :) I'm mainly worryed about the blankets, my mum said something about a 60 degrees wash is meant to kill fleas/stuff like that??

Just bumping this up for you. :wave: It sounds as if their environment is kept very clean indeed, and unlikely to be the cause of the problem especially as Gordon has been fine.:?

Thankyou Susie bun :) I'm going to clean it just to be safe as I want to make sure I've done everything I can to try and get Beano better.

Hope you get nice weather tomorrow so that the shed is nice and dry for Gordon and Beano going back in. Where will they be while you are cleaning? I have great difficulty cleaning the hutch in the winter becuase Spenser's run is on the adjoining slabs and he will indist on trying to help. :roll: In the summer his run is on the grass and he can't see what I'm up to. :lol:

My sun room I think, it is opposite the shed so I will be able to see them through the window to keep an eye on them! Hopefully having a run about and play in the sun room will cheer Beano up, she has been down recently with her ear :(

Just finished now, after starting at 9am this morning! Everything is now nice and clean for them :) Beano and Gordon enjoyed running round and exploring my sun room too, Beano is acting more like her usual self now :) I'll have a look tonight with the torch and see if her ear's any better, hopefully the new treatment she got will be working :)

I was thinking of you earlier today.:wave: It's been a lovely day here so if you have had the same it would be ideal for a Big Clean. Glad Gordon and Beano enjoyed their change of scenery.

Back