• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fostering

x-vic-x

Mama Doe
I'm doing some leaflets to give out at our open day, as we are trying to recruit new fosterers.

I am going to do FAQ part and am wondering what questions you would like to see in it.

Also if you do foster, could you tell me the reasons why you foster and how you feel about fostering.

and finally how you feel about letting them go, (or felt when your first foster animal went) as I know this is the part alot of new fosterers dread.

It can be any animal not just bunnies.

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You have to come and talk to me, so I'm not standing by my fostering board on my own :(

lol your daughter did cause us some confusion as I read on here you were going to see Moss and I told Becky, she was like NOOOOOOO, someone called .......... is going to see her. It took us ages to realise she was your daughter. :oops::oops:

lol your daughter did cause us some confusion as I read on here you were going to see Moss and I told Becky, she was like NOOOOOOO, someone called .......... is going to see her. It took us ages to realise she was your daughter. :oops::oops:

Haha! I didn't even know she had got in touch with Becky until I came home from work! :lol::lol:

I have already contacted Becky about fostering indoor G. Pigs.

Could not take more buns - my lot are crazy enough and have staked claims in every available room.

:shock: are you coming Saturday. :)

I'll ask Becky, she gets that many messages it might have got missed

Not that I'm biased but I could probably write you up something about fostering if you like?

Also, totally off topic, did you get my e-mails?

yes, :oops:

I was going to reply, thank you so much they are great. Hopefully it will get people reading the information, even if it is only to win a prize :roll:

If you could write something that would be fantastic.

I am trying to make it balanced and cover things like:
-quarentine
-assessing their personality (I know it's easy to make animals out to be perfect, but people need to be honest so the correct home can be found.)

Any help would be appreciated.

I foster as you know vicky and i love it i havent been to bad when they go, the odd one has bought a lump to my throat as they go but i just think the next one will be along who needs help to find there new home,at the moment i only foster piggies but i would like maybe another bigger cage so i can help out with the rabbits as there seems to be more rabbits in care sadly, if you are interested in fostering go to the open day or speak to vicky its soooo rewarding xxx

yes, :oops:

I was going to reply, thank you so much they are great. Hopefully it will get people reading the information, even if it is only to win a prize :roll:

If you could write something that would be fantastic.

I am trying to make it balanced and cover things like:
-quarentine
-assessing their personality (I know it's easy to make animals out to be perfect, but people need to be honest so the correct home can be found.)

Any help would be appreciated.

:D Excellent. Glad they are of help.

I'll have a think and get something together.

Just judging by what's on here I would suggest starting off with simple things like:

Do I need to provide accommodation?

What about food/bedding/litter trays/cat scratching posts/leads etc? Does the rescue provide it? Does the fosterer pay for it?

What happens if the animal needs to go to the vets (urgent/not urgent)?

What happens if I want to go on holiday?

Can I let the foster animal play with my own animals?

Can I have a say in where the animal gets rehomed?

What sort of animals will I be given? (something about types of fostering - e.g. behavioural issues, weight loss before neutering, additional capacity, ready for rehoming)

Will I need to let potential adopters come to my house to view the animals? If yes, am I insured to do so?

Can I foster if I work full time/live on my own/live in a shared house/rent/don't drive/have young children/am under 16/18?

What will happen to the animal after I have fostered it?

Do I have to use your vet? Will I be expected to arrange its neutering/vaccinations/worming/de-fleaing etc?

I love fostering because it gives me the opportunity to help an animal in need and provide it with a stable, secure temporary home while it is on the way to its new home. I couldn't take on any more permanently but it gives me a way to help out and to help out lots of animals rather than just a couple. I personally find it far easier to 'let them go' if I have had a say in whether the home is approved - e.g. by having done the homecheck myself. Although you have to try to not get too emotionally attached, once you've looked them in the eye and you know their personality (better than the rescue in some cases if they stay with you all the time) I think it's far easier to let them go if you are the one responsible or jointly responsible with the rescue for deciding on their future based on what you know and what you believe to be acceptable. I know that's not always going to be possible though and different fosterers will have differing ability, desire and capacity to do that!

Last edited:
Whether you provide hutch, food, etc.

What vets they need to use.

I foster because I have space and time and want to help in a little way. I haven't actually let one go yet I kept my last one so lets see what happens with my current one.

I have asked a few local places about fostering for them but no one wants my help :(

Some questions I asked where....Did they provide accomodation? Did I have to use a specific vet or could I take them to my own? Would the rescue or me pay for food/hay/vaccs/toys?

I foster partly due to my lovely pair of rescue bunnies were in foster care before I adopted them and was so grateful for the attention they had there. I often wonder what would have happened to them if it wasn't for rescues and their fosterers so wanted to give something back. Fostering helps give another rabbit a second chance who may have had a difficult time and frees up space so another rabbit can be taken into rescue. It is also rewarding seeing the rabbits come out of themselves and develop their personalities. My other half wont agree to more pets so fostering gives me extra rabbits to fuss over.

It is worth mentioning that fosterers don't have to worry about paying for vets fees and boarding when they go on holiday. Also about learning alot from the experience of having a variety rabbits through with different needs and personalities.

Although parting with the rabbits is sad, it is worth it knowing they will go to a good home and to see the look on their adopters faces so know I have done something to help. I never get a chance to mope around too much as there is soon another one (or 5!) who needs help to take its place.

I hope it goes well on Saturday and wish I could get over to give a bit of support but busy on that day x

Back