• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Panic about the truth (over catastrophising)

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
Someone recently suggested to me that what I might be struggling with is patrial seizures. That scares the everything out of me. Its weighing heavily on my mind. If I am, then I lose my license.

If I lose my license then I'm going to be virtually housebound (can't do public transport) and totally dependent on my family.

If that happens then I won't be able to look after my bunnies. Which is a hugely stressful thing to have to consider.

These are all big ifs and maybes, but sadly, it does make sense, and now someone has mentioned it, my conscience won't let me stay quiet (even though logic says if it was a problem the GP would likely have identified it by now).

That probably all sounds silly, but contemplating losing them is just horrific.

Could you not get medication that could help this and still be ok to drive?

You have to go X amount of time without a 'seizure' to be allowed to drive. I think its two years or something for proper epilepsy, not sure about anything else though. I don't want to look into it :lol: Its just preying and weighing on my mind all the time. I hate 'what ifs'.

I'd of thought they'd be medication you could take for something like that Sky?

I myself had to let the DVLA know about my issue, as it can affect driving, i have to inform them if it ever gets any worse.

I'm gonna go google now..

is patrial seizures like really bad headaches?

Not at all. Taken from http://www.patient.co.uk/health/Epilepsy-Partial-Seizures.htm

What is a partial seizure?

With a partial seizure, the burst of electrical activity stays in one part of the brain. Therefore, you tend to have localised or 'focal' symptoms. Different parts of the brain control different functions and so symptoms depend on which part of the brain is affected.

Simple partial seizures

In this type of seizure you may have muscular jerks or strange sensations in one arm or leg. You may feel, hear, see, smell, or taste odd sensations. Some people develop pins and needles in one part of the body. However, you do not lose consciousness or awareness. A simple partial seizure usually lasts just a few seconds or minutes. For each individual, the same movement or sensation tends to recur each time a seizure occurs.

Complex partial seizures

During this type of partial seizure, you are not aware of your surroundings, or of what you are doing. In effect, you have a partial loss of consciousness (which differs from a simple partial seizure). This type of seizure can arise from any part of the brain but most commonly arises from a temporal lobe (a part of the brain). Therefore, this type is sometimes called 'temporal lobe seizure'.

The temporal lobes of the brain help to deal with mood and 'behaviour'. Therefore, you may have strange feelings, sensations, and emotions during a complex partial seizure. It may feel like being in a dream. Your surroundings may appear strange or oddly familiar. It may be difficult to explain the feelings or sensations that occur. To an onlooker, you may appear to be in a trance or behave strangely for a few seconds or minutes. For example, you may wander with no apparent purpose. Some people smack their lips, fumble at clothes, appear to fidget, swallow repeatedly, or do other repetitive movements.

Sometimes a partial seizure develops into a generalised 'convulsive' seizure. This is called a secondary generalised seizure.

If you interpret some of the things going on for me they may appear as the red things. But, the current diagnosis for all of it just umbrellas the lot (all mental health related), but its not uncommon for people with this to get a mental health diagnosis when actually, that's not just the case.

Is it a medical professional that suggested this may be what you are suffering with?

I think that the points you have highlighted in red can also be symptoms of panic and anxiety.

Is it a medical professional that suggested this may be what you are suffering with?

I think that the points you have highlighted in red can also be symptoms of panic and anxiety.

No, which is why I need to talk to my GP and need to see what he thinks.

None of what I'm experiencing related to this is related to my anxiety, although it can cause anxiety in me when it happens.

I am, however, panicking about this irrationally. :lol:

A lot of those symptoms could relate to me too. I often get a weird sensation that I'm in a dream, or like not really there. Also strong feelings of deja vu. Mind you, don't see why any of that could affect your ability to drive..:D

Are you absolutely sure you can't look after your rabbits without a car?

I'm still not allowed to drive bcause the doctors can't decide if I'm epileptic or not, but it's surprising how you find ways to cope - I get supplies delivered and take taxis to the vet. I know everyone's situations are different though so maybe those aren't practical for you.

good luck anyway :wave:

Are you absolutely sure you can't look after your rabbits without a car?

I'm still not allowed to drive bcause the doctors can't decide if I'm epileptic or not, but it's surprising how you find ways to cope - I get supplies delivered and take taxis to the vet. I know everyone's situations are different though so maybe those aren't practical for you.

good luck anyway :wave:

I go to the vets maybe twice a week probably on average, some more, some less, and its like half an hour away. I can't afford taxis like that (plus I get anxious while leads to motion sickness when I'm a passenger :roll: I'm good aren't I!).

Its going to present a total headache. I'm just going to hope :D

I go to the vets maybe twice a week probably on average, some more, some less, and its like half an hour away. I can't afford taxis like that (plus I get anxious while leads to motion sickness when I'm a passenger :roll: I'm good aren't I!).

Its going to present a total headache. I'm just going to hope :D

Ah I see :( I always think taxis are expensive but then I compare them to the total cost of owning a car and it seems like nothing! But then I don't go twice a week.

Try not to think about it at all till you know more, it won't do any good. I'm aware that's far more easily said than done though!:oops:

Ah I see :( I always think taxis are expensive but then I compare them to the total cost of owning a car and it seems like nothing! But then I don't go twice a week.

Try not to think about it at all till you know more, it won't do any good. I'm aware that's far more easily said than done though!:oops:

Thanks :) I'm totally, totally aware that I'm over catastrophising and jumping the gun and everything, but my biggest fear is losing my crew. It follows me and haunts me wherever I go and this is just another way i might lose them.

Realistically I would hope that we would find a way to cope, but the prospect is terrifying.

Thanks :) I'm totally, totally aware that I'm over catastrophising and jumping the gun and everything, but my biggest fear is losing my crew. It follows me and haunts me wherever I go and this is just another way i might lose them.

Realistically I would hope that we would find a way to cope, but the prospect is terrifying.

I know - I spend most of my time panicking about things which might cause me to lose my rabbits, and concocting elaborate safeguards! and I don't even have any reason to! You're very resourceful, I'm sure you'll sort summat :wave:

If it is what you have then it's far better not to risk yourself, and others, from driving!!

Who knows...you might surprise yourself!:wave:

If it is what you have then it's far better not to risk yourself, and others, from driving!!

Who knows...you might surprise yourself!:wave:

I know, hence why I have to raise the issue with my doctor. Hence the fear. If I didn't have a conscience then I wouldn't be worried and wouldn't bother raising it.

Ohhh, I don't know what to say about the seizures :( when are you seeing the doc?

Sending all good wishes your way - try and stay positive, even though it's hard xxx

Back