• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fox problem.. What to do next?

PrincessPinky

Mama Doe
Right, we seem to have a fox problem in our garden, i have made the hutch as fox proof as possible, but they are still round the hutch every night, the buns are stomping in the hutch like mad every night, i can see something bad happening soon so iv begged my parents to let me bring them in at night or even in the shed.

I have tried to put suggestions forward to my parents, temp hutch in shed, temp rabbit cage in house (just over night) make a door on the front of the hutch, ill buy a wendyhouse (more secure)

Nothing, they just arent going to meet me half way, i think they personally want to get rid of them!

Now they are telling me to hand them into a rescue because i cant look after them anymore :cry: im heartbroken i really don't want to hand them over, i care about them just as much as Lexi, which is half the problem because if a fox does get them i will never forgive myself, if i had handed them over then they wouldnt of got killed e,t,c.,,

I dont know what to do?!

This is killing me :cry:

tell your mum youll keep them in your bedroom over night....make her see how upset you are..maybe she will give in

Would it help (sorry if not) to remind them of the duty of care under the Animal Welfare Act 2006?

Trouble is you cant really have them in a heated house overnight then put them out in the cold during the day.

What have you done to secure their hutch ? Double galvanised mesh, padlocks etc ?

What about putting up a small electric fence around their hutch. An expensive outlay, granted. But maybe you could shop around for a better price. Offer to do some chores for payment toward the costs ??

http://www.ukcountrystore.co.uk/acatalog/Rabbit-Electric-Fence-Netting-Kits.html

there is a thing you can get that makes a noise and then the foxes wont come...only prob is i dnt no if it would bother the rabbits and other animals

:wave: As an emergency measure, nip out and get a tarpaulin to put down at night and secure with a few bricks (allowing ventilation) and put one of these round the hutch and a couple of empty plastic buckets with a brick in each on the top will prevent them jumping on top of the hutch, the pen in the picture is showing 4 panels - they actually come with 6 panels so you could use four to go round the hutch depending on how big it is obviously and if you can put it next to a wall even better and then place one on top of the hutch aswell - a fox cannot get through that.:wave:

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/smal...+playpens&msg=MSG_SEARCH_ONE_MATCHING_PRODUCT

Last edited:
We got little shutters to put over the meshed parts of our hutch overnight. We measured the spaces then got pieces of wood to fit each space, that were also the right "depth/thickness so we could keep them in place with twisty catches and bolts. We went to B&Q who cut the wood to the right sizes - it cost less than £20. The bolts and twisty catches were easy to screw in place - they are a VERY tight fit.

Is putting the hutch in the shed a total no-go? Is there enough space?

Back