• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is Angora rabbit farming cruel?

KoShiatar

Mama Doe
Just what the title says. If a long-haired rabbit is raised as a rabbit should, but also shorn for fur, do you think it's cruel? I've seen methods for shearing that left me a bit uncertain, but some claim they are the least stressful way for the animal.
I'll admit rabbit fur is so beautifully soft, I wish I could have a cruelty-free jumper made of that :oops: but does such a thing exist at all?

As long as the rabbit's living conditions meet its welfare needs, then shaving it occasionally doesn't impact on that IMO. Most pet angora owners trim anyway as keeping long fur in good condition is a lot of work. I pluck the normal length fur from my moulting rabbits and leave it out for the birds. I guess if I had an angora (and some knitting skills) I could turn it into a jumper instead :lol:

I'm sure there are bad ways to keep and sheer them but I think it's certainly possible to do it a good way if you choose to. Same as with a lot of animals that are shaved to make wool.

As long as the rabbit's living conditions meet its welfare needs, then shaving it occasionally doesn't impact on that IMO. Most pet angora owners trim anyway as keeping long fur in good condition is a lot of work. I pluck the normal length fur from my moulting rabbits and leave it out for the birds. I guess if I had an angora (and some knitting skills) I could turn it into a jumper instead :lol:

I'm sure there are bad ways to keep and sheer them but I think it's certainly possible to do it a good way if you choose to. Same as with a lot of animals that are shaved to make wool.

I agree with this, as long as they are well cared for, then I see no problem!

:thumb:

Great post.

I'm referring specifically to this method of shearing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUkkLmtpzdk&feature=related

I can't approve of it even though some people say it's the most humane way to do it and the rabbit doesn't struggle. Still...

KoShiatar I think you need to put a warning on that, it's awful and very upsetting - of course it's cruel and completely unnecessary - it's like a dark ages torture chamber! She is clearly not caring about the animals welfare at all. That would be illegal in the UK as it no way meets the welfare requirements for that rabbit, it's appaulling.

I've watched that video to the end. The rabbit doesn't struggle, doesn't seem to panic, doesn't try to get away. Are angora rabbits really that tame, I wonder? Is this one used to the procedure? One can only wonder.

On the other hand, testifying the exceptionally laid back temperament these rabbits must have, there's this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=excgl-LnZJk&feature=related and this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eoWw7Q4BAA&feature=related
See how quiet these rabbits are, the one in the first video doesn't even flinch when wool is plucked from him! He sure trusts his human...

Last edited:
I have an angora/lionhead cross, also a cashmere lop, they are certainly not laid back.
I am having to recover their coats after us being laid up with the flu and they didn't get groomed for 3 weeks. They are both taking the odd nip out of me while I groom them- they don't like it, even when they are done every other day and have no mats.
Do the owners groom they routinely, to remove mats, or do they just clip them after 3 months. If it is after 3 months it would be very uncomfrotable for the rabbit by that time, they would be terribly matted and hot!

I thought that video was of a bunny being sheered (if that's the word :oops: ) on a table and looked relaxed, I was going to say it looked fine, but then they turned it round and the poor bun was attached to the turning thing! :shock: :cry:

I haven't watched the video as I've seen this first hand in NZ (in 2001) :(.
They have bus loads of japanese tourists watching as they do these demos, we wandered in at the end of the shearing and couldn't believe they had a rabbit tied up in that manner, it was like a chicken in a spit roast :shock:

I've watched that video to the end. The rabbit doesn't struggle, doesn't seem to panic, doesn't try to get away. Are angora rabbits really that tame, I wonder? Is this one used to the procedure? One can only wonder.

On the other hand, testifying the exceptionally laid back temperament these rabbits must have, there's this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=excgl-LnZJk&feature=related and this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eoWw7Q4BAA&feature=related
See how quiet these rabbits are, the one in the first video doesn't even flinch when wool is plucked from him! He sure trusts his human...

I'm not looking at any more of your selections after the first one it's awful:(

I don't know why your surprised about the rabbit not struggling - it can't - I take it that it's over a heat source aswell - I think it's outdated and vile.

Dont even want to look so I cant comment really, but the thought of potentially funding any kind of cruel behaviour is enough to make me never buy anything with it in. :cry:

I have a cashmere lop and he needs daily grooming and monthly clipping to keep his fur under control. It's very uncomfortable for him and the fur mats so easily pilling his skin making it sore. Long haired bunnies should not be bred at all.

:cry::cry: heartbreaking, I had no idea they did this :( I was going to say no it isn't, but if that shearing method is used then it's always cruel.

Back