• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Poor Biscuit :(

GrahamL

Wise Old Thumper
Felt awful for him last night.

I don't normally pick Biccy up to do checks etc (i know i shuold but bare with me) as he HATES/DETESTS being picked up.

I've now got an arrangement with him, where he'll let me IF i'm holding a pellet he can have while i hold him to check him over.

So i gave Ginger her meds last night and Biccy was running round my feet as always waiting to check her over once i've put her down. So i put her down, he groomed her, then she hopped off, so i thuoght i'd give Biccy a check over, so i knelt down, scooped him up easy as pie. Held him, he doesn't like it and freezes and his heart races, so i try and be as quick as i can.

Went to give him the pellet and dropped it. He panicked and went to get the pellet and began struggling from my arms, i must of dropped him from ~1ft :cry:

He grabbed the pellet, and ran off and hid in the corner under the curtain. He didnt move for ages. I went to stroke him, he hopped off and hid under the sofa and wouldnt let me near him, kept grunting at me and lunging. He NEVER gets aggressive, like, ever.

He seems absolutely perfect now, i got up about 6 times in the night to check on him :oops: and he seemed okay and was eating/drinking/pooping.

He's hopping about normally now and has done several bunny 500's round the living room now i'm back home from wales.

I called the vets and they just recommended keeping an eye on him, and bring him in if necessary.

Problem is, i'm away for work all day tomorrow and ownt be back til ~11pm and my OH is at work until 5pm tomorrow, so they are going to be on their own for ~8hrs. This normally isn't a problem, but i'm worried now :(

I feel like i've really been a bad daddy :cry:

Oh dear, sounds like he got a fright. :( Unfortunately these things happen, and full marks to you for finding a method that usually succeeds. :thumb: I'm no expert of course, but would think that if he had been physically hurt it would have shown by now? :? The very fact you have posted this shows that you are a very good, concerned and caring bunny daddy. :)

my rabbit binkie who since i took him to the vets has become impossible to hold and jumps out your hands...i was picking him up out the top of a double hutch and he struggled and then jumped out my hands onto the floor...he was fine but i was having a heart attack..aslo he used to climb ontop of an extra large dof crate and jump of...hes a crazy rabbit

Gray I would think if he hasn't shown any signs by the end of today then he will be fine. Twix has fallen from the vets table before when he was trying to get away from the vet which I would think is nearer 2ft high and he had no signs of injury. I would say he had a bit of a shock and was sulking with you for dropping the pellet! :roll: I am sure they will be fine tomorrow.

My late beautiful Brian; had a severe incident at a post-op checkup after his neuter. The vet nurse checking him was incompetent. He crawled up her front, jump off her shoulder and landed on his face. He cut open his chin. Needless to say I was furious; complained and don't give my services to that vet anymore.

I think she got sacked after that, but my poor little Brian; was traumatised as it was after loosing his plums, then that happened. :cry: Binky free Bri.

Hope Biscuit is oki! xx

ETA: The drop Brian had was just short of 6ft. :(

Poor you its very traumatic when you think youve caused your beloved furries stress or hurt! Im sure Biccy will soon forget the incident especially when more food appears :D Im terrified of dropping them and is why Im reluctant to persevere with trying to pick them up especially when they hate it so much!

If he's acting fine now Gray I wouldn't worry about it, Marvin is an expert wriggler and has probably fell in excess of 5ft before, and he does the same sort of grump that you describe. But he gets over it and realizes it was his fault for jumping out of my hands in the first place :p

When I picked up Cloud one night to check her she jumped out of my arms and landed on the floor and was holding one of her front paws up and I felt absolutely terrible and I was in tears. We knew the leg wasn't broke and we did ring our vets for advice and she said it sounded if she had bruised her leg and to give her bed rest for a week which we did and she was much better after, but not at all pleased with us for not letting her not play out :)

Don't worry... You shouldn't beat yourself up about it. :D He'll do a strop, then 30 minutes later be begging you for treats :roll: :lol:

I once dropped Sebastian about 2ft on to the top of a indoor cage and he caught his leg in the wire :shock: he was fine, Im sure biccie will be okay if he isnt showing any symptoms by tomorow AM :wave:

I am sure he will be absolutely fine. Peter once fell much much much much much further than that!! I don't know how he survived but did and was 100% fine.

Sounds like biscuit was just in a bit of a mood because he didn't want to be picked up-I'm sure he's happy with his little self for making you worr, he'll think you won't try again now (if only they knew it was for their own good)!! ;)

Don't beat yourself up. I have dropped Mini from higher :oops: Ended up with a very expensive vet bill cos she fell half on a stool and half not and her hip came out of the socket. You could tell immediately it was hurt cos she was holding it up. If he's racing around he must be fine!

Gray, I'm sure he's absolutely fine!!!
One of the baby buns did a leap of over a foot a few nights ago thanks to Selby the cat and was perfectly ok. Dexie has also taken to falling off the sofa sometimes... Yes, it's a bit of a shock but if he seems fine, I'm sure he is. 1 foot drop isn't that bad :)

Alvin jumped off Ste's shoulder hit the wall and then the floor at the vets and was totally fine... pretty sure Biscuit will just have a bruised ego and nothing more :D

Hey Graham,

My dad dropped me once when I was a baby.......and I turned out alright. :lol:

Glad Biscuit is ok, im sure hes forgiven you!!! :wave:

Rabbits will be rabbits, as they say.

One of the funniest things Flash ever did was running across my double bed, he lept at my desk, completely missed, hit the wall, fell to the floor, and then just came running out the bottom and arrived at my feet. That was about 4ft. He was completely fine.

I've had some go over shoulders or jump out of arms or out of runs. Autumn sprained his leg last December doing just that, but he was ok. I would expect you would have seen signs by now of any proper injury, the only issue is his bruised ego (as someone else said) and if he is eating now and acting normal then I'm sure he is fine :)

Alvin jumped off Ste's shoulder hit the wall and then the floor at the vets and was totally fine... pretty sure Biscuit will just have a bruised ego and nothing more :D

I remember you posting that when it happened.^^^^

I'm sure he's absolutely fine, but he's allowed to be grumpy with you and to show his total displeasure:lol:

Back