• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Nest Building?

Captain Helen

Wise Old Thumper
Just as Sugar's starting to get better, I've just found Princess gathering all the hay from the litter tray and all the loose bits scattered around and carrying it into the hutch... :shock:

Is this nest building?

I know sometimes boys do it too, and I know they can have phantom pregnancies, but since they're both unspayed girlies and before they came to me last week they were in a house with unneutered boys, should I be worried?!

The woman that brought them to me said they'd had no contact with the boys for at least six months, but she also changed her mind at the last minute and brought Princess instead of the one she was planning to bring. Should alarm bells be ringing?!

I'll call Gwen at Bunny Burrows in a minute, but I wanted to get your opinions first... Is this normal? Am I worrying over nothing?

Thanks! :wave:

I would have alarm bells ringing! Especially seeing as she brought Princess rather than another one - could that be because she had an oopsie with the lads when the lady's back was turned??

be worried i think shes most prob pregnant. just give her plenty of bedding and food and water
if she is pregnant she should have the kits within the next week...she may have them within the next couple of hours...when she lies down with her feet spread out look and her belly you can usually see them kicking about if shes almost due

I would have alarm bells ringing! Especially seeing as she brought Princess rather than another one - could that be because she had an oopsie with the lads when the lady's back was turned??

Yep, that's exactly what I was thinking! :shock: Oh dear... But would she start nest building that soon after a bit of oopsie?!

Well done for prompt action. I too would be highly suspicious. I hope they can be spayed and do recover quickly :)

Wow, they nest quickly! I turn my back for a couple of hours, and the nest is now fully fur lined! :shock:

I've never seen a rabbit nest before. It's quite interesting, in a very sad way. :(

Has she plucked fur from her tummy :shock:

When they arrived they both had patches of hair loss on their backs, which the lady said were from them trying to squeeze under their hutches. :? So it's hard to tell.

I haven't picked her up to check her tummy. I was worried I might hurt her if there are babies in there. :( Do you think I should?

When they arrived they both had patches of hair loss on their backs, which the lady said were from them trying to squeeze under their hutches. :? So it's hard to tell.

I haven't picked her up to check her tummy. I was worried I might hurt her if there are babies in there. :( Do you think I should?

I know when we had Grace she started pulling fur out of her tummy and all round her teats and within an hour of her doing this she gave birth. I would ring Gwen if you can for some advice. As I don't want to say pick her up and check her if she is pregnant and due.

I didn't know 2 of my foster bunnies were pregnant, until they had the babies and 1 had 8 the other 6. With the other pregnant bunnies I have been able to tell straight away.

My foster bunnies have always, built the nest and had the babies within a few hours. :shock:

it might be phantom but its not obviouse to tell when they are pregnant..i could only tell because i stared at zebies belly when she was lieing down and saw them kicking about. i would say if you are unsure take her to the vet and they can check for sure...i tried not to handle mine when they were pregnant incase i hurt the kits

My unspayed doe did this.. made a beautiful fur lined nest in no time at all!

Hopefully a phantom.. especially with lighter nights etc.. could have just kicked her hormones off!
Fingers crossed... keep us posted

OK, I've spoken to Gwen, and they're booked in for their emergency spay on Tuesday.

She said there's nothing to be gained by picked her up. Just watch and wait, and if she has babies, remove Sugar and don't touch the babies for 72 hours.

My poor girlies :cry:

Please send lots of no babies vibes!

you need to check after she had them to make sure there are no dead ones if there are you need to remove them asap...best thing to do it put a sock on your hand rub your hand all in her poop and pee and then have a look...make sure mum if u otherwise occupied i.e eating somthing....if she seems really bothered by you there then you will have to leave and try again later. but it is best to check there are no dead ones.
thats if she has babies

I've spoken to the previous owner, who swears there's no chance the males could have got to them. However, one of the other females they lived with could have been mis-sexed by the pet shop she asked to do it. The other girls have been rehomed since so she's not sure.

She also said that the mother had lots of phantom pregnancies, as well as the two litters she had. Not sure if that means anything.

This may be a silly question, but me sitting here with them won't distress her if she's about to pop will it?

I'd rather spend the day sat here with them, to keep an eye on Sugar's eating, but if that's going to cause a problem, I'll go.

Back