• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

oh rabbit droppings!

brulee

Young Bun
I know I'm new her have to have bit of a rant about people who have animals and have no idea about how to look after them etc. After Christmas kick out has been really bad this year, and I'm only a small, non advertised private rescue. Most female guinea pigs I've taken on have been pregnant, including one no more than 12 weeks old.

I must admit that I am generally a guinea pig rescue due to space as quaranteed ones can live in groups but I do take on desperate rabbits too. I had a call from a woman who'd allowed her pair of male and female rabbits to constantly breed, and she'd not had a problem homing them before according to her but she could'nt home these ones. Before I'd got there she'd managed to home 1. This left 4. It was during the really bad weather and when I went to collect she said one had died. She didn't want me to take all 3, only 2. I sexed the 3 as the woman said she had no idea how to tell the different. I'd sexed them as all female by torch light and bought the 2 home. I was told they were about 3 months but looked older.

So both girls settled here and without me even trying they litter trained themselves so I decided that as I had lost my frenchie boy to old age I'd keep these to mini lops even though I'd intended on finding another big bun. Usually I like the bigger ones as I foster cats and dogs, but they are all fine around the little buns. They've been here 20 days now and this morning I had an 'oh droppings' moment when I went into the kitchen where they sleep to find that Brulee had started fur pulling :( I then started to doubt my sexing and double checked and still both girls. Just typical as they're booked in for neutering next week. Really was at odds as to what to do. I'd felt Bru's abdomen and could feel nothing at all, and had done it on an empty stomache. I know rabbits are hard to feel for babies but I really could find nothing, not even a possibly moment. I did it when she was falling asleep with legs in the air on my lap. She wasn't tense so could really feel. So phantom or real? My choice tonight is to put them together and risk Brulee having a litter in with Bellar or seperate and risk them not bonding again if she's not pregnant. I've decided to pop Bellar in a different cage tonight next to her sisters and hope that works. Praying that Brulee isn't pregnant with her brothers babies :evil: I've already got 3 guinea pigs here that are pregnant by close relatives.

Rant over :oops::p

Back