• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Neutering

shaunna

Young Bun
I had my beautiful male rescued bunny neutered yesterday :)

Poor mite decided to eat his stitches and glue regardless of my careful, watchful eye.

At 6.30pm last nite he was rushed back to be stitched and glued back together and he now has a head collar thing on.

How long should i leave it before he can have the collar removed for good?

Also if people have any ideas on what i could feed him as hes not interested in eating anythin but runner beans. Ive tried all mixes of food, veg and fruit.

My poor boy all snuggled on his blankets and towels looking rather at peace :)
SAM_0399.jpg
[/IMG]

hi,

are you booked back at the vet in a couple of days for a post op check up? i would ask them about how long the collar should stay on but i think most of mine were ok after 2/3 days.

flat leaf parsley or dandlion leaves tend to tempt mine if you can get hold of any.

glad it all went well and hope he is soon on the mend. He looks a real cutie! :)

hi,

are you booked back at the vet in a couple of days for a post op check up? i would ask them about how long the collar should stay on but i think most of mine were ok after 2/3 days.

flat leaf parsley or dandlion leaves tend to tempt mine if you can get hold of any.

glad it all went well and hope he is soon on the mend. He looks a real cutie! :)

He went back this morning for his post op care and he has another appointment in a weeks time for a check up.

He doesnt like parsely at all but never thought to try dandelion, thank you i shall try him in the morning :)

Thank You :) :wave::D

Sorry, I missed this yesterday.:oops: Hope you have managed to tempt him with some food. Is he wearing the collar all the time? I've heard that this can cause problems as bunnies need to eat their caecotrophs. Sending him recovery vibes. :wave:

Have you thought about modifying a baby vest so its like a little shirt to cover his stitches so he can't get at them.

I would imagine it wouldn't cause too much problem if the rabbit can't eat his caecotrophs short term buts its also going to make eating difficult for him. Do you remove the collar for short periods when you are there watching?

Back