• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Foster bun advice

unalakey

Mama Doe
I have a new Foster bun here at present, a litle fluffy indoor lionhead:love: He is gorgeous. He lives in one of them Ferplast cages ( i personally would not have a bun in these) but i have left it open and added a run onto it, he never voluntary comes out of his cage as i dont think he is used to being out:( i have to lift him out, he has a quick hop round then goes back in his cage, anyway as a result his nails are really long (not curling in his skin or anything) but def need a trim, as i have only ever had outdoor buns whose nails dont need cutting, as they wear down naturally in their runs, i need advice on the best way to cut them, he is abit skittish at being held, but seems to enjoy being brushed. I do cut my piggies nails though, Is it the same?:oops:

Yes the same as piggies you need to look for the nerve and make sure you don't cut it. If the bun has dark nails and you can't see the nerve growing through it just clip the ends off rather than risk a bleed.

I usually sit on the stairs with the bun on their back on my knee, stroke the head to calm them, once calm I keep part of my hand on the chest area while holding a paw to cut with the other hand. Just watch out they don't suddenly spring up.

Yes he has dark nails, i will give it a go, just dont want to freak him out, might leave him another week although not sure how long he is here for, he was an emergency placement:cry: will def have to be done before he leaves though, thanks

I did all my buns for the very first time, the girls were easy as I could see where to cut but Oscar I wasn't exactly sure, so I just kept taking small amounts off, held him firmly so he felt secure, or you could put bun in towel with paw out one at a time, it was mainly their front nails that needed doing.

I did all my buns for the very first time, the girls were easy as I could see where to cut but Oscar I wasn't exactly sure, so I just kept taking small amounts off, held him firmly so he felt secure, or you could put bun in towel with paw out one at a time, it was mainly their front nails that needed doing.

Yeah, think wrapping him in a towel might be best, thanks:wave:

Back