• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lionheads

dbu13mr

Young Bun
Hi everyone,

Thanks for your messages regarding P@H. You confirmed my thoughts and managed to put me off them totally!

I've heard from the SSPCA and the two buns that came in are about 5 months old, both unneutered males who have had to be separated as they were fighting. Now, I know I said I didn't have room for two hutches but I remembered the dog cage I got for a hen, which was perfect for Peach post op, and as we not have another shed I thought it could go in there. Not ideal, but if I swap the buns around each day it should work, esp as they don't seem to be large babies (the cage is fairly substantial) and it'll be a short-term measure until "done" and bonded.

These two are lionheads, a breed I've not really come across much before. I've heard epilepsy is common in lions in America. Is the same true here? And how much grooming do they need? Alternatively, if I'm going to have to bond them anyway, I could go for the other two rabbits at the centre instead (a young male and young female) but I'll see what they're like.

Anyway, thanks for all your help.

M

i have 3 lionheads and they al have no health problems...the only known health problems are their teeth but mine have great teeth :D.
grooming wise it depends...my male who is really fluffy (double mane) needs it about 2 time weekly...the females dont really need much asthey are not as fluffy but in the winter season they get their winter coats which are fluffy so you have to make sure you brush regularly to avoid their fur clumping together

Im no expert but I believe it is considered easier to bond a girl and boy pair. Also once male bunnies have fought I heard it is harder to bond them again.

ETA: If you really wnat the boys why dont you rehome one, get him done straight away and ask the centre to have the other on reserve for you and ask them to neuter him in the meantime (you could pay them for this). Then you dont have to worry about housing them separately.
Also I think changing their territory (cages) round every day would stress them out, but I dont see the problem with a crate in the shed as long as its not too cold and they both have separate runs to go out in.

Last edited:
Back