• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Best bunny money-saving day ever!!!

Zahirre

Warren Veteran
I'm so excited about my savings that I need to tell you all :D

Found a farm shop only 20 mins away which sells Megazorb, so just got our first big 85l bag :D £6.25 :D
From the same shop we got a big bag of Burgess pellets £2.19!!! (P@H £4)
And then... A 10kg bag of Hay for £4.25 (P@H 3kg bag £5.19)
Even better though, the owner said that their bales of hay are only £4 each but we didn't have anything to carry it in, so next time, we'll get that :D He said he wasn't taking any new customers on for the hay etc but because it's just for our bunnies, he'll sell bales to us :D

Next bargain... went into Carpet Right to see if they had some lino off-cuts... The man was sooo lovely, he gave us a huge off cut for free! There's enough to do at least 3, possibly more, 6 foot hutches!

Wilkinsons, £1.75 litter tray and £1.48 for 3 pots of grow-your-own herbs!!!!

Wooop :) Happy day for me and the bunnies! Means more money for bunny toys!
That now takes my weekley spends on food/hay/bedding down from around £20-£25 to under £10!!!! Now... who said buns were expensive? :p (joking, btw :p)

Nice find! I might have a look in my local one for a litter tray, Buzzbys has been chewed and I worry about it not coming properly clean in the rough bits. Ill look out for grow your own too, although I might need to grow my own lawn full, Buzzby eats well, the piggles eat mroe than my horse I swear!

Aww yay, so I converted you to Megazorb I see! :d Glad you found a stockist nearby xxx

You did indeed!!! It's been our saviour :D Works fantastically for the cat litter tray aswell! Going to save us a small fortune! Cat litter alone was working out £8/£9 per week just for Selby and Dexter!
Just kitted out the indoor hutch aswell for Pumpkin and the babies... They now have a very posh lino floor and a lovely blue litter tray filled with Megazorb and hay and a big pile of fresh Meadow Hay courtesy of the farm shop!

What an incredible money saving day!

Are the cats happy with the change? Do you just put the megazorb in the tray on its own for the cats?

I'd like to try it but don't want to end up using different substrate for the buns and the cats - which is why I ended up using wood pellets for both. With eight buns and nine cats I spend a fortune on wood pellets though.

Sounds like you made some real savings there:)

Are the cats happy with the change? Do you just put the megazorb in the tray on its own for the cats?

I'd like to try it but don't want to end up using different substrate for the buns and the cats - which is why I ended up using wood pellets for both. With eight buns and nine cats I spend a fortune on wood pellets though.

Sounds like you made some real savings there:)

I popped the Megazorb in a while back to try him on it and he loves it! He kept pinching the buns litter box when they had it instead of using his own so we tried it!
He seems to really like it and I suppose it's nice and soft on his little paws. It also makes it easier for him to cover up all his leavings, which he is always sure to do!
He's been on wood pellets, catsan... you name it, we've tried it! Megazorb is sooo cheap and I swear you can't smell a thing. With the pellets (especially with the buns) the smell was horrendous. Since we've been converted, no smell what so ever! And, we don't need to change the buns litter trays out any where near as much!

Wow! Thats fantastic :D You know what this means? You can get more bunnieeees! Lol :lol::lol: I'm going to have a look round near where I live and see if there's anywhere I can get hay from in bulk, it's the dearest thing now. megazorb is ace isn't it? I swapped over to it last summer and have saved a fortune on wood pellets we get it off the hay experts as can't fins anywhere local that stocks it - would you mind saying where you get it from? As we are in York every weekend picking up my OH's son.

I run a rescue and have found the joys of farm shops for a long time. Try horse feed surpilers too.

I buy 20kg of rabbit nuggets for £6.60 and 15kg of Chudleys for £8.80. OK they only last me 4 days for my 35 buns but they are well fed.

I get my hay direct from the falmer, £6.00 per bale, or £3.00 for a split bale. Really nice green stuff. Mine won't eat bagged hay now.

I've just secured a contract with a veg surplier. Any spilt bags, mishaped or due to go out of date. (stuff they can't sell to there hotel chain). Goes in a box. I collect 3 times a week. All for free. They have to pay by the ton for there waste to be taken away, so they snapped my hand off when I said that I would take it for free. And doing my bit for reclyling.

Don't forget I told everyone about my veggie box. At Chrsitmas I wrote to all my neiugbours, (In there Christmas cards) asking for veggie peelings. They still drop veggies in the box now. It's placed on my front wall. So exciting getting home and finding carrot peelings in there.

Newspaper for hutch bottoms are free. A freind of mine asks her mum to get all her freinds at church to save theirs for me. Most of the crosswords have been done but thats ok as most my buns can't hold a pencil.

With a little thought it's amazing what you can get for next to nothing or free.

Back