• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

1 of my rabbits for rehoming...maybe..

kk_kayla

Mama Doe
...have 2 more up to...me and my oh went through our finances and figured we prob wont be able to get the rabbits vaccinated or spayed till next year if we are lucky...also they go through alot of food and we dont think we can afford to feed all rabbits for the next couple of months ( television license is due...just had the gas and electric bill which is extremely high as we have had to use the electric heater alot)
its not something i want but after going through everything discovered we just cant afford it....it means my indoor rabbits wont be able to go in the run in the summer as they will be at risk because they wont have thier injections.
i have flosso up for rehoming at the minute but so far have had no interest at all. :(
we decided we definatly have to rehome at least 2 of out rabbits. flosso for sure as he needs to get his injection done again in about a month and we cant afford them.
i have food supplys for just over a month, but when they run out its going to be a struggle :(

how many rabbits do you have in total are they bonded? maybe you should consider if a rescue would take them in though i know they are all very busy as ever. as they would then at least be vaccinated and neutered also as soon as you are able you could always pay a donation to the rescue (be it in several months or a year or 2) to say thankyou for helping you at this time? what food are they currently on could they be changed onto a cheaper (butt not less nutritious) type of food ie maybe by growing your own herbs and grass/plants for veg and changing from ss/excel to the wagg optimum? how about hay could you get a bulk buy bale from a farm rather than shops it wouldnt stop financial woes forever but may help with the current pinch? what about doing things like selling bits on ebay? or a car boot sale to raise funds? or seeing if someone could long term foster them (IF its was a short term soloution but i gues sthat depends on why the current cash flow and if likely to change?) good luck i feel for you x also where have you advertised flosso for rehoming prehaps there are more pplaces you could try? such as local vets, preloved, free ads, rabbits united on the rehoming section, rabbit rehome finda furry? etc etc? i would put you want a nominal donation towards him and ensure you do a home check to ensure the right sort of home. good luck x

Last edited:
i have 3 indoor rabbits ( were a trio but then the 2 female got pregnant so they are all seperate at the minute) and 1 ourdoor bunny whose brother lexo died a little while ago :( .
my bf has lost his job due to the company going bust and we dont really have any savings...i dont really have much to sell for a car boot.
i did call round a few of my local rescues but all off them are full at the minute.
(oh also there are 4 babies but ive already got homes for them.)

I'm sorry things are so difficult. Inside rabbits are just as much at risk as outside rabbits when it comes to needing vaccinations so do bear that in mind when having to make decision.

I know that any decision like this is hard though.

I do think you need to be aware that generally rabbit rehoming is slow, and down, so you may not get any fast interest, depending where you look.

I do hope you manage to come up with a solution for them and for you though.

There was a thread recently about bunnies on a budget in Rabbit Chat. That might be worth a read for you.

i think if i had 1/2 rabbits i could afford it...but i think ive got a few to many at the minute to be able to afford them on a budget

Do you have to pay your TV license? Could you get away with no using the TV to pay for the vaccs? That would prehaps be a help if its possible.

i think if i had 1/2 rabbits i could afford it...but i think ive got a few to many at the minute to be able to afford them on a budget

Sorry you're feeling overwhelmed. As far as food goes, why don't you cut down the dry food to about a teacup a day and find a farm or stables nearby who will sell you a bale of hay? They last ages, even though the bunnies use it as food and bedding. Even if you get rid of several of your rabbits, this will save you a small fortune over the couple of months the bale wil last.

Do you have to pay your TV license? Could you get away with no using the TV to pay for the vaccs? That would prehaps be a help if its possible.

another idea i realised i should have said is the tv license can be paid for in installments i do that and it works out at 12 pound per month ! :) yo ujust ring them up to change it! x

I pay mine every 1/4 gives me time to save for the next payment, I don't know what food you buy but as suggested if buns are healthy an eggcup should be sufficient and a bag should last longer, I also ecommend a bale of hay if you can split it and store, it will last you a couple month and I pay £4 for a bale.
Good luck, hope things work out, sadly we never know what is around the corner for us.

Sorry you're feeling overwhelmed. As far as food goes, why don't you cut down the dry food to about a teacup a day and find a farm or stables nearby who will sell you a bale of hay? They last ages, even though the bunnies use it as food and bedding. Even if you get rid of several of your rabbits, this will save you a small fortune over the couple of months the bale wil last.

Good idea. Also they sell bale size bags at The Range which last me quite a while, they are £4. They last me around a month :wave: Aslong as they have hay to nom on, hay to play in isnt a must. Just eating it is important.

another idea i realised i should have said is the tv license can be paid for in installments i do that and it works out at 12 pound per month ! :) yo ujust ring them up to change it! x

It's £22 for the first 6 months then drops to £11 as they like you to be a bit in credit so they know they can trust you. :roll: :lol: Still, it's better than a lump sum of about £150 in one go.

Back