• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits and ramps

missr

New Kit
Hello, we have recently got a rabbit and brought a two-storey hutch for him, and hopefully one other. It was marketed as suitable for up to two rabbits or chickens, and has a large sleeping/nesting area upstairs and a run downstairs, connected by a ramp. He will go up and down the ramp but needs encouragement. It has been suggested to me that ramps are unsuitable as rabbits physically cannot get down/up them as they cannot climb. I'm sure they can, but wondered if anyone else had experienced this? We've put treats down the ramp to encourage him. We've had him about a week, so is it something they get used to after a while?
Many thanks
x

Somebuns just dont like ramps. Leave food on the ramp at different levels to encourage them and over time they'll get it :)

They certainly can use ramps, my two have one in their dog crate and zoom up and down it like maniacs :)

You could also try putting a raised platform under the bottom of the ram so the incline isn't so steep.

Is the ramp just wood or does it have a covering?

I have a wooden ramp to a second level in my wendy house set up and my buns wouldn't use it. I stuck carpet tiles to and straight away they started going up and down it. With mine it was just a case of them not being able to grip properly on the bare wood, so they didn't feel safe.

Olive has no problems but Timmy was a bit slow on the uptake. Now he flies up and kind of slides down with confidence! I think they can climb too if they choose, but all buns are different.

My guys have a ramp in their shed.
It has wooden rungs on it.
We attached edges for security & initially conned them with treats up the ramp til they got the hang of it.
Hope this helps. :)

I don't have much to add that others haven't already said. I also used to tempt bunnies with treats up ramps, but we had one who refused so we used stairs (not as good as Stators, I must admit) and she got up them fine. I think some that the pet shops design are far too steep which could possibly be the problem.

My new buns seem unsure about going back down the ramp, and its covered with a sandpapery material, so I'm hoping the grippage is okay

It's just one of those things that might take time to adjust to :)

My new buns seem unsure about going back down the ramp, and its covered with a sandpapery material, so I'm hoping the grippage is okay

It's just one of those things that might take time to adjust to :)

We attached low edges to each side & our buns adapted to the ramp more quickly, especially the down direction.

We attached low edges to each side & our buns adapted to the ramp more quickly, especially the down direction.

If push comes to shove, I might have to add slats and edges to make them secure. Like your buns, mine have the problem of going down. Bit like a cat stuck in a tree :lol:

I had to put a little platform, only a few inches high, underneath the bottom of the ramp and my bunnies now fly up and down it. :wave:

Back