• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bachs Rescue Remedy.....

honey61

Mama Doe
I've heard certain Bachs remedies being used for buns, but I wondered if anyone has used/or knows if the Rescue Remedy is safe to use?

Roo has a long day tomorrow, treatment in the morning & an appointment later in the day an hours drive away..... so trying to think of something to help ease the stress of it all for him. Unfortunately he cannot have any medication to relax him prior to his appointment, so anything must be completely natural.

If anyone has any tips, they would be much appreciated :)

I used it to help bond my first male and female. There wasn't anywhere in the house she hadn't been and bonding a male to female territory...well it's hard work. It just felt like she needed to relax and give him the chance to get near her and say hello. I can't say it definitely works but it didn't hurt when I tried it in their water, I think I may have put a drop on some pieces of dried food too. I've used it around bonfire night too.

I saw this mentioned in a thread the other day and Prettylupin was recommending it for a highly stressed rabbit however, there are two types or something - I'll try and find the thread, it's only a couple of drops, I'd never heard of it before but, seems logical, I'd check it with my vet first however because I always thought the Bach flower remedies contained a small amount of alcohol.
ETA yes here it is
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=266962&highlight=screamed&page=2

Last edited:
I saw this mentioned in a thread the other day and Prettylupin was recommending it for a highly stressed rabbit however, there are two types or something - I'll try and find the thread, it's only a couple of drops, I'd never heard of it before but, seems logical, I'd check it with my vet first however because I always thought the Bach flower remedies contained a small amount of alcohol.

Hmm ... that's what I thought too......

Thats great... Thank you :D

No offence to Prettylupin as she always gives great advice but, i think I would personally check with your own vet just because everybun is different and there could be a contraindication in your rabbit's health record to mean that you shouldn't use it, better to check with them I'd say.:wave:

It has got some alcohol in it.

But I suppose it's similar to something like glucosamine. When I suggested this to my vet he couldn't understand how a rabbits digestion could cope with it as it comes from sharks and as we know rabbit are herbivorous. However you can get Burgess pellet food with it in.

I used it after it being suggested to me. You could always try a tiny bit at first. You don't need much for a bunny as I think it's 3 or 4 drops for a human.

The alcohol content in 1-2 drops is so minimal it won't have any effect. :wave:

It is also a homeopathic remedy so is unlikely to interfere with any other medication, unlike herbal medications which do have active ingredients.
However, if you are not sure then by all means check with your vet first. :)

But I suppose it's similar to something like glucosamine. When I suggested this to my vet he couldn't understand how a rabbits digestion could cope with it as it comes from sharks and as we know rabbit are herbivorous. However you can get Burgess pellet food with it in.

I used it after it being suggested to me. You could always try a tiny bit at first. You don't need much for a bunny as I think it's 3 or 4 drops for a human.

The protein component of glucosamine can come from many sources. I have had it confirmed by an exotic vet that even if from animal/shellfish sources it is so refined and in such small amounts that it is unlikely to cause any problems.

You can get vegetarian glucosamine :)

Also alcohol levels are minimal, its because the extracts disolve better into alcohol than water. A different company (A.Vogel) that manufactures herbal tinctures explained that the amount of alcohol in one serving of their products was equivalent to the amount created by your own body whilst digesting a banana or a slice of wholemeal bread. Obviously rabbit digestive systems are different but the bach flower remedies are safe for pets and they even have their own pet range I think.

The protein component of glucosamine can come from many sources. I have had it confirmed by an exotic vet that even if from animal/shellfish sources it is so refined and in such small amounts that it is unlikely to cause any problems.

This was a few years ago, as my vet looked into the research and there wasn't much about the use in rabbits. I was happily relieved to find out that burgess for the older buns had it in not long afterwards. I like to think it helped her hind legs in the last couple of years.

I think it just goes to prove that complimentary treatments could possibly be used for everyone and every-animal, it just takes someone to do the research.

:D

You can get vegetarian glucosamine :)

Anecdotale evidence from other members on here seemed to indicate that the vegetarian form was less effective. I can't remember but I think the exotic vet also agreed. :?

We use the Synoquin Cat Capsules and they have been extremely helpful in maintaining joint mobility, they don't help with the pain and inflammation but am certain they have improved Nino's flexibility and joint wear.

Anecdotale evidence from other members on here seemed to indicate that the vegetarian form was less effective. I can't remember but I think the exotic vet also agreed. :?

We use the Synoquin Cat Capsules and they have been extremely helpful in maintaining joint mobility, they don't help with the pain and inflammation but am certain they have improved Nino's flexibility and joint wear.

I had this conversation with my vet when I suggested it originally. He wasn't convinced about a vegetarian form becuase of what the original form is made up of. As usually is the case it had been tested for cats and dogs, but at the time not rabbits. I'm glad to hear it has now though. :D

As for the original question about Bachs Rescu Remedy. I've tried it. I couldn't say it definitely works, but I felt at the time it did the job I needed it to.

I had this conversation with my vet when I suggested it originally. He wasn't convinced about a vegetarian form becuase of what the original form is made up of. As usually is the case it had been tested for cats and dogs, but at the time not rabbits. I'm glad to hear it has now though. :D

As for the original question about Bachs Rescu Remedy. I've tried it. I couldn't say it definitely works, but I felt at the time it did the job I needed it to.

I agree with this. The first time we travelled the buns down (2 and a half hours) I had given them the Rescue Remedy and they were so calm and slept the whole way, on the way back I didn't and they were wide awake and jittering about in the carrier on my lap the whole way! :roll:
I don't use it now as they are so used to the travelling, but I have used it before and after a stressful vet visit. It is hard to tell how effective it is but it 'seemed' to have 'some sort' of effect and I guess when you are anxious about your bun if it makes you feel like you are doing something helpful and it keeps you calm... then ultimately bunny will be calm too.... plus you can always have a few drops yourself as well ;)

Hmm do you know if they can have chondroitin too? And how do you get them to take capsules? I always assumed I'd have to get the liquid (and normally much more expensive) form. Or do you have vege capsules instead of gelatine ones, so you can open them and pour contents on food?

Hmm do you know if they can have chondroitin too? And how do you get them to take capsules? I always assumed I'd have to get the liquid (and normally much more expensive) form. Or do you have vege capsules instead of gelatine ones, so you can open them and pour contents on food?

As long as you empty out the contents from the capsule isn't that enough to seperate out the gelatine, isn't it just the capsule that's made from gelatine?

Oh god the capsules are huge there is no way you could get a bunny to swallow one of those! ;)

I empty the contents out onto a tiny Chinese tea cup saucer I have and with a teaspoon mix it into a tiny piece of banana. The banana turns to mush and soaks up all the glucosamine powder. Nino then just licks it off the saucer until he gets every last drop! :D:lol: It took him a while to learn to lick and not just try and bite the plate, but now he's an expert and never misses any! He loves banana time.. Poppy gets a tiny piece as well so she doesn't miss out (plain banana). We use a tiny ring of banana and they get about quarter-half a thin ring each that's all, minimal sugar content.

Yes, RR is safe to use on animals & I have used essences (including Bach) on all my buns successfully-the alcohol content is minimal.

As well as in water & on food you can also give rabbits (& other animals) the RR on the top of the head between the ears (so in the middle on the head basically) - just apply 4-5 drops on your hand and then apply to this spot (you don't need to rub it in so they will have a 'punk like' look with their fur until it drys). :)

Back