• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

best rabbit carrier?

Happydays

Young Bun
Hi

I've done a search and couldn't see a thread on this, apologies if I've missed it or this is in the wrong place

Murphy is going to have The Chop on Friday and we haven't got him a carrier yet. My sister (vet nurse) says to get a small cat carrier (the vet is round the corner from here!) but I did see some special (and dearer!) special rabbit carriers in P@H - but they seemed to be clear plastic all the way round and very small.

Any thoughts? As I say, he isn't going very far, we are lucky to have a decent vet 2 minutes drive up the road.

Are you thinking of getting him a friend? If so I'd go for a bigger one, a cat one, so that you can take both in future without splitting them up.

Hello
I have a cat carrier.
I did want a top loading one but they were all small ones (there are bigger ones around) but I got a cat carrier and now I'm quite pleased I did because he can put himself in and out (sometimes with a food bribe).

Brill, my sister was right again!! Cat carrier it is. I thought they looked better. Murphy chewed up the cardboard carrier he came home in.

Not sure about getting a friend, he is a rescue bunny used to being on his own. We'll see how he is after The Snip and we move house and things - could I cope with two as 'lively' as Murphy?!

Thanks for your help

Bunnies usually like friends :)

My two are both rescue bunnies, they were alone, but they were paired up before i brought them home.

You would probably find that two is just as easy as one. I used to have a single bun and i used to worry about him if i was out for a while, but now that i have these two i know they are keeping one another company :)

As mentioned here a cat carrier is many peoples choice as it is big and comfy for them and they can see out and you can see in I have always found my bunnies are comforted by that.

A lot of the ones for rabbits are to small or just dont feel right

We'll think about another bunny when things settle down after the house move etc.. :) We've only had Il Murpho 6 weeks so still getting used to everything. Want to make sure we're getting it right for him (SOO much to learn!!) He does seem happy at the moment - and cheeky!

He was a school pet before, poor thing, so he is much happier in our quiet house than he was. The lady friend we will see about. :)

And I'll get him a cat carrier on the way home from work tomorrow, thanks everyone.

Then we have to worry about his op :( My sister gave me a list of questions to ask the vet, they must think I am an anxious parent - but a lot can go wrong wth rabbits and my sister knows her stuff (lives too far away to take Murphy to her vet though, unfortunately)

Last edited:
Those that have this, is the top part of the door open, as in a gap? Or is there clear plastic covering it?

It's clear plastic. One of the other photos shows it better. I also have a photo that shows it better too. I'll find it.

Oh it doesn't show it as well as I remember :oops:

_IGP7963-vi.jpg

If you click the last photo on the link though you can see the door more clearly.

Oh it doesn't show it as well as I remember :oops:

_IGP7963-vi.jpg

If you click the last photo on the link though you can see the door more clearly.

Thanks, it shows it well dont worry. Gosh Mischa looks so small next to it. Its a great design, looked and shame they dont do larger sizes though :(

Thanks, it shows it well dont worry. Gosh Mischa looks so small next to it. Its a great design, looked and shame they dont do larger sizes though :(

Do you need it for a larger bun then? My two have plenty of room in them and can both flop easy. I also got all four in but it was a little tight, they couldn't flop.

Do you need it for a larger bun then? My two have plenty of room in them and can both flop easy. I also got all four in but it was a little tight, they couldn't flop.

Yeah he cant flop in his 48cm one at the moment, but could in the 58cm one that he came with (which was broken so now used as a litter tray). So I'm guessing he couldnt in this one as its 51cm :( Shame I really like the fixed handle and food dish idea.

I have the carrier Kermit linked to as well and highly recommend it. :thumb:

To put them into it, I use the top opening, but I like the fact that you can also open the front door (as shown in the photo a couple of posts above) so that they can hop back out by themselves. :D

It's very sturdy too and has a built in handle (which is also for the car seatbelt to go through) so it's much safer, and there's less 'swinging about' when you carry it.

Go to WILKINSONS!!!! £14 for a great sized carrier. Good quality too :)

That's the one we have. It's big enough for my two but not too big that they slide around and get lost.

I line mine with newspaper and hay to stop them slipping on the bottom and to give it a comfy feel.

Back