• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

fiberplex - soooo stuborn

little-laura

Wise Old Thumper
My rabbit Yuki has just been neutered the vet said its important that I get her to take the fiberplex... however.... she will not take it... I cant use the normal method of forcing her to take meds due to her just recently having her operation...

Any suggestions on how to get this suborn bunny to take her meds?

This :)

Although i dont have the same issue, i just hold the syringe up to Incas mouth and she tries to bite the plastic, then i just squeeze it in, i am lucky that way.

When I gave it to Mini she would refuse it and Mischa would be all over it trying to get it. :roll:

I have put it on lots of different types of rabbit munch and veggie and she smells it and turns her nose up at it -______- sigh....

-______- I was afraid of that.....

shes glaring at me at the moment I think she knows I am planning something lol

if you kneal down on the floor and put her on the floor between your legs you'll find she can't back away. Try putting the syringe in to the side of the mouth, behind the front incisors where there's the gap.

Hopefully this might help.

:)

you can feed rabbits bananas? 0_0 I have had rabbits for years and never known that

Yes and especially useful for medications - about a teaspoon and mash the fibreplex into it, bit of luck she'll lick it up! Mine love it, I managed to get Metacam into them using good old banana trickery :lol:

Yes and especially useful for medications - about a teaspoon and mash the fibreplex into it, bit of luck she'll lick it up! Mine love it, I managed to get Metacam into them using good old banana trickery :lol:

cunning plan is cunning I shall try this tomorrow ¬_¬ shes still glaring at me as if to say "dont you try anything" lol

Worth a try, it can be really stressful syringing them, another way is to perservere and sit next to her and just keep putting a little bit on her paw or the side of her mouth so she licks it, I'd try the banana - the vet told me to do the metacam in banana and it worked a treat and that is stronger tasting tbh so there's a good chance.

Why does she have to have the fibreplex,:? how long ago was she speyed? Has she eaten for herself normally - fibreplex is normally a balancing pro-biotic so not medication as such - bit like actimel for us I would say so for buns with loose poops etc, critical care is the food that is normally syringed for buns not eating post spey, did she have pain relief?

My buns dont like bananas, must just be fusspots haha. When Honey had to have fibreplex, I just held him between my legs, hand on his scruff, tilted his head slightly and popped it into the side of his mouth, but I had had plenty practice when they had myxi and were getting loads of meds! The fibreplex was pretty thick compared to when he was having metacam, so it would perhaps be easier to syringe if you were to mix it in a bowl with a little water then use a small syringe to give her it instead?

My buns dont like bananas, must just be fusspots haha. When Honey had to have fibreplex, I just held him between my legs, hand on his scruff, tilted his head slightly and popped it into the side of his mouth, but I had had plenty practice when they had myxi and were getting loads of meds! The fibreplex was pretty thick compared to when he was having metacam, so it would perhaps be easier to syringe if you were to mix it in a bowl with a little water then use a small syringe to give her it instead?

It really depends when she was speyed though, if she has just had the op it could do more harm than good.

Otherwise you can get pro fibre pellets. They're more expensive and have a little less fibre in but buns are more likely to eat them :)

she turned her nose up at the banana lol suborn bun! I am taking her to the vets tomorrow for them to check on her so I will ask them for other options.

Back