• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Young Pregnant Bunnies?

PixieRabbit

Mama Doe
Hi, anyone got any advice on young pregnant rabbits? I got four babies the other night. Well I call them babies, they're nearly five months old.
I'm sure at one point they must have been around the males, because both have swollen tumtums, one is a lot heavier than the other.
They both feel over 2 weeks, so no emergency spay right?

I'm keeping them inside where I can keep a good eye on 'em. x

If breeding you'd usually do it before they're a year (so about 8/9 months).

Their growth might be affected (although as average rabbit's growth ends at 6ish months I think they'll be ok), and make sure they have extra food, but honestly it's better that they have their litter when young, than when over a year, as the pelvis bones fuse together, and they can have awful trouble with giving birth.:(

Just keep them comfortable.:)

How many are females?

Also....swollen tummies could be something far more sinister. Please book a vets appointment (and don't feel the tummies yourself, as if there are kits in there then you could damage them.)

Just two sisters. Here's a photo of one. I've been around a few prengnat females, and I can roughly guess how far along they are. This one feels just over two weeks. And I can gently stroke their bellies, they're tame enough.

180227_141424949252001_100001534913720_249261_8147946_n.jpg

And her sister feel's nearly due.

I'll see if I can take them in, you can myxi jab pregnant girls can't you? might as well make good use of the visit. x

Edit! I wont move Molly around, it can cause more stress, and more problems for her if she is pregnant which I'm 100% certain of. I'll take Chewit in, that way if the vet notices she has something, THEN I'll risk Molly's health. x

To be honest, the large percentage of rabbits don't show when they are pregnant (if they show its generally only just before they pop when they are lying differently, they don't necessarily look different to the eye) so I would be more suspicious of something else going on before pregnancy.

How can you tell that a rabbit is 'just over two weeks pregnant' unless it got pregnant in your care? I really just don't see how you can tell to that degree of accuracy :?

How can you tell that a rabbit is 'just over two weeks pregnant' unless it got pregnant in your care? I really just don't see how you can tell to that degree of accuracy :?

Likely only a really experienced breeder who was used to palpating would be able to tell to that degree of accuracy, to be honest. They can tell from 10 days or so.

Are you used to palpating pixierabbit?

Likely only a really experienced breeder who was used to palpating would be able to tell to that degree of accuracy, to be honest. They can tell from 10 days or so.

The vet showed me when Flopsi had a phantom when she was younger.

I'm guessing. It's not accurate at all. I read a lot into it when I used to want to breed, and it's good knowledge for a rescue to have. They start to bulge at two weeks, and they look heavily pregnant just as Sky says when they're ready to pop. I've felt a pregnant bunnies tumtum before. So I know it feels the same.

They're eating, pooping, drinking and playing just fine, otherwise I would see the need for concern.

Oh and please feel free to join our facebook :) I've had these girls two days only.

I'm guessing. It's not accurate at all. I read a lot into it when I used to want to breed, and it's good knowledge for a rescue to have. They start to bulge at two weeks, and they look heavily pregnant just as Sky says when they're ready to pop. I've felt a pregnant bunnies tumtum before. So I know it feels the same.

I'm sorry but that's just not true :?

I'm sorry but that's just not true :?

It's what I researched. From what I recall you should be able to feel little pea like shapes in the tummy. I've never felt them before so I wouldn't know what to feel for. Her belly isn't swollen, more like firm. I could be wrong, no idea. I'm just guessing because she's not like her sister if she is she'd be that. Last time I was totally wrong I thought Iris was 2 weeks when she came in, and she gave birth within days.

By the way I think I mumbled my words. I meant to say they have a big bulge when they're ready to pop at 4 weeks. Not at 2 weeks.

The vet showed me when Flopsi had a phantom when she was younger.

How can the vet show you to palpate babies on a doe that isn't pregnant? :s

Didn't they show you when she had her litters? Had 2 didn't she? Or was it just the 1? Or maybe I'm getting her and Storm mixed up as she also had a litter didn't she?

I'm sure I read somewhere that palpating babies can damage them? Maybe I read that wrong somewhere.....

thats a bit of a loaded question, following that statement above.

I feel sorry for rach on here as she is constantly having to defend herself agains people accusing/ininuating that she breeds.

Being a rescue in an area where there are a lot of people who are uneducated in the ways of caring for rabbits is hardly Rach's fault.

Rach are these the ones you were talking about the other day?

How can the vet show you to palpate babies on a doe that isn't pregnant? :s

Didn't they show you when she had her litters? Had 2 didn't she? Or was it just the 1? Or maybe I'm getting her and Storm mixed up as she also had a litter didn't she?

I'm sure I read somewhere that palpating babies can damage them? Maybe I read that wrong somewhere.....

That's true it can. I didn't know if she was pregnant, Charlie had just dropped and gotten spayed and with them staying at Kevins moms at the time and Flopsi started to build nests so I got paranoid. The vet palpitated her to see if she was pregnant.
Yes Flopsi had two. The first was deliberately planned. I was naive and stricken with grief.

I feel sorry for rach on here as she is constantly having to defend herself agains people accusing/ininuating that she breeds.

Being a rescue in an area where there are a lot of people who are uneducated in the ways of caring for rabbits is hardly Rach's fault.

Rach are these the ones you were talking about the other day?

Yeah, waited up all bloomin night for these as their previous momma had gotten lost :lol:

Yeah, waited up all bloomin night for these as their previous momma had gotten lost :lol:

:roll: Well at least they are with you.

How does your vet feel about late spays, some will do it, some might not. My vet did a late one with a cat I got. He just explained that there were more risks involved, and what they were and asked if I wanted to proceed.

:roll: Well at least they are with you.

How does your vet feel about late spays, some will do it, some might not. My vet did a late one with a cat I got. He just explained that there were more risks involved, and what they were and asked if I wanted to proceed.

I'd only do it if Molly or Chewit were in danger. I'm up early and will make an appointment at the vets. I really don't want to stress Molly if I don't have to though.

I personally wont get her neutered if she is literally about to drop and has no health risks. I know they're not human, but aborting little lives that have just as much right to live as me and you just feels a little wrong to me. I'm probably being naive again. But I'll always do whats best for Molly or Chewit.

I'd only do it if Molly or Chewit were in danger. I'm up early and will make an appointment at the vets. I really don't want to stress Molly if I don't have to though.

I personally wont get her neutered if she is literally about to drop and has no health risks. I know they're not human, but aborting little lives that have just as much right to live as me and you just feels a little wrong to me. I'm probably being naive again. But I'll always do whats best for Molly or Chewit.

At the end of the day it is a personal choice, wether personal or being the animals guardian.

I was just putting it out there as an option. I do think there are enough rabbits in this world that we don't need to bring more in to it.

Upside, cute baby bunnies get rehomed quicker!!

At the end of the day it is a personal choice, wether personal or being the animals guardian.

I was just putting it out there as an option. I do think there are enough rabbits in this world that we don't need to bring more in to it.

Upside, cute baby bunnies get rehomed quicker!!

:lol: True.

My opinion is I didn't bring them in deliberately. They're here, with little heartbeats and ears waiting for a chance in life. And I'm a big soft hearted fool. :roll: It breaks my heart thinking they'll not survive anyway like with what happened to Iris. I don't know how anyone can breed, loosing babies is like loosing your own children. :cry:

thats because she has admitted to breeding (pet shop rabbits at that). In fact she labeled herself a "breeder"
:roll::roll:

thats because she has admitted to breeding (pet shop rabbits at that). In fact she labeled herself a "breeder"
:roll::roll:

In all fairness after what you did could you kindly not bother 'jumping in'. This isn't an argument or a debate. This is me asking people what their experiences are with young mom's as I'm genuinely concerned about a rabbits welfare thank you very much.

On a note, they were rabbits bred by the guy running the pet shop who I knew very well. And who talked to me long and hard about their genetic's. And I wanted to breed I honestly admit that. And after extensive research I changed my mind. Simple as.

Last edited:
In all fairness after what you did could you kindly not bother 'jumping in'. This isn't an argument or a debate. This is me asking people what their experiences are with young mom's as I'm genuinely concerned about a rabbits welfare thank you very much.

On a note, they were rabbits bred by the guy running the pet shop who I knew very well. And who talked to me long and hard about their genetic's. And I wanted to breed I honestly admit that. And after extensive research I changed my mind. Simple as.

and, what did I do exactally? :roll:

Back