• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ran out of straw

rabbitz123

Warren Scout
Hello ive just ran out of straw and im worried sick that pheabea will get really cold i have bales and bales of hay but no straw.Would it be alright to fill her whole bedding area with hay however i did this last time and she had eaten all of it and i think she put on weight what can i use as an alturnative until i can get some straw or shall i just put hay in for feeding and that be it i do have an cover on her hutch aswell that does sort off keep the warmth in

I only use hay. Put lots in even if she eats it, it's good for her. If you think she is getting fat let her have more exercise and or cut down on her pellets. Buns should have unlimited hay so it won't hurt her :)

Don't worry, just put tons of hay in and it should be fine. The hutch cover should help immensely. If you are really worried though, if you have a snuggle safe, you could put that in. xx

Hello ive just ran out of straw and im worried sick that pheabea will get really cold i have bales and bales of hay but no straw.Would it be alright to fill her whole bedding area with hay however i did this last time and she had eaten all of it and i think she put on weight what can i use as an alturnative until i can get some straw or shall i just put hay in for feeding and that be it i do have an cover on her hutch aswell that does sort off keep the warmth in

Not sure how many people here use straw for bedding. I don't - I use all hay. It's unlikely that your bun gained weight through eating the hay you put in her bedding area - she needs to eat as much hay as possible to keep her gut 'moving'. I would have thought that too many pellets would be more to blame for weight gain. If it were me, I wouldn't bother buying any more straw - as you say you have bales and bales of hay.

Back