• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My bunny keeps screaming!!!

Helf_for_ant

Young Bun
Hi all

I've phoned the vet but thought I'd come on here whilst waiting for them to call back.

I took on a dwarf lop that was no longer wanted around 1 month ago all has been well until friday, I went into their summer house to feed the gang and on me opening up Branston rolled onto his side and started screaming lasting no more than a minute I thought maybe it had scared him with the sudden light as it was still dark outside and thought I'd keep an eye on him. Then yesterday he had another one and again today. Does anyone have any ideas why hes doing this.

I have thought it maybe why the other owners didn't want him bless him.

I also had a French Lop around 5 years ago that had fits and he did exactly the same but then I was told there was no treatment avaliable and all I was told to do was to put a towel over his head to bring him round quicker not sure if this is correct info or not but I was recommended to take him to this vet at the time as he was one of the best bunny vets in Oxfordshire.

Any help would be great

Cheers
Laura

Sending loads of vibes for the bunny. I use Hook Norton Veterinary Group which also have branches in Charlbury and Deddington. Not sure whereabouts you are in Oxfordshire.

I'm sorry I can't help but I am sure someone will come along soon. You are doing the right thing getting him checked out by the vet. It must be terrible for both of you. I hope things inprove and he's OK. Please keep us informed.

I don't know what it could be, but at least you are doing the right thing and speaking to the vets.

I would imagine that the vets will want to see bunny.

Positive vibes from me xx

It sounds as though he is having fits so an examination by a Vet is essential.

Possible causes of fits include EC, severe heart/lung disease, bacterial brain infection, advanced liver disease..................

A full examination and appropriate diagnostics are needed ASAP

Good luck.

sounds scarey my first thoughts is E-cuniculi, does it look like he's fitting?
hopefully your vet can help

sounds scarey my first thoughts is E-cuniculi, does it look like he's fitting?
hopefully your vet can help

Just come off the phone to vets and she seems to think it E-cunicuil never heard of it myself :oops: so going to do some research.

Does anyone know if its something my other bunnies can catch

Thanks everyone for all the help

Sending loads of vibes for the bunny. I use Hook Norton Veterinary Group which also have branches in Charlbury and Deddington. Not sure whereabouts you are in Oxfordshire.

I live in Oxford but I use a vets in Bicester called Harts there great there but the one I took my French Lop to was in Chipping Norton

Thanks Jacks-Jane have had a look great info.

Wasn't able to find out if he could pass it onto other bunnies so to play it safe I think I may keep them apart to be on the safe side I don't want to risk the others getting it, it'll mean giving him extra attention but its worth it.

Fingers crossed if it is that we have caught it early enough to treat it as some of the cases and things it can cause sound nasty :(

Keeping him in a darkened room with no stimulation such as noise or sudden movements should hopefully help keep him calm and stop him from fitting.

Good luck and sending lots of get well vibes x

My Miffy had this. It paralysed her back legs for almost a month. :cry: The vets put her on several drugs including baytril (antibiotic) and metacam (for the pain). Thankfully it was caught and treated early and she made a full recovery. She's still fine 4.5 years later!

When the vets do manage to see your bunny, please make sure they give pain meds.

Best of luck.

AMETHYST

Pain- almost certainly.

VHD onset of mixi?

Does VHD or mixi start like this then,

Hes at the vets 2morro shes going to research bunnies that suffers with fits as shes not very sure on that as shes never had any bunnies in with that before but feels its a good idea to treat him for E-cunicuil which will mean him being on meds for 28 days just to rule it out and to be on the safe side

Does VHD or mixi start like this then,

Hes at the vets 2morro shes going to research bunnies that suffers with fits as shes not very sure on that as shes never had any bunnies in with that before but feels its a good idea to treat him for E-cunicuil which will mean him being on meds for 28 days just to rule it out and to be on the safe side

No, deffo not myxi. Could be a symptom of VHD but I think he'd most likely be dead by now or at least showing major other symptoms

No, deffo not myxi. Could be a symptom of VHD but I think he'd most likely be dead by now or at least showing major other symptoms

Thanks so much for that was really getting worried about that with him being a rescue bunny I dont have any history on him at all I have booked him in next wk for his myxi jab. No other signs other than him having these fits which hes not had any today

Wasn't able to find out if he could pass it onto other bunnies so to play it safe I think I may keep them apart to be on the safe side I don't want to risk the others getting it, it'll mean giving him extra attention but its worth it.

He could pass it on to other bunnies, because it is transferred through urine. :( If he has been with your other rabbits, it may be worth treating them all with Panacur.

Sending lots of vibes for your bunny xxx

Back