• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fruits?

Some of my bunnies favourites are banana, apple, strawberries, pear and grapes. Well yes they pretty much like all fruit as its quite sugary. I give mine it very rarely, usually once a month.

I dont feed mine fruit it tends to give them a bad tummy and sticky poops, but every bun is different, i would give a little and see how he goes, watch his poops too :) casper only gets a little pear when he is poorly and wont eat sometimes it stimulates him, but apeart from that they stick to there veggies :)

I dont feed mine fruit it tends to give them a bad tummy and sticky poops, but every bun is different, i would give a little and see how he goes, watch his poops too :) casper only gets a little pear when he is poorly and wont eat sometimes it stimulates him, but apeart from that they stick to there veggies :)

Cool, thank you. I don't want no more messy bums after Saturday :lol:

I rarely feed fruit for the reason that a small piece gives Mini a sticky bum and I feel wrong giving some to one pair but not the other :oops: If I do though it's a banana or apple. Mischa had some after his injections recently as he can tolerate it and I needed something to get me back in his good books. :oops: But normally I stick to a small bit of carrot, a peapod or baby corn for treats. Or some timothy or oat, wheat and barley hay or some dried plantain or dandelion or a extra pellet or a fenugreek crunchie.

Ooooh baby corn! I'll try him with that.
I don't want to give him an upset tummy, feel so bad when their tummies are off. I had to bath the poor lil bear on Saturday bless him.

Ooooh baby corn! I'll try him with that.
I don't want to give him an upset tummy, feel so bad when their tummies are off. I had to bath the poor lil bear on Saturday bless him.

If he's had problems recently personally I wouldn't give any fruit or sweet veg. I'd stick to hay, a small amount of pellets and leafy greens for the moment or even just hay.

I very occasionally give a piece of apple or a grape. I vary their diet with different types of herbs, veg and hay. You can get dried herb mixes for bunnies from pet shops - I sprinkle them into the hay and mine love sifting through for them. Maybe this would be a better option if your bun is prone to tummy problems? Remember to introduce them gradually though. :)

Thank you :)

His tummy is fine now - I'd only give him a piece of fruit occasionally. He has loads of hay and veffies and herbs :)

Thank you :)

His tummy is fine now - I'd only give him a piece of fruit occasionally. He has loads of hay and veffies and herbs :)

Have you tried apple twigs and apple leaves? casper prefers these as a nice tasty treat as a alternative to sweet fruit.. i find there nice for his belly too as he has a senstive belly :)

Mine get apple and pear - Sue daily, the others once or twice a week. All their tummies are fine:)

None of them like banana - they leave it if I offer it to them.

Mine get a small amount of fruit equal to a teaspoon daily, a small piece of banana and a small piece of apple or a red grape and they are fine, they are all good hay eaters with golden poops, they love their little bit of fruit. I think it's actually better than a lot of shop bought treats :wave:

I do not feed fruit at all

:lol: I definately need my 5 a day, my buns have a teaspoon amount per day not a teaspoon of banana then a teaspoon of apple - just to clarify, it does have to be introduced in small amounts though that is fair comment, I used to buy the dried apple bits from excel till I found maggots in a packet, chopping a teaspoon size bit of apple and sprinkling on some hay is a good treat aswell.:)

Mine have a little bit once a week with there veg.

They have either apple, pear, strawberrys, blueberrys, mango or pineapple
Mine adore Strawberrys.

I occasionally give a small piece of apple or carrot, I'm mean when it comes to fruit though so they often go months not having any!

Here is the list from the RWA :) They are suggesting up to two tablespoons worth per day is OK but, i think that depends on the size of your rabbit tbh and how much fibre they are taking in, you could end up with loose poops I think feeding that much daily :wave:

Vegetables:
• Artichoke leaves
• Asparagus
• Baby Sweetcorns (but not full size ones)
• Beetroot (care with leafy tops as high levels of oxalic acid)
• Broccoli (and its leaves, including purple sprouting varieties)
• Brussel Sprouts (leaves and sprouts)
• Cabbage (can sometimes cause digestive upsets)
• Carrots (and carrot tops) – the roots should be limited as they are high in sugars
• Cauliflower (and the leaves)
• Celeriac
• Celery (and its leaves)
• Chicory
• Courgette (and flowers)
• Cucumber
• Curly Kale
• Fennel
• Green beans
• Kohl rabi
• Parsnip
• Peas (including the leaves and pods)
• Peppers (red, green and yellow)
• Pumpkin
• Radish Tops
• Rocket
• Romaine lettuce (not Iceberg or light coloured leaf)
• Spinach (only occasional)
• Spring Greens
• Squash (e.g. Butternut)
• Swede
• Turnip (only occasional)
• Watercress

Herbs (often powerful tastes so may take some getting used to):
• Basil
• Coriander
• Dill
• Mint (peppermint)
• Parsley
• Oregano
• Rosemary
• Sage
• Thyme

Fruits (should be fed in moderation, due to sugar content – up to 2 tablespoons worth per day):

Apple
• Apricot
• Banana (high in potassium)
• Blackberries (and leaves – excellent astringent properties)
• Blueberries
• Cherries
• Grapes
• Kiwi Fruit
• Mango
• Melon
• Nectarines
• Oranges (not the peel)
• Papaya
• Peaches
• Pears
• Pineapple
• Plums
• Raspberries (and leaves – excellent astringent properties)
• Strawberries (and leaves)
• Tomatoes (not the leaves)
Wild Garden Herbs/Weeds/Flowers:
• Borage
• Calendula
• Camomile
• Chickweed (astringent)
• Clover (leaves and flowers)
• Coltsfoot
• Comfrey
• Dandelion (diuretic properties)
• Goosegrass (cleavers) but may stick to coat!
• Lavender
• Mallow
• Nettle
• Nasturtium (leaves and flowers)
• Shepherd’s purse
• Sow Thistle
• Plantain
• Yarrow

Back