• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vibes for Sugar Please

Captain Helen

Wise Old Thumper
Please can I have some vibes for my foster bun Sugar?

She's really not herself. She keep stretching out with her stomach pressed against the floor. Every 60 seconds she'll change position. Sometimes she'll take a few hops then flop out again.

I'm guessing something like gas? We're off to the vets in a few minutes.

I hope it's nothing serious. :(

Thanks everyone.

We're back from the vets. He wasn't sure if it was gas or a blockage. :? He described her as "colicky".

She's had injections of a gut stimulant and Metacam.

I asked if I should syringe her water and he said she's not dehydrated and water doesn't help to get the guts moving, only food will. :?

He's not the rabbit savvy vet, it was too late to see her. :(

He said to take her back tomorrow evening if she's no better. :?

Should I leave it a couple of hours for the drugs to kick in before doing anything else?

Maybe some tummy rubs and get her to move round a little bit to try to get things moving (but not enough to stress her)

Sending her lots of vibes.

Maybe some tummy rubs and get her to move round a little bit to try to get things moving (but not enough to stress her)

Sending her lots of vibes.

Thanks. :wave:

We're not really on good enough terms yet for tummy rubs. We're still working on nose rubs! But the good news is she's moving around a lot more now. Still no eating, but no pressing her tummy to the floor.

I think that's an improvement! :)

I think I spoke too soon. :(

She's stopped moving around and is back to how she was earlier. :(

I've managed to give her some tummy rubs and syringed her some water.

I've got some Science Recovery stuff, but I'm not sure whether to use it, if there's a possibility of a blockage. :?

Poor Sugar. :(

Can you try her with a bowl of water with a dash of boiling to make it luke warm. Mine like it like this and definitely helps with the water intake.

When one of mine had a blockage (the one who doesn't like being held), I just held her on my knee and rubbed her tummy - awkwardly I must admit. I also got her to run round for 5 mins every hour, it felt mean but it must have helped eventually.

Just a thought - did the vet check teeth. If my dental bunny is in pain he lies down then gets up i.e. restless, and it is normally his teeth.

I've tried pushing a bowl of water and some food near her, but she's just not interested.

The vet only checked her front teeth. He's really not a rabbit vet. :(

She's sitting hunched up and shaking right now. I don't know if it would help taking her into the house, or if it would be too warm for her. :?

I've brought Sugar inside for the night. Not sure if it's the right thing to do. I need to keep her apart from Princess if I want to get a couple of hours sleep, so I can see if she's eaten or passed anything.

She seems to have stopped shaking already at least.

She's never been inside before, so I think she's pretty scared. :(

Have you contacted Gwen about Sugar as I think she would want to know if there was something wrong with her as she will no doubt want Sugar to see her own vet :(

Have you contacted Gwen about Sugar as I think she would want to know if there was something wrong with her as she will no doubt want Sugar to see her own vet :(

I haven't yet, as it would have been too late to get her there last night. I'll call her now.

Sugar hasn't eaten anything or passed anything overnight. I stayed up with her til 2am, then got up at 6am to syringe her. I've brought her back down to Princess now so she can hop around. She's had some recovery food, which she didn't hate, she even licked a bit off the spoon!

She's hopping around now exploring the room.

OK, I've spoken to Gwen, and she recommends that I keep trying with her. She's suggested pineapple juice and baby food, and some more Metacam.

I've got some blackberry leaves to try, but can't find any dandelion leaves.

If you can't find fresh dandelion leaves, pets at home do dried dandelion, that might be worth a try!

If she is back outside it might be worth giving her a heat pad so she can snuggle up to it if she's not feeling great, as heat helps.

Does she have any food she loves? When my foster bun went into stasis we tempted him with strawberries and he did eat a few bits of that.

Sending you lots of vibes for Sugar !

Don't know what to suggest unfortunately, other than give her lots of love which you are doing and keep going with the syringe feeding with anything you can get her to eat.

Does she like pineapple juice? I know that rabbits are supposed to but Barney hates it! Loves apple juice but wouldn't go near by syringe for ages after i tried the pineapple!

Last edited:
Back