• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny Trios

Grin

Wise Old Thumper
Pro's and cons?

I love the idea of there being 3 incase anything happened with 1 of them, they always have a snuggle bun but i read it can compromise exsisting bondings?

I dont think mine are bonded particularly well - as in they like each other and Lucky is attentive (Daisy is more passive) but sometimes it's a bit love/hate - and they often squabble over food! :lol:

I'm wondering if it would be a bad idea to introduce a friend?

I know we spoke the other day and i voiced my idea of the whole - breaking up an existing bond possibly if it doesn't work out and that one bun *can* be left 'outside' of the bond if you see what i mean :wave:

I'll let people with Trios and the experts to comment :)

Pros, more bunnies to snuggle with, one not left by itself if one dies, works betetr for the kind of rabbit that needs more company, more bunnies means more stimulation.

Cons, has to be the right kind of bunny (the wrong trio can end up with one left out or not happy bunnies, etc), can break already bonded pairs (into a different single and pair or even three singles).

That's off the top of my head, but there will be more for both, I'm sure.

So the main issue here is rather than pro's and cons - the question should be "Is it worth breaking the existing bond for my own selfish need of wanting another bunny to coo over!?" :oops:

Honestly, i love my two to bits but i was thinking about the bereavement scenario. And i *think* i have everything needed to offer a bun a home and maybe it's seeing all the PACT bunnies of late and my decision not to bury my head in the sand over such matters anymore???

Everything said, it was just a thought - i will always do my best and what i think is right for my two. xx

I have always preferred trios to pairs, but I have always worked my trios so a male is either added to a pair of girls or vise versa. I have never attempted to add another bunny to a male/female pair

I have always preferred trios to pairs, but I have always worked my trios so a male is either added to a pair of girls or vise versa. I have never attempted to add another bunny to a male/female pair

I understand that.

From what i know about Daisy too, she was unsuccessfully bonded with females before going into rescue (or maybe it was after - am pretty sure it was the reason why she was in rescue though). And i know the bonding was attempted twice (i *think* with different females too). I also know she wasnt the one who came out worse off!! :shock:

So maybe my thoughts should end there. :)

So the main issue here is rather than pro's and cons - the question should be "Is it worth breaking the existing bond for my own selfish need of wanting another bunny to coo over!?" :oops:

Honestly, i love my two to bits but i was thinking about the bereavement scenario. And i *think* i have everything needed to offer a bun a home and maybe it's seeing all the PACT bunnies of late and my decision not to bury my head in the sand over such matters anymore???

Everything said, it was just a thought - i will always do my best and what i think is right for my two. xx

What would happen if they divorced and you couldn't rebond them back?

Or if one chose the new addition and kicked the other one of the pair out?

It can be worth it in the right circumstances, with the right rabbits.

Do you think both of yorus would cope with/in a trio?

Reading what Liz has written, I have done all three at once, added a boy to a girl girl pair (three times, but twice was with one boy), and twice I have added a rabbit to a male female pair (one girl, one hermaphrodite).

i am having severe problems with my trio. :cry:

i will work something out if i can't get all 3 to be happy together but i will never do it again.
pairs every time after this! :roll:

What would happen if they divorced and you couldn't rebond them back?

Or if one chose the new addition and kicked the other one of the pair out?

It can be worth it in the right circumstances, with the right rabbits.

Do you think both of yorus would cope with/in a trio?

Reading what Liz has written, I have done all three at once, added a boy to a girl girl pair (three times, but twice was with one boy), and twice I have added a rabbit to a male female pair (one girl, one hermaphrodite).

I'd be devastated for them if their bond broke and things would be awkward with them having different living spaces - not impossible but awkward. And then i'd have to worry about harsh winters because having an inside bun again is not an option. I guess that makes it a no-goer then.

I'm honestly not sure if they would cope in a trio - but my pair seem to have an odd relationship - Lucky acts in a more 'female' manner and Daisy as the dominant male :lol: (Except when Lucky tries his luck and gets frisky - as Daisy is bigger she just hops out of the way though).

The bonding of any of these combinations certainly dont sound easy - and i didnt even bond my pair so have no experience.

I was just pondering initially - i think i will just stick with what i have and carry on with the virtual campaigning. I'm sure it must help in some small way. :)

The pros and cons what I would say have been done.

My group have been abit disturbed.

I had Blue, Honey & Bracken originally, Bracken was left out abit as Honey never warmed to her, so would often leave her out or tell her off for getting close to Blue if it was her snugle time.
I then adopted Dizzee Rascal so decided to bond him to the group which in turn ment I actually split up my trio. Honey and Blue rejected Bracken aswell as Dizzee and Dizzee was injured.
Then they went to my local rescue were Dizzee wouldn't accept Honey but Bracken was accepted back into the trio.

My trios stronger then ever now but it can break up bonds. When Dizzee and Bracken got rejected, Honey and Blues bond broke too.

I think I had some major unluck with my bondings thoughand my tempremental dutch lot :lol:

Now I have 5 o Dizzee has a girlfriend for himself.

i am having severe problems with my trio. :cry:

i will work something out if i can't get it to work but i will never do it again.
pairs every time now.

I'm so sorry to hear that and i hear your warning! I hope things improve xx

I dont think mine are bonded particularly well - as in they like each other and Lucky is attentive (Daisy is more passive) but sometimes it's a bit love/hate - and they often squabble over food! :lol:

Mine are exactly like this so I do understand and when Cheeky was hospitalized , once home again I had to re bond for over a week and Tilly is still a bit of a bossy boots to this day.
So their bond is not the best I've seen and now I have young Munchkin (male) upstairs who I will be trying to bond with them. :shock:
I do realise that this could break the girls bond and have planned ahead just in case. :D

The pros and cons what I would say have been done.

My group have been abit disturbed.

I had Blue, Honey & Bracken originally, Bracken was left out abit as Honey never warmed to her, so would often leave her out or tell her off for getting close to Blue if it was her snugle time.
I then adopted Dizzee Rascal so decided to bond him to the group which in turn ment I actually split up my trio. Honey and Blue rejected Bracken aswell as Dizzee and Dizzee was injured.
Then they went to my local rescue were Dizzee wouldn't accept Honey but Bracken was accepted back into the trio.

My trios stronger then ever now but it can break up bonds. When Dizzee and Bracken got rejected, Honey and Blues bond broke too.

I think I had some major unluck with my bondings thoughand my tempremental dutch lot :lol:

Now I have 5 o Dizzee has a girlfriend for himself.

Lol - so your idea was to increas the size of the rabbit family! :lol:

Mine are exactly like this so I do understand and when Cheeky was hospitalized , once home again I had to re bond for over a week and Tilly is still a bit of a bossy boots to this day.
So their bond is not the best I've seen and now I have young Munchkin (male) upstairs who I will be trying to bond with them. :shock:
I do realise that this could break the girls bond and have planned ahead just in case. :D

Good luck!!! x

I think it all depends on the bunnies :)

My Trio worked out great but they were all 3 singles.
But then adding George worked even better because their bond got stronger! :love:

You know your bunnies best, and im sure a rescue could help you choose the right bunny to 'date' or bond with your current pair if you wish to increase your bunny population ;)

But if you do... you must keep us updated! ;)

Goodluck with your decision :wave:

I though by getting Dizzee Bracken wouldn't be so left out :oops: :lol:
I should of stuck with my 2.....now I have 5 :lol:

thanks, me too. :?

i hate the thought of seperating one and at the moment i couldn't afford the cost of another to have 2 pairs.
i could seperate but like someone before me it wouldn't be very practical, and they have such a good set up it seems a shame not to have them all use it.

it is still early days but it's making me ill with worry! i just want them to be happy together again. :(

Back