• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Damp hay Question

happybunny22000

Warren Veteran
The buns have several "tubs" as litter trays for hay, tumbs for just nomming, alot of this spills over onto the floor of the wendy house and when it is cold I put extra hay on the floor - problem is depsite my best efforts of insulating with silver bubble insulation the hay is damp and cold

does anyone else have this problem?
and if not - why do I?

Do you have electric outside? I have a small tubular heater in my buns' shed and it is always dry. Or maybe foam tiles on the floor may help? Not sure though but I would have thought it would help with insulation :?

what about putting newspaper down first? i know the buns will probably have great fun ripping it to bits and making a terrible mess but it should keep the damp at bay a bit better.

what about putting newspaper down first? i know the buns will probably have great fun ripping it to bits and making a terrible mess but it should keep the damp at bay a bit better.

Hmm I did this on a temporary hutch and the newspaper didnt seem to help, the hay still felt damp. Like someone else suggested I am going to put a tubular heater in my new set up as I am sure this will help (providing you have covers etc for the hutch). I have just bought one so if you want the link just PM me :wave:

mine does yes. :wave: a bit strange really as i was only thinking the same thing the other day.
in one half i have a 3ft hutch stuffed with straw with a quilt drapped over. the quilt feels damp but the straw doesnt! :?

Back