• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

bladder sludge

what exactly is it?
what causes it?
how can i cure/prevent it?

and is this a cause for concern?...
found it when cleanning their pen, somebun missed the litter tray.
possiblebladdersludge.jpg

Thank you Jane, these are very useful. It could possibly have been hematuria, but i think its more likely to be sludge. It didnt match the image shown, but another document said it can be "curry-coloured", id definitley agree with this.

They are going for their vaccinations on Monday, do you think i should request to see my rabbit savvy vet rather than the VN? I have no way of telling which bun it came from though :? - is it worth dividing their base in half for a few days?

Would it be useful to take some urine samples to the vet with me? If so, how do i go about collecting some?

What veg is high in calcuim, how often is it safe to feed and what veg should i avoid?

Also (sorry for all of the questions, if i dont get them down, ill forget!) is there anything i can do at home apart from feed a diet low in calcium to help rectify the problem? What i mean is, could it be a one off or will this be a problem untill s/he is treated? And what should i expect my vet to do, if it is sludge, how serious is the problem?

Thanks, Jane.x

It does not look like sludge to me. Calcium deposits can often be visible in dried Rabbit wee.

If you read the links you will see lots of information about treatments *if* bladder sludge is diagnosed

There is some more info here, including a list of suitable Veg

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/info-sheets/calcium.htm

I would wait until the Vet examines the Rabbit(s) before trying to get a urine sample unless a very obvious example of sludge is passed and you know for certain who passed it.

It does not look like sludge to me. Calcium deposits can often be visible in dried Rabbit wee.

If you read the links you will see lots of information about treatments *if* bladder sludge is diagnosed

There is some more info here, including a list of suitable Veg

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/info-sheets/calcium.htm

I would wait until the Vet examines the Rabbit(s) before trying to get a urine sample unless a very obvious example of sludge is passed and you know for certain who passed it.

If their urine drys on their mats it usually leaves a chalky powder behind that comes off with vinegar (i know this is calcium), but the picture i posted was partially dried wee, it was a day or 2 old and definitly thicker and gooier than what they normally have. Sorry that sounds gross!

So i should just reduce any calcium rich veg until ive seen the vet on monday and stop worrying until then? Im hoping it was just a one off, but theyre so good at going in their litter tray i wouldnt know!

I would check all of them for signs of leaking wee or abnormal (for them) staining around their genitals/tail/ insides of hind legs. If any of them have this then I'd get them seen by the Vet this week. Any signs of straining to wee would definitely warrant a prompt Vet consult.

Loss of litter tray habits is another symptom of bladder problems so that is another thing to look out for.

Cutting back on pellets would be a good idea and adding a probiotic such as Avipro Plus to their water may encourage them to drink more, as would giving them bowls of water rather than water bottles.

I would check all of them for signs of leaking wee or abnormal (for them) staining around their genitals/tail/ insides of hind legs. If any of them have this then I'd get them seen by the Vet this week. Any signs of straining to wee would definitely warrant a prompt Vet consult.

Loss of litter tray habits is another symptom of bladder problems so that is another thing to look out for.

Cutting back on pellets would be a good idea and adding a probiotic such as Avipro Plus to their water may encourage them to drink more, as would giving them bowls of water rather than water bottles.

Hi jane :wave: i dont know whether you saw my thread on casper but he was very uncomfortable a few days ago and i rushed him to the emergancy vets, took urine tests and i had the results back today, she said there was not bacteria but he had some grit granuals in his pee and also little microscoppic bits of blood, so she is advising to try and flush him out natullarly by persuading him to drink lots (iv been putting water on his veg and pellets) if this doesnt work he will have to go in to be "flushed". He has got better through the past few days so im quite happy with him but i was woundering whether i should add a probiotic? i havnt used them before just trying to think of things i can do to help the process, i dont really want to change his diet alot at he is coming up to 9 this year and i worry about him not liking a new diet.. i feed him excell pellets, spring greens/rocket/basil and timothy hay (chopped as his dental) and meadow hay.

I say it every time, Jane. I dont know where id be without you! :oops:
I checked Marley this morning, hes all clean, smells fine, clean and dry around genitals and bottie. Couldnt catch Dolly, but ill try again tonight.

They have only had 2 pees out of the litter tray since saturday. They had been at Steph182s house for 5 days last week, i put it down to that? Ill keep an eye on them though.

They have been smelling a little funny when going to the toilet recently. But they peed on a towel earlier and it smelled fine. Sorry for all of this ridiculous info, i just want to make sure ive thought of everything.

I have some bio-lapis, they only have a water bowl and dont tend to drink from a bottle now, so will it be ok to put in there? I could just give them 50ml of water and top it up when theyve drank it?

Pellets - they only have an egg cup each as it is, mixed with some dried meadow herbs/dried black currant leaves/dried dandekion leaves. Should i cut back to an egg cup and a bit between them? They have SS.

Im sorry Jane, i feel so silly! :oops:

Hi jane :wave: i dont know whether you saw my thread on casper but he was very uncomfortable a few days ago and i rushed him to the emergancy vets, took urine tests and i had the results back today, she said there was not bacteria but he had some grit granuals in his pee and also little microscoppic bits of blood, so she is advising to try and flush him out natullarly by persuading him to drink lots (iv been putting water on his veg and pellets) if this doesnt work he will have to go in to be "flushed". He has got better through the past few days so im quite happy with him but i was woundering whether i should add a probiotic? i havnt used them before just trying to think of things i can do to help the process, i dont really want to change his diet alot at he is coming up to 9 this year and i worry about him not liking a new diet.. i feed him excell pellets, spring greens/rocket/basil and timothy hay (chopped as his dental) and meadow hay.

A probiotic in his water will be fine. The one that gets my Rabbits to drink much more is the Avipro Plus

http://www.vetark.co.uk/pages/Avipro-Plus_1.aspx

I say it every time, Jane. I dont know where id be without you! :oops:
I checked Marley this morning, hes all clean, smells fine, clean and dry around genitals and bottie. Couldnt catch Dolly, but ill try again tonight.

They have only had 2 pees out of the litter tray since saturday. They had been at Steph182s house for 5 days last week, i put it down to that? Ill keep an eye on them though.

They have been smelling a little funny when going to the toilet recently. But they peed on a towel earlier and it smelled fine. Sorry for all of this ridiculous info, i just want to make sure ive thought of everything.

I have some bio-lapis, they only have a water bowl and dont tend to drink from a bottle now, so will it be ok to put in there? I could just give them 50ml of water and top it up when theyve drank it?

Pellets - they only have an egg cup each as it is, mixed with some dried meadow herbs/dried black currant leaves/dried dandekion leaves. Should i cut back to an egg cup and a bit between them? They have SS.

Im sorry Jane, i feel so silly! :oops:

I'd limit the dried dandelion leaves for now and just try to get them to drink well. For some Rabbits a probiotic in the water helps, some dont like it.

Lots of exercise is important too as being very sedentary increases the tendency towards bladder sludge.

o yes this is what the vet gives me a little of to stop casper and poppy getting too stressed before going to the vets as casper has his snuffles which is triggered by stress. So can i use this every day? I see its also very good for the gut too! :)

You can use it daily :)

Personally I only use a probiotic to support the guts when a Rabbit is on antibiotics or at other times of stress. I would also use it when wanting to get the Rabbit to drink as much as possible. I do not think it is necessary to use as a matter of routine :)

Back