• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

post spaying advice....

rosienbell

Warren Scout
Hello...
I have two 6month old female rabbits who I am hoping to get spayed asap. I visited my local vet today for a pre op but I didn't feel the vet was that into rabbits and I felt I knew more about them than her..... which made me feel like I dont want them done there.....so I was wondering if anyone knows any Rabbit Savvy vets near to me. I'm living in Great Barr Birmingham, I do drive so I am willing to travel as long as its not to far!
Thank you :)

Last edited:
I highly recommend Jo Day at Vets4Pets just outside Dudley. www.vets.co.uk/practice.asp?dbid=65

She loves bunnies and does a great job with my 7 and has helped numerous times with Fat Fluffs rescue buns that I've been fostering.

If you call then say Abi from Fat Fluffs recommended as I know everyone there really well! If you want to know anything more than drop me a PM x

Chester Road Vetinary Clinic A452 Sutton Coldfield
Stuart there has done spays , castrations, dentals and cancer ops on my buns and g.pigs. He has even sorted out Doodee after her leather eating stunts set off severe gastric stasis.
I *think* they have a branch in the Northside Emergency Clinic Aldridge Road Great Barr.
http://www.thevetclinic.co.uk/

They have contact with a bun savvy vet for anything tricky, over 24/7 care and have a hospital set up. They also have two very bun savvy vet nurses.
Hope that helps.

Hiya Lauren :wave:

Lovely to see you've joined the forum, i knew people on here would know :) You obviously care about your bunnies alot :love:

Let us know how they get on with they spays.

Becky (RSPCA Walsall) :) x

Should also have mentioned earlier that V4P Dudley do a great healthcare package for bunnies. £50/yr for 2 myxi vaccs, VHD, Panacur and quarterly healthchecks with the nurse (Di) who is also very rabbit savvy & a rabbit owner herself :)

Chester Road Vetinary Clinic A452 Sutton Coldfield
Stuart there has done spays , castrations, dentals and cancer ops on my buns and g.pigs. He has even sorted out Doodee after her leather eating stunts set off severe gastric stasis.
I *think* they have a branch in the Northside Emergency Clinic Aldridge Road Great Barr.
http://www.thevetclinic.co.uk/

They have contact with a bun savvy vet for anything tricky, over 24/7 care and have a hospital set up. They also have two very bun savvy vet nurses.
Hope that helps.

You've got a Stuart too???? :shock:

Yep but minds a Mr. Bennet.

He still spends time looking after my feral pair of does even after they have both tried to chomp him. he works on the theory if they are not after his fingers for a snack then they are proper poorly. :lol:

aw brill they are in on the 3rd. I have a white dwarf lop with pink eyes called Rosie and a white netherland dwarf with blue eyes called Bluebell :)
my sis also has two buns called ebony and macy who I wil book in after mine are done!
also, when I booked they said we both get 5pounds credit for you recommending me :D

aw brill they are in on the 3rd. I have a white dwarf lop with pink eyes called Rosie and a white netherland dwarf with blue eyes called Bluebell :)
my sis also has two buns called ebony and macy who I wil book in after mine are done!
also, when I booked they said we both get 5pounds credit for you recommending me :D

Good old Carol on Reception - bless her! Thanks! Will def look out for you and mention your buns to Jo :) x

took the buns in this morn, how scary is this waiting game....
feelin sick, poor little girls.

if anyone has advice for aftercare let me kno!

one question I forgot to ask the vet was will they be ok in thier hutch tonite or better of inside???

Thanks.

Best inside tonight as general anaesthetic means they can't regulate body temp very well. Thinking of you ... They're in safe hands x

Yes definitely inside for a night or two, that way you can also keep on eye on their eating, drinking and pooing.

No wood shavings or straw - just newspaper and perhaps vetbed or towels until the wound starts to heal.

I have my new adoptee booked in for her spay on 21st Feb. Went through this with my very first rabbit and know that it is quite an anxious time. Some bounce back quite quickly (mine was eating and moving around as if nothing had been done to her). Others take just that little bit longer or need tempting to start eating again.

Sending lots of healing vibes :D

Back