• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Where do you forage things from? How do you know what you're looking for?

GrahamL

Wise Old Thumper
Out of interest is there a website people use to identify things they forage for their buns?

I can't find any one website that doesnt contradict with others that has pictures of bunny safe foods.

I've just been through the thread about drying things, and made a list of items, but can't see what they all look like!

I'll be foraging for brambles out the back of my fence :thumb:
DOes anyone know when these need to picked to be most benifical :wave:

Ooh and apple leaves and I may try and find a willow tree :wave:

You need a good book or two :wave:

Virginia Richardson's Rabbit Nutrition book and Green Foods for Rabbits and Cavies is also very good - but neither have great pics.
For good pics you need a good wildflowers/plants of GB - have a look in your library.
I have two really good ones - one which Thumps sent me :love: and the other my dad gave me.
When I can get downstairs I'll look up the names of the authors for you :wave:

I'll be foraging for brambles out the back of my fence :thumb:
DOes anyone know when these need to picked to be most benifical :wave:

Ooh and apple leaves and I may try and find a willow tree :wave:

Brambles grow pretty much all year round (although more in the warmer weather) and so I don't think it really matters when you pick them :wave:

Fields, cemetries, parks with lots of land etc....be aware of area dogs foul...I started off with a camera and posted them on here for Thumps and PL, Leong to confirm what they were etc and I learnt from there. twas a good thread...can't wait for warmer weather :D

Fields, cemetries, parks with lots of land etc....be aware of area dogs foul...I started off with a camera and posted them on here for Thumps and PL, Leong to confirm what they were etc and I learnt from there. twas a good thread...can't wait for warmer weather :D

That sounds like a really fun thing to do...you could involve your kids too :D xx I mean if youhave any xc

My FiL owns a 3 acre field. It has blackberrys growing all down one side, so i can get bramble leaves from a safe area, it only has sheep on the field, so i'll make sure i go high up anyway, just because of the urine reason.

I'm sure there must be other things he has on there that i can pick too :)

can't wait for the wild stuff to start growing again, it makes it much cheaper for buns to have their greens :lol:
i pick stuff where I keep my horse, I only pick stuff when I know what it is but my range is expanding as I can take bits home and look them up.

I vagley remember someone saying they are most benifical at a certain time of the year :wave:

Haven't heard that about Brambles, but it does apply to Blackthorn (Sloe) - Thumps is the expert on that (the Blackthorn is medicinal rather than every day food, so don't try feeding it unless you know what you're doing!)

Do you have any woods by you? I get all my stuff from my allotment and my Dad's allotment and the footpaths. Dogs aren't allowed there unless they are on the owners allotment so in theory at least the paths should be free from dog pee. Our allotments are free from dog pee anyway. I would be very annoyed if someone allowed their dog to do their business on my plot. :evil: There is also a nice BIG patch of brambles tucked away one end :thumb:

I have a nice guide book with is really good so perhaps have a look on ebay or charity shops for one. I go to grave yards :oops: and bridle paths for brambles and quiet country walks where no dogs have been.

Thanks for the book ideas. I have a cemetery at the end of my road and am sure I could find lots of lovely bunny food there. I grow lots of dandelion leaves in my garden too - makes the lawn look tatty but the bunnies are happy, which is all that matters:)

Back