• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sadie on her own after losing Sammy..what to do?

littleboots

Mama Doe
We lost our beloved boy Sammy on Sunday and are heartbroken at the moment.. but Sadie is now on her own and its awful to see her looking sad!
My head tells me that I cant think about getting a new companion for her as the pain of losing Sammy is too great.. but my heart tells me that my girl needs company and I should put her needs first..

That's a very difficult position to be in. :( I've no experience of bonded or bereaved buns, but I hope someone who does will come along soon. xx

We lost our beloved boy Sammy on Sunday and are heartbroken at the moment.. but Sadie is now on her own and its awful to see her looking sad!
My head tells me that I cant think about getting a new companion for her as the pain of losing Sammy is too great.. but my heart tells me that my girl needs company and I should put her needs first..

It must be really hard. :cry:

I know if it was me I'd probably feel the same but would probably put the buns' needs first and adopt another bun' as soon as possible. I would have thought (though could be wrong!) bonding may be easier if you bond Sadie sooner rather than later. But you have to be comfortable making the decision too.

Perhaps give yourself a couple of days to get your head round things then think about what to do? xx

Am so sorry you've lost Sammy -there just aren't words are there really. Hugs for you xx

I know how upset you are by losing Sammy but I think I would probably be ruled by my heart and what would be best for Sadie. If you got her a companion it might also make Sammy's loss a bit easier for you to deal with, too, as you won't be so worried about her being lonely.

Thanks for replies.. Im still struggling to terms with losing Sammy.. ( I got him back from the crem yesterday.. so hes home now!).. but I feel I do have to think of Sadie now..
I have another bonded pair but would be reluctant to try a trio as they are so good together.
I have rung Gwen at Bunny Burrows and she has a lop boy who has been tormented by children and the owner handed him in as she said she was sick of cleaning his dirty bottom... since being at b.b. he has been clean and has had a health check and his teeth are fine.. he was in a filthy hutch so no wonder he wasnt clean!!
I said Ill have a think and ring her this week..
Hope Im doing the right thing!

so sorry for your loss, it is the worst feeling ever to loose a much loved pet.

i lost my female Maisie last july during a freak thunderstorm. i was at work and went racing home, her and Buddy seemed ok so i locked them in and kept checking them. i last checked them about 11pm before i went to bed and the next morning i found my poor girl dead. :cry:

i felt so guilty as i'd thought they were ok, they were acting as normal and eating ok each time i checked them.:(

Buddy was in a bad way and really pined for her, i didn't feel ready for another but ended up getting one a few days later. he still grieved for maisie even though the new bun took straight to him, it was a couple of days before he aknowledged her. they are all ok now.

if your bunny seems ok for your own sake leave it until you feel emotionally ready. if your bun seems sad and is pining you might have to bite the bullet!

Last edited:
Back