• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

honking rabbit

Is she neutered? Un-neutered rabbits "honk" when courting others (incl humans!)

no she is not neautred she has been poorly at min with urine infection and on anti biotics and it stared just before she got ill. i dont have any other rabbits x

I don't have personal experience with girl bunnies, but it's likely to be hormonal. Neutering is especially important with does as otherwise they are more at risk from uterine cancer in later years. Once she is better I would speak to your vet about having her spayed. What age is she?

I don't have personal experience with girl bunnies, but it's likely to be hormonal. Neutering is especially important with does as otherwise they are more at risk from uterine cancer in later years. Once she is better I would speak to your vet about having her spayed. What age is she?

she will be 1 years in june i think the vets said its horrible operation and u dont have to but ob for cancer reasons then yes but rabbit can live and not get it

she will be 1 years in june i think the vets said its horrible operation and u dont have to but ob for cancer reasons then yes but rabbit can live and not get it

If your vet said this, i would consider changing vets.

Whilst it is an invasive operation, the pros outweigh the cons considerably.

Its 85% likely that an unspayed bun up to 5yrs old will contract uterine cancer.

And yes, honking, as others have said, courting (hormonal) behaviour.

Fifi used to honk like crazy before she was speyed, and my mum and I have the scars to prove that after the honking came aggression (not that this will happen in all cases).

I agree with Gray, I find it worrying that the vet would call it a horrible operation - or is that how you interpreted what the vet said? It isn't very nice, and it can be a real worry for the bunny mummy :) as you will see in many of the Rabbit Chat threads.

That being said I really think it is a worthwhile operation, provided the vet who is operating is rabbit savvy (you need to be sure of this, especially if the vet described it as being a 'horrible operation'). A friend of mine lost her unspeyed doe to uterine cancer towards the end of last year, leaving her heartbroken.

I hope she feels better after her infection soon xx

If your vet said this, i would consider changing vets.

Whilst it is an invasive operation, the pros outweigh the cons considerably.

Its 85% likely that an unspayed bun up to 5yrs old will contract uterine cancer.

And yes, honking, as others have said, courting (hormonal) behaviour.

Wot they said! :)

I would try and find your local rabbit rescue centre and they can let you know which vet they use or should be able to advice you on one. They will organise a lot of spaying and neutering for the rabbits that come into the centre so whichever vet they use, you will know that they have lots of experience with rabbits. This is how I found my vet and he's great, he picks her up for cuddles and always kisses her on the head which is very sweet and very reassuring. You may have to travel a bit further to find a good rabbit vet but it's worth it.

Back