• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Feeding two buns? Advice needed please

zayna1

Warren Scout
Hi. Just wanted to know, when you have two buns living together, how do you feed them the right amount of dry pellets? According the the feeding guidelines on the food bag, it says to feed the smaller one 95g per day, and the larger one 120g per day. Is it even possible to get them to keep to their own bowls? (considering they're going to be outside buns in a hutch?) I know they need a constant supply of water and hay...and this they can share, however I do want them to have the amount of pellets required, and neither of them eat all of their pellets in one go. :S

I find that I put mine together and they share OK however if you find one becoming territorial or dominant and greedy you might have to scatter them to enable the other bun a chance to find an equal share, gives them something to do foraging aswell.

It's worth hand feeding greens aswell to guage whether one is greedier than the other and eating all the best bits - I tend to put their greens either side of the dried food bowl which is big enough to allow them both access equally at once - quite often they run to each other's allocation or eat the same bit from either end and touch noses as they meet at the end of the kale strand :lol: They don't seem to be greedy or dominant but, I think if I noticed they were I would hand feed greens and scatter pellets around. Just make sure the bowl is big enough for both to eat together.:wave:

If you give them two bowls and put them about 6 inches apart you should find they eat out of them seperately. This relies on them wanting the food when you give it to them, so if you feed too much you may find they don't eat it quickly and then they will both just eat it when they feel like it

Back