• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Roger the hutch chewer!

mlb84

New Kit
Hello everyone...Roger rabbit has chewed through the hutch door(again).
Have just replaced it(again).
I have given him chew toys, apple wood and he gets 3 hours a day in the run with access to grass/dandelions and ground to scratch at. He had plenty of food.
He can chew through a hutch door over night :(
Please help me figure out a way to get him to leave the hutch doors alone(it is getting expensive!).
:shock:

Attach fine wire mesh or plating to the inside so he can't actually chew it. Lots of people actually line their buns house to stop them destroying it :)

Rodger has a 3 storey hutch to himself. He is a big rabbit but he has plenty of room. Would something like chicken wire work??
x

He has a 3 storey hutch to himself.....I could attach some chicken wire.....just didn't know if it would damage his teeth?
x

No 3 weeks until he gets neutered....I've booked him in @ 6 months! But till then I just want to keep him safe....might resort to putting the hutch in the shed....so if he chews his way out in the night he's in a safe place and will not be eaten/escape! x

Hi there :wave:

I'm having this problem with my little lad, Jeff. We spent Sunday fixing the various bits of hutch he's gnawed off.
He's on his own too - his friend died in September and we've had to wait until he was old enough to be neutered before we bond him with a rescue bun.
Although we give him all the love and time we can, and he's not short of space either, I think he probably is craving company. The bits he's chewed are the doors - the one we open to put his food in, and the one that opens onto the run and gets closed behind him at night. I think he's venting his frustration. Could Roger be doing something similar?

(we're counting the days till Jeff gets bonded with his new lady bun)

So...at the weekend, we bought some lengths of wood and screwed them over the door edges, sprayed them with anti-chew spray (from Pets at Home) and have tied willow stick bundles on top of that. Not attractive, but we're hoping he vents his frustration on the willow sticks then stops when he gets to the nasty tasting wood underneath.

Good luck. I understand how frustrating it is...

Storm did that to her hutch. We move her hutch into the shed and put some wood on the outside to where she'd chewed, and pushed it up against the shed wall. I'm sure they did it for wanting more space and now have free roam of the shed.

You're boy may just be very randy and wanting a mate. Try giving him a teddy.

No 3 weeks until he gets neutered....I've booked him in @ 6 months! But till then I just want to keep him safe....might resort to putting the hutch in the shed....so if he chews his way out in the night he's in a safe place and will not be eaten/escape! x

That sounds like a good plan :)

Hopefully the neutering will calm him down :)

Back