• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My 4 have just had VHD jabs, Mischief screamed!

My buns have just had their VHD jabs, vet used lapinject which I was very pleased about because I didn't even have to ask. :thumb: Blossom had hers first, then Jasper then Tink and no problems, they were very good :) but my poor Mischief hated it. :cry: He lept up as soon as the needle came out and jumped off the table, my mum caught him but he kept jumping. We managed to get him onto the table where he flopped on his side still trying to get away and he screamed. :cry: It was the most awful sound. The vet checked him over and he was fine and tink and jasper started washing him. The vet is very experienced in rabbit care and was surprised he reacted in this way, he said he'd never seen a rabbit act like that before. :shock:

Mischief is fine now and has been happily hopping around eating carrots. I think it just shocked him and maybe stung a little? :( It's not swollen or anything so don't think it was an allergic reaction, it was just such an awful sound. I was shaking and so was my mum, I thought he was going to die on the table! :cry:

I'd much rather he scream at that though than dying of the awful VHD disease.

Last edited:
Poor Mischief glad all is ok.

My buns always get seen on the floor just in case and so that the buns not being looked at are hopping round nearby which helps relax the one being seen

Sounds like he had a bit of a shock from the jab and then the panic of trying to get away afterwards made him panic :cry:. As long as he's ok now that's all that matters. :)

Nino is a bit of a nightmare at the vets with needles and any kind of treatment... he doesn't scream but he is a bit neurotic and will flinch and make a fuss even if it is nothing too much to worry about... he's just of a nervous disposition when it comes to vets. My vet knows this and prepares himself for my neurotic bunny :roll:

Some Bach Five Flower rescue remedy (1-2 drops) either now and/or before he has his vaccination next time might be helpful :wave:

What's that? :)

A homeopathic Bach remedy you can buy in most supermarkets and all health food shops etc. I would just get the traditional drops formulation - they make all sorts of products now - even chewable pastilles for kids! :shock:

It's for humans but can be used safely in animals. My vet recommended it for travelling my bunnies (when we take them on holiday) but you can use it afterward or before any stressful event/situation. I have found it to be helpful and a few other members on here have used it too :wave:
Just don't use the glass dropper in case bun bites it - I tend to put a drop or two on a fenugreek crunchie or a raisin.

A homeopathic Bach remedy you can buy in most supermarkets and all health food shops etc. I would just get the traditional drops formulation - they make all sorts of products now - even chewable pastilles for kids! :shock:

It's for humans but can be used safely in animals. My vet recommended it for travelling my bunnies (when we take them on holiday) but you can use it afterward or before any stressful event/situation. I have found it to be helpful and a few other members on here have used it too :wave:
Just don't use the glass dropper in case bun bites it - I tend to put a drop or two on a fenugreek crunchie or a raisin.

Ok, thanks :) I will bear that in mind next time they are due for a vaccination. It was such a shock as he didn't even jump when he had his myxi last year. :shock:

Awww did the vet hit a bone or nerve i wonder, that does signify extreme terror, next time get him done first so he's not waiting and hold him and cover his head slightly so he can't see poor little mite.

Awww did the vet hit a bone or nerve i wonder, that does signify extreme terror, next time get him done first so he's not waiting and hold him and cover his head slightly so he can't see poor little mite.

He might have done :( He said that maybe he hit a nerve. He felt really bad but he didn't do it on purpose. :( Good idea about getting him done first, thanks. :)

I feel really mean for putting mischief through that, he was clearly terrified. :cry:

As you have four buns would your vet come out to you?

When I had six of mine due for their myxi the vet came to me and it was soooo much less stressful for all of us. I set a table up outside, went and picked each bun out of their run in turn, held them myself and put them straight back in the run. Only one struggled a bit but the others were fine - whereas at the vet they shake and kick and breathe heavily and are clearly terrified.

They didn't go off their food afterwards either like they usually do.

It was my vet's suggestion he came to me and he didn't charge me any extra. It was wonderful and I would thoroughly recommend it. He didn't need a nurse with him, although he did have a girl on work experience, but she didn't do anything at all.

You may live too far from your vet for that to be an option but just thought I would mention it as I was so impressed at what a difference it made the experience for all my buns. When I put them back in their run they just carried on nomming, completely unstressed.:)

Back