• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help please, lots of crust inside ears??

Liz47

Wise Old Thumper
Beano has been quieter than usual I think and scratching and shaking her ears a lot. Whenever I stroker her over her ears she twitches them and runs off, she is really sensitive about them. I tried to look into them but couldn't see anything. I looked just now with a torch, she kept running off and wouldn't let me touch them but I stroked her nose and tried to touch them as gently as I could and she stayed still for a bit. There is a lot of light coloured crust in her right ear, I couldn't see any in her left but it is positioned a bit funny, like sometimes it goes like a lop eared rabbit, so you can't see in it too clearly. It was a bit red too. I am really worried and you can tell she is really uncomfortable :( She has had trouble with her ears before, several times. The vet has given her spot on for ear mites but this didn't help. She had some more spot on and it seemed to go but after a while. Also I have looked up ear mites and pictures and it doesn't look like that. She has good quality hay which looks good and the guines pigs (who also have it) are fine so I don't think she is catching anything from the hay. Gordon (her husbun) is also fine, no signs of anything so it isn't catchy I don't think as he is fine. Does anyone know what it could be? A build up of ear wax?? Thankyou, I'm worried because she has got it again :(

If there is a build up of ear wax it will be secondary to infection or mite infestation most likely. Does she have any mobility problems that affect her grooming her ears properly?

It sounds like she has canker (ear mites) and for this she will need treatment asap again. Sometimes the canker can get quite bad and make bun prone to ear infections, which if left untreated can descend further into the ear canal.
Generally, with any mite infestation, it is often a result of bunny being under the weather and having a lowered immune system than a primary event in itself. Most buns carry mite populations on their bodies in controlled no.s but when bunny becomes run down an infestation can take over.

What sort of treatment was she given - what was the active ingredient in the spot-on? She may need an alternative treatment or a longer course. Are you happy that your vet is rabbit-savy?

It could be an ear infection?

I think its best to get her ears checked by your vet and they should be able to provide you with something to clear them :wave:

Thankyou both, she has no mobility problems, cleans her ears well and has always been healthy and always bouncing around. I am not sure what treatment she was given, it was in a packet that was suitable for a lot of pets and birds I know because I saw that on the packet. My vet has been good with advising me on injections and her spay, she recovered really quickly and I was really pleased, I thought they'd done a good job. However with her ears before she was just given the spot on and I had to ring back as it hadn't had an affect. She was given more and did heal though. I will tell my parents and see if I can get a vet appointment. All her hay, shed and everything is clean and regulary cleaned.

Last edited:
What you are describing seems like ear mites (Psoroptes cuniculi) which are different to the fur mites (Cheyletiella parasitovorax) commonly found on rabbits. I would think a vet visit would be essential to identify and treat the problem. Don't try to remove any of the crust as it can cause further damage by eroding skin.

The spot on you were given before may not have been strong enough if was a general purpose mite treatment for other species. Mostly mites are eliminated by avermectins such as ivermectin or selamectin. The recommended dosage of ivermectin for rabbits is 400 µg/kg (micrograms/kg), the 200 µg/kg is not effective. This is given 3 times at 14 day intervals to break the life cycle of the mites.

Selamectin is a spot on becoming more popular here as it is generally effective with a single dose or in severe cases a follow up dose 30 days later. I know it as Revolution but it may be called Stronghold in the UK.

Ear mites, if this is what the problem is, can cause quite a deal of pain to the bunny so some Metacam or similar may also need to be considered.

I hope you get Beano's problem cleared up quickly.

Oh gosh... we've been here before too!
A vet check is needed asap... Pumpkin contracted ear mites which led to an ear infection which in turn led to a large abscess at the base of her ear.
She recieved 1 injection per day for 2 weeks (sorry, can't remember the name of the medication), had daily metacam and was at the vets twice per week until her op. Unfortunately, she didn't make it but this was due to other complications, so please don't think Beano will be the same.
Really hope you get him checked out and he gets better soon!!!!!

I'm by no means advocating this but when I was a kid one of our rabbits ended up with horrible crusty ears and we had an old rabbit book about keeping rabbits on scraps :)shock:) but it suggested using old engine oil on the scabs. so we did (very carefully) and it worked, within a couple of days the bun had beautiful clean ears.

Really hope you get to the bottom of this, it sounds nasty. vibes for poor Beano.

Thankyou everyone. When my dad gets in from work I'm going to ask him to ring the vets, we might be able to get an appointment for tonight, if not tomorrow. The spot on she's had before was only given once and I don't think it was very strong. I'm going to write the names down what have been mentioned here and ask if it was any of them. I really want to get her sorted as soon as possible so I'm hoping we can get an appointment for tonight, we usually can get an appointment the day we ring which is good. Do I take Gordon with her as they are bonded and maybe best to get him checked too? I've looked and his ears are fine though.

one of my rabbits had this and it turned out to be ear mites....go to the vets...if its ear mites they will give the rabbit and injection and it will all clear up within about 2 weeks

Thankyou everyone. When my dad gets in from work I'm going to ask him to ring the vets, we might be able to get an appointment for tonight, if not tomorrow. The spot on she's had before was only given once and I don't think it was very strong. I'm going to write the names down what have been mentioned here and ask if it was any of them. I really want to get her sorted as soon as possible so I'm hoping we can get an appointment for tonight, we usually can get an appointment the day we ring which is good. Do I take Gordon with her as they are bonded and maybe best to get him checked too? I've looked and his ears are fine though.

Yes :wave: Hope the vet gives Beano what she needs and she's crust free again very soon ;):)

one of my now departed buns had this and it turned out to be mites. he was being treat for an ear infection before my other bun also got them. the vet actually got a mite on a microscope for me to look at.. :shock:

it was daily cleaning, injections and i had to burn all my pet bedding etc and thoroughly clean and sterilise all their living area.

i ended up moving them out of there until they were clear just so i could be sure the mites were gone.

My Totti had a crusty discharge in his ears. I took him to my Vets and it wasn't the usual rabbit savvy one and she diagnosed it as ear wax. A week later we saw the rabbit savvy one and he immediately said it was pus not wax. That was last Sept/Oct and Totti still has the very persistent abscess.

Here's the link to his treatment (still ongoing) - note the pictures are very, very distressing.
Good luck

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=261480&highlight=totti

I would definitely get your bunny to a vet, sooner rather than later, and I would ask the vet to take a sample of the crusty stuff and check it under a microscope- if it's mites it should be very obvious. My concern is that it could be dried pus from an ear infection. Ear infections can be difficult to treat and cause serious problems so it's best to catch them early.

if the crusty stuff does turn out to be pus in the ear I was ask for it to be sent to a laboratory for culture and sensitivity so that you can get the right antibiotics to treat it xx

Thankyou, I hope Totti is doing ok, the pics look awful bless him. I have a vet appointment at 6:20pm tomorrow. If it is ear mites can they live elsewhere like on blankets, surfaces etc?? Beano seems happier today, didn't see her scratching and was running round like usual and she was lifting and moving her right ear about without shaking/scratching it which I am very pleased about although the crust is still there.

Just seen your post lilbun, the last time she went to the vets he took a sample of the crust out and looked at it under the microscope bust said he couldn't see any mites which now makes me more worried it could be something other than mites :( I will ask about that tomorrow.

Thankyou, I hope Totti is doing ok, the pics look awful bless him. I have a vet appointment at 6:20pm tomorrow. If it is ear mites can they live elsewhere like on blankets, surfaces etc?? Beano seems happier today, didn't see her scratching and was running round like usual and she was lifting and moving her right ear about without shaking/scratching it which I am very pleased about although the crust is still there.

:wave: Good luck tomorrow - keep us posted. Sorry I have no idea on whether ear mites can live outside teh ear.

p.s. updated pic of Totti taken tonight added to the thread :love:

Thankyou, I will see what the vet says tomorrow as to weather it is mites then set about cleaning everything as I don't want her to get it again.

Just got back from vets now, he checked Gordon first and said he was spotless which is good. He got Beano out and she wouldn't stop struggling and wouldn't let him get a look at her ear. I held her and she was ready to go for the vet a few times, the vet managed to look in her left ear and said that was clear, her right however is very crusty. She and Gordon (just to be sure) got an injection which is stronger and lasts longer than the general pet spot on and they have to go back in ten days to have another one. Tomorrow I'm going to clean and disenfenct everything as I have a day off school, how do I go about this? They have a shed with some blankets about and a soft bed, a crate in the shed with newspaper, hay and blankets? Is washing the blankets in the washing machine enough to get rid of any possible mites? Could I possibly leave it until friday as school is closed then and tomorrow I have a orthodontist appointment which is very far away and will take most of the daylight hours to get to? I could get up very early tomorrow morning though if it's best to do it asap? If If Beano's right ear is still bad then she will have to go in for a day or two to be sedated, to stop her harming herself and the vet, so he can have a proper look and examine the crust. I'm hoping it won't come to this. Please can I have vibes for Beano's ear to clear!

ETA: They both got weighed too and are fine, Beano may look overwieght but I asked the vet about this and he said she's just a big looking rabbit, he said he could still feel her spine/ribs just right.

Sorry you are having a worrying time with Beano's ear. I'm afraid I don't have any experience to give advice, but I'm certainly sending vibes for her. :wave:

Back