• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Peanut's palace! New NIC cube cage set up

Colyflower

Alpha Buck
Yesterday I built a huge C&C cube cage for my little bun Peanut (aka BB short for bun buns!) It took quite a bit of planning, sourcing materials and cost etc. and quite a few scrapes, bruises and aching muscles from building it but I'm really pleased with how it's turned out! It's huge and takes up a whole corner of my lounge but BB seems to love it much to my relief, which is great!

It's a 4 x 4 cube square, it's got room for the base of her old cage so she has familiar things in there and is great for keeping things tidy, a tunnel space at the back with a digging box at the end and a space for a large nesting/litter/hay nibbling box. There is also a good deal of floor space so she has room for hopping about. It also has a second floor for her to hop up onto where there is soft bedding. I also went to some charity shops on Saturday and managed to find some old toy plastic stacking pots which she loves!

I've already noticed this morning that there are a few nibbles out of the edge of the Correx base, even though I gaffer taped over the edges but I'm going to get some PVC edging from B&Q later which will be much more bunny proof (B&Q call it FFA Concept PVC Finishing Profile White).

I'm not sure how to post pics up on here but I'll try and figure it out when I get home later.

Last edited:
If you go to the "Help Using The Forum" section there is a thread with instructions on how to post photos.

Will look forward to seeing the photos later, I maybe bringing my buns indoor next winter so it will be interesting to see what you have done :wave:s

Thanks for all the great comments! It was a lot more work than I thought but that was probably a good thing. I'm paying for it today though, can barely move, better than a work out at the gym. It does take some getting used to as it is quite dominant in the room but at the same time it seems to fit in really well and I have a very happy bunny :D

Hey thats great, thinking of doing something like that myself soon!

Can I ask where you got the correx from? And what you used to make the shelves?

Hey thats great, thinking of doing something like that myself soon!

Can I ask where you got the correx from? And what you used to make the shelves?

I got the correx from B&Q, there is a huge megastore near me so they might not sell it in all stores, I had to go to the builders yard department to get it, it wasn't in the main part of the store. It's called 'Corotherm Twinwall Polycarbonate Sheets'. I found that they had smaller sized sheets that were only 6mm thick but these weren't shown on their website, the 10 & 16mm that is shown on their website would have been too thick to work with. I had to buy 5 sheets at 610mm x 1220mm and gaffer tape them together but it's fine for the base and holds well. They were £9 per sheet though, so worked out to be quite expensive.

They also sell Correx online at the 'One Stop Plastics Shop' and they do lots of different colours, I couldn't get the sheets delivered to me in the week as I'm at work, so B&Q was the easiest option for me.

I also got my wire mesh cubes from B&Q too, I was hoping to get some nice white ones but unless you live in the USA it's a long shot, I searched everywhere! B&Q seem to be one of the few people in the UK that sell them but they're all black, unless you pay a bit more for plain metal from shop display companies.

I was trying to avoid having to saw bits of wood, so for the shelves I used the wire mesh cube panels. I attached them to the sides of the main frame and also to the panels I had underneath to support it, I used cable ties to attach them and then laid carpet tiles over the top which were cut to shape, I also used these to line the base of the cage. It's really stable but you have to make sure you put the mesh panels underneath in the right place to support it and try not to overlap the panels which creates a lumpy surface. This was tricky as to where to place them to get the support but also to maximise the floor space.

I'll upload links of my floor plans which might help make sense of it. As long as you don't have more than 2 panels without a support it's really stable and firm and works fine without using wood.

Hope this helps :wave:

It looks fantastic. It's just a suggestion, but bunnies can jump quite high. I made the mistake of not putting a roof on a cage once. Took Flopsi two mins to jump 3 and a bit foot and try to sneak out my bedroom door :lol:

It looks fantastic. It's just a suggestion, but bunnies can jump quite high. I made the mistake of not putting a roof on a cage once. Took Flopsi two mins to jump 3 and a bit foot and try to sneak out my bedroom door :lol:

Thanks for the advice :lol: I think she might be alright with 2 panels high (I hope!) as she is a very small rabbit and the other 2 sides of the cage are up against a wall. I was intending to put some panels over the top floor as that is the part I'm more worried about but I bought the last 2 available boxes of mesh cubes so I'll have to wait for more stock to arrive before I can get them. If she did however manage to jump out, the lounge is bunny proofed and there is a permanent litter tray, hay and water supply there so she'll be ok.

Back