• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does anyone need to trim their bunnies?

mattyp

Warren Veteran
For those of you who don't know I have an extremly long haired rabbit called Maisie. Luckily her hair (despite its length) doesn't get matted quickly and only needs brushing every couple of days or so. But due to its sheer length it often grows over her face reducing her sight to almost nothing, so every so often I need to trim it from around her face.

I was just enquiring to some opinions on whether you guys think it's okay to trim your rabbits hair? And if you do trim your rabbit how often do you need to do it? And are there any suggestions as to how I should go about it? I feel so mean going at her with a pair of scissors :?

I was told by the rescue that she often needed to be trimmed otherwise she was easily startled and reclusive.

And here is a picture for you all to see just how hairy she is:
58543_10150250151640234_742765233_14773071_7426000_n.jpg

Last edited:
For those of you who don't know I have an extremly long haired rabbit called Maisie. Luckily her hair (despite its length) doesn't get matted quickly and only needs brushing every couple of days or so. But due to its sheer length it often grows over her face reducing her sight to almost nothing, so every so often I need to trim it from around her face.

I was just enquiring to some opinions on whether you guys think it's okay to trim your rabbits hair? And if you do trim your rabbit how often do you need to do it? And are there any suggestions as to how I should go about it? I feel so mean going at her with a pair of scissors :?

I was told by the rescue that she often needed to be trimmed otherwise she was easily startled and reclusive.

And here is a picture for you all to see just how hairy she is:
58543_10150250151640234_742765233

Is this picture link working?? :?

georgie_f has Daphne (search the forum :)) who she trims as she can't see otherwise too!

Re the picture, nope, its not, there's no actual picture in the embedded link :wave: Is that from facebook? If so, FB images are poo :p

georgie_f has Daphne (search the forum :)) who she trims as she can't see otherwise too!

Re the picture, nope, its not, there's no actual picture in the embedded link :wave: Is that from facebook? If so, FB images are poo :p

It is from facebook! Damn it it's always worked before. lame. I think I remember georgie_f comparing Maisie to Daphne before. Where is she anyway?!

It is from facebook! Damn it it's always worked before. lame. I think I remember georgie_f comparing Maisie to Daphne before. Where is she anyway?!

Not sure, she hasn't been around much for a while, but perhaps she's upped her hours at work etc :wave:

Not sure, she hasn't been around much for a while, but perhaps she's upped her hours at work etc :wave:

Ah! fair enough really.

I think the picture is working now! And all I had to do was sign my soul over to photobucket. ;)

I've got a few long haired bunnies and I clip them all down, it's much easier to maintain and the bunnies much prefer it, I just do it as and when is neccessary

I've got a few long haired bunnies and I clip them all down, it's much easier to maintain and the bunnies much prefer it, I just do it as and when is neccessary

Do you clip all of them or just around their face? I've only trimmed around her face before to aid her sight, but if you recommend perhaps clipping the rest of her coat I may do that to. I've never done it before as i wasn't sure how she'd react, or how long she would sit still. :lol:

Yes we trim our long haired boy round his face as his hair goes in his eyes causing him to get weepy eyes so we try to stay on top and keep his hair trimmed, we trim a lot more off our long haired buns in the Summer for coolness.

Before
11-6-10030.jpg

After
13-1-11003-1.jpg
:D

Im the spring/summer when the weather warms up we have to trim fuzzy's face because it gets in her eyes :( We only trim her up when she needs it.

We use scissors and hair trimmers.

We havent done it in the winter because i will feel abit mean :oops: she might get chilly! :oops:

hello :wave: im a pet groomer, Going over her with clippers would leave a much more even trim then chopping with sissors (and much safer) if she is well groomed you could use a long comb blade just to make it more managable but not too short :) but i must say once you start trimming a coat it needs to be done around every 6-8 weeks as the coat will be encouraged to grow once you start and grow even longer! just like our hair when we have a trim our hair grows faster :)

Lucky gets a fuzzy face that i trim in the summer - i dont trim him in winter as i think he needs it all :lol: I'm careful not to get whiskers though and he's quite good if you dont show him the scissors - my 14 year old follows him around taking a snip here and there and has got it down to a T :lol:

He's no where near as hairy as the gorgeous fluffy bun in the pic tho :love:

Do you clip all of them or just around their face? I've only trimmed around her face before to aid her sight, but if you recommend perhaps clipping the rest of her coat I may do that to. I've never done it before as i wasn't sure how she'd react, or how long she would sit still. :lol:

I trim mine all over, they much prefer it and usually when I put them back they go running and bunkying around, it also help them when they are grooming because they are not ingesting as much fur

I trim mine all over, they much prefer it and usually when I put them back they go running and bunkying around, it also help them when they are grooming because they are not ingesting as much fur

Sorry to pester but do you use a thinning scissors, or just ordinary kitchen scissors??

@Grin Why thankyou, she is a beaut :)

Im the spring/summer when the weather warms up we have to trim fuzzy's face because it gets in her eyes :( We only trim her up when she needs it.

We use scissors and hair trimmers.

We havent done it in the winter because i will feel abit mean :oops: she might get chilly! :oops:

What's the difference between scissors and hair trimmers??:oops:

Sorry to pester but do you use a thinning scissors, or just ordinary kitchen scissors??

You are not pestering at all, I use electric dog clippers and scissors that are designed for trimming animals, you can get them in pet shops

Back