• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

honest opinions

Crystal butterfly

Warren Veteran
recently ive been thinking id like to get another rabbit a girl to bond in with Misty and Princess, both my rabbits are extremely laid back so personally i dont think it would be hard bonding in another rabbit (but i suppose it depends on the other rabbits personailty)

one the reasons for wanting to do this is because Misty is 4 years old and princess is only 1 if either passes on it would mean they'd still have a friend and i wont have to go through the stress of trying to find another friend for the remaining rabbit.

If yous think its a bad idea please tell me straight I promise not to get offensed by it :)

I bonded Bracken into a trio with Blue and Honey for the sheer fact Blue & Honey are extreamly close and Honey has liver damage so won't be around forever.
I was also able to give another bun a home so seemed like a good idea.

If you have the time/money/accomodation then I can't see why it wouldn#t be a good idea :)

If you have a big enough space for 3 instead of 2 and can afford the extra cost of vets bills and vaccinations, then if I was in your position I would go for it :lol: Would you be getting the new bunny from a rescue? :wave:

I hate to always do this, but think of the negatives, not just the positives :)

What would you do if the new 3rd bun didnt bond with them?
What would you do if the new 3rd bun caused the bond between your established pair breaks down?
Do you have accomodation for 3 single buns?
Can you afford an additional bun, in terms of neuter/spay/vaccs/un-planned vet trips/feed?

of course the bun would be from a rescue :)

I know for a fact I will have to buy new accomodation because i dont feel the current hutch would be big enough for 3 :) as for vaccinations and vet bills money is there to cover these :)

I wont be looking into doing this until the summer as i have had a slight knock with money but its getting a bit better now :)

I honestly think having a trio is better than having a pair for the reasons of ill health/death etc.

If you can afford the added responsibility then i'd say go ahead.

Have you bonded rabbits before? If not, can you ask the rescue to help with this (presuming you will rescue?) as some rescues will help with the bonding.

I have been honestly thinking about it with my two but as we've not yet had ours for a year, i want to see how the costs pan out. I dont think we'd notice an extra one day to day but we might when it comes to vaccination time.

I agree with Graham, you need to consider whether a third rabbit would disrupt your current rabbits bond.

But if you are thinking of getting it from a rescue then the majority will let you test to see if all three bond, and if not you could return the rabbit to the home. If your rabbits are very laid back there is probably a better chance of the bond working.

I also would love a third rabbit one day but for now 2 are enough, and there is a lot to consider.

the biggest problem is if the new rabbit doesn't bond, and you want to keep it, you will end up getting a forth to keep it company. :lol:

I honestly think having a trio is better than having a pair for the reasons of ill health/death etc.
If you can afford the added responsibility then i'd say go ahead.

Have you bonded rabbits before? If not, can you ask the rescue to help with this (presuming you will rescue?) as some rescues will help with the bonding.

I have been honestly thinking about it with my two but as we've not yet had ours for a year, i want to see how the costs pan out. I dont think we'd notice an extra one day to day but we might when it comes to vaccination time.

I often look at the flipside of that though. In death, actually yeah, that would be excellent as the loneliness wouldnt be such a factor. BUT i've seen so many people here and on other sites say that in a trio, there is often somebun 'left out' and almost like its more 'tolerated' not fully integrated and is often seen to be 'outside' of the bond, if you see where im coming from?

Im not saying trio's aren't awesome, and that all have a 'left out' bun, just that it can happen. That's why i wont add to the B&G bond :)

Totally agree with the bonding through a rescue :)

Hi Btw Grin :wave:

I agree with Graham, you need to consider whether a third rabbit would disrupt your current rabbits bond.

But if you are thinking of getting it from a rescue then the majority will let you test to see if all three bond, and if not you could return the rabbit to the home. If your rabbits are very laid back there is probably a better chance of the bond working.

I also would love a third rabbit one day but for now 2 are enough, and there is a lot to consider.

the biggest problem is if the new rabbit doesn't bond, and you want to keep it, you will end up getting a forth to keep it company. :lol:

Or do a me and see a 4th would be lovely to join your three, the 4th doesn't bond so you get a 5th :lol:

I hate to always do this, but think of the negatives, not just the positives :)

What would you do if the new 3rd bun didnt bond with them?
What would you do if the new 3rd bun caused the bond between your established pair breaks down?
Do you have accomodation for 3 single buns?
Can you afford an additional bun, in terms of neuter/spay/vaccs/un-planned vet trips/feed?

its ok negatives are always good to think about in these situations

I plan to rescue so id hopefully get to do the bond there to see if the bond works :) Im currently fostering a girly bun for Pixierabbit rescue and i am tempted to see if i can bond her in with my 2 if of course its ok with her :)

as for the bond breakdown (can that happen :oops:) Misty is a very socialable rabbit he tore his fur out when Crystal died so he pretty much bonds with any rabbit, Princess is independant but hasnt got a single aggresive bone in her body infact she is soft as poo lol knowing my rabbits personalitys i really dont think a bond breakdown would happen but it is a thing that you never know until it happens so il deffinatly keep this in mind!

I'm in pretty much the same situation. I have a really sweet placid pair who i'm almost certain would take another doe (although there is the slim chance of it not working out)

Have seen the bunny I would like and am currently nagging the OH who incidently sounds like Gray and is having none of it :lol: :lol:

Bond breakdowns can happen, when i originally introduced Dizzee Rascal to my trio the bond broke down and Blue and Honey woudnt accept Bracken back at all. Then Honeys bond broke with Blue so I ended up with a pair and two singles.
Te trio are bonded back again but it can affect strong current bonds

I often look at the flipside of that though. In death, actually yeah, that would be excellent as the loneliness wouldnt be such a factor. BUT i've seen so many people here and on other sites say that in a trio, there is often somebun 'left out' and almost like its more 'tolerated' not fully integrated and is often seen to be 'outside' of the bond, if you see where im coming from?

Im not saying trio's aren't awesome, and that all have a 'left out' bun, just that it can happen. That's why i wont add to the B&G bond :)

Totally agree with the bonding through a rescue :)

Hi Btw Grin :wave:

I do see where you are coming from and i didnt know about that before. It's certainly given something for me to think about. I dont know either if my pair could withold another bonding - i would be very afraid of their existing bond being compromised too. :?

If only the little things could speak up!! :lol:

Back