• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Artificial grass?

DO you mean like astro turf?

If so, i'd guess not, as its very hard and abbrasive and would hurt bunny feet.

Could you buy a couple of squares of turf or something, to allow a 'grassy' area?

My rabbits spend most of their time on concrete (for safety's sake I only put them on the grass when I'm home), they don't seem to mind. I would worry about rabbits chewing artificial grass.

Can you grow some seed trays of grass to put into the run, rotating them as necessary?

Hannah :)

Mmmm. I had wondered about the chewing thing.

My last 2 bunnies lived quite happily on thier concrete run but I did always worry about arthritis........I wonder if bunnies get that!

Yes...I could grow some trays I suppose......might be a little difficult to buy just a couple of pieces of turf:?

My last 2 bunnies lived quite happily on thier concrete run but I did always worry about arthritis........I wonder if bunnies get that!

Yes...I could grow some trays I suppose......might be a little difficult to buy just a couple of pieces of turf:?

Bunnies can get arthritis :wave: A few members here have bunnies with it.

Re the turf, might be worth asking any local places if they have any 'off cuts' if you see where im coming from, left over froma job or something perhaps?

Either that, or some places sell seed so you can buy as much or as little as you like!

Hannah

Flora and Parsnip have astro-turf covering the concrete slabs in their kennel/run. Fortunately for me, they never chew anything so I'm fairly confident they won't touch it (they've not to date anyway). I found that they were slipping on the slabs as they aged and lost muscle tone and needed something that they could easily grip when they hopped around. But it had to be something weatherproof as the run is open to the elements on one side (it's a bespoke kennel and run). I was lucky and found an offcut in B&Q - it's the really short stuff that you tend to find in greengrocer stores. I paid £20 for it and it's around 5 ft by 15ft.

ETA - I wouldn't get the 'posh' artifical grass because it's too long and would be way too tempting for a bunny to nibble. But I think you're OK with the really short stuff, as long as your bunnies are not chewers.

Last edited:
We have long-ish artificial grass for the whole of our garden and its under part of the bunnies run. They also free-range sometimes. They've never tried to nibble it and its lovely and soft under foot. We've had it for several years without any problems.

Do you sell artificial lawns rosehenry? I notice that your homepage is an artificial lawn company website and you've responded to a thread that was 4 years old.

Artificial grass under the rabbit run has been a huge mistake for me. Only put it down 2 months ago and there were 5 large holes where they had dug at it. Found one of my buns moving around under the AstroTurf like something from an episode of Tom and Jerry having a whale of a time. Ripped it up and put it in the bin promptly - they will have to make do with paving.

Back