• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do you know the history of your rescue bunny?

GrahamL

Wise Old Thumper
I have no idea why, but i was sitting there with my pair this morning whilst they clambered all over me and i started thinking the above.

If you have a rescue bun, did you ask/were you told of the history of the bun?

E.g, where did the bun come from? Was it abandoned? Accidental Litter? Something else more sinister?

Just curiousity.

Also, out of curiosity, do rescues inform people when they adopt a bunny of the history by default, or do you only offer the information up if asked? Again, just being inquisitive :) Not trying to infer that rescues keep anything secret etc.

Thanks in advance :wave:

They tell you about the buns at my local rspca. They have a little description of each one on their website telling you how the buns came to be in their care as well as the age/sex/general personality.

I wanted to know as much as possible about our rescue rabbits so asked.
Not a lot of information was available for some, I often wonder what their history may have been.I do know that two had been at their rescue centre for about 18 months waiting for a forever home.:cry:
It's thanks to another member on here who encouraged me to consider them and they are a great pair of rabbits.
My giant girl had been in impulse buy and when the couple parted needed to be rehomed.
Guess they all have a story to tell.

:? No I don't know the history of most of mine. I do know the history to my foster buns but probably only 2 out 7 of my own rescues! I can't remember being told but then I don't think I asked either. :D

Mae was a little boys pet and lived with a piggie, she had dental problems and was handed in to tracy (I assume because they didnt want to pay for her teeth to be sorted) she came in lactating :shock: but wasnt preggers *phew* had her teeth out, speyed and came to live with meeee :D

I always try to tell the adopter as much as possible about the RSPCA rabbits. I have been putting them on RR and all have the basic info about how they arrived at the Centre on there.

Personally speaking, Autumn, Wish and Mooshy Face all came to me exceptionally young, so I know more about their life than say Summer, Rosie or Tilly, although I had basic info on some of those.

Roger and Floss were both young when they came so I can guess and piece together some bits from their past and make the most likely assumptions about them.

I think a bunny's "story" is the second-most important "decider" for most people when it comes to which rescue bunny to pick, especially people who are rescuing for the first time.

Or maybe that's just me!

I know that Billy was from the Ledbury Petshop Rescue, Rosie and Penelope came from rough kids who had no time for them and were neglecting Rosie's dental issues and Ralph was an unwanted litter.

I don't know the full history of my boys - they were dropped off at the pets corner where I worked by someone who said they'd been dumped on him (I never met him, it happened while I had my day off) - Butters was very young and was with the 3 babies, we thought it was a mum and babies at first. We think whoever had them probably kept the mum.

So they now have honorary birthdays as we don't know the proper date of birth.

I wish I knew :( especially for Jasmine and Daphne. I saw a breeder's advert who had identical babies to Jas and Daphne and I emailed her to find out how long she had been breeding but she had only been breeding for a year so they can't have been from her. They were just shadows of rabbits when I got them compared to the little personalities they are now, I wish I knew what they had been through.

I think Castiel came from a backyard breeder and Ruby was handed over by someone who couldn't cope with her 'temperamental' (read normal unneutered doe :roll:) behaviour but again I'm not sure.

Charlie was my cousins rabbit and she got sick of him

Princess was being rehomed cos the husband started to get allergic after having her for a year

Autumn was rehomed due to a couple splitting up.

Sophie was part of an "unplanned litter" turned out she was planned but by then I wanted her!

Granite was an accidental litter brough to honeybunnies
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=150068&highlight=flipper

Bluebelle and Frankie came from Kirkby Rescue I named them as part of a fundraiser, and well they ended up living with me!!

Cherry Blossom was found straying, and I adopted her from Elaine at Tameside

Isla was a pets at home adoption, and had been dumped on their door step

Arthur was kept with chickens and went to Pixies rescue with lots of infections and mites http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=248152

Snoopy was in holiday boarding at the rescue, together with his brother. They started to fight, and the owner just took his brother back home and left Snoopy at the rescue to be rehomed.

Penny was born at the rescue, her mother had arrived pregnant.

Luna was removed from a terrible breeder when she was just a few days old and grew up at the rescue.

Sunnie came from a forum member who had taken in her pregnant mother and her father.

Cloud was bought from a petshop as a birthday present for a little girl, who got bored with him after 2 weeks, so he ended up on Gumtree.

Ruby was a stray so I don't really know anything about her. I don't even know how old she is really. I do wonder whether she was abandoned or whether she escaped...

3 of mine werent in rescues, but I rescued them from their homes they were in.(2 of them were due to be disposed of:shock::shock:)
Roland was in a rescue.....8 months old.Abandoned by the owner who was lodging with the lady who took him in.Personally, I think the owner was that lady and she had found out about teeth issues.:roll:

My bunny whom is now called Uncle, belonged to a girl.
In the four years she had this rabbit the level of neglect was appauling, we begged for her to give us this rabbit but she would not give him up and said she loved him. But she was happy for us to ferry him to the vets to have his teeth trimmed and other things he started to suffer from. We took him a large hutch to live in and my friend cleand him and took him hay.
One day by shear luck we found he had fly strike ( thank goodness it had only happend that day).
we made the girl aware of his situation and offerd to take him to the vets as he would need to be put to sleep.
Thankfully the vet was able to save him so that was how he came to live with me. Over two years later he still needs very regular trips to FHB to keep on top of his many health problems caused by his neglect.

Spenser wasn't exactly a rescue. He was advertised on gumtree by an owner whose health obliged her to rehome some bunnies. I met Spenser's Mum (a dark brown lionhead) but not his Dad (who had apparently jumped a fence, causeing the accidental litter of which Spenser was part). All the bunnies had thier basic needs well catered for, but I suspect not had much handling as Spenser has always been very resistant to being picked up. He was about 7 months when I got him. I was told his diet was 80% hay, but find this hard to believe, although he was used to farm hay, which I don't have for him here.

The RSPCA both mine came from gave us the following helpful information :roll:

Nino - stray

Poppy - stray

Very helpful indeed!

i once had the misfortune to work in a garden centre which had a pets corner. one woman brought in a rabbit she said her neighbours kept in the garden in an old bird cage and it wasn't been looked after so she left it at the centre to be sold.
the pen they kept the rabbits in were sometimes divided into 2 by a 2ft high net. :?
one morning as i arrived at work there was a carry on coming from pets corner and i found out a large unneutered buck had been put in the same pen as the other little rabbit (a nethie) and the big guy jumped the net and attacked the little nethie. he was in a bad way and his testicles had been torn off but were still hanging on by a bit of skin.
the owner of the garden centre told the manager to get someone to take him out back and 'brick him' :censored:
i was livid, took the poor guy and rushed him to my vet. i was told his chances were slim as he may be infected but he survived. :D
that is how i ended up with Eli, the most loving bunny i ever had.. he had a very long and happy life as my house bun, still miss the little guy. :love:

The rescue we got Bubbles from offered up the info about her background - and we also chatted about several other buns & their stories too.

Bubbles was handed to the rescue at about 8 weeks of age by a local breeder.

The breeder had taken another young bun there who had an eye problem (and so was 'no good for selling' :roll:) and brought Bubbles in too as company for the first bunny, although she had no problems herself. :?

The rescue ladies thought it was because Bubbles was so small and looked younger than she was - hence the breeder wouldn't have been able to offload her to the pet shop as soon as she would have liked. :roll:

But her loss is my (and Alfie's) gain. :D:D

Back