• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

worms in rabbits,

kirsty121

New Kit
can rabbit get worms,,

i know this may sound silly me asking this question, i noticed tonight my rabbit has like white bits in his bumble looks like celery strands but smaller, sometimes his bumbles are clear other times it just one or 2, the strand bits dont move,

i never ever seen this before, just wonderd if it could be worms, i know dogs etc can get it, i sound silly saying this hehe,,

he seems fine in eating running and jumping about, only been this evening i noticed,

this wont harm in will it, i will ring vets tomoz for some stuff just in case, please let me know,,,

Yup, they can get worms. Panacur should sort it if they are pinworms, or other small worms. Its a good idea to have a chat with your vet about them.

Sounds like pinworms has your bunny lost weight as this is also a something that happens when they get pinworms. Thyme the herb is supposed to help expell them and Panacur, of course.

no he hasnt lost weight,,

how do they even get it, he not been out in the garden for ages due to cold weather etc

were do i get that panacur from, just the vets, or can i get it somewere else,,

Yes they can get worms.

Toffee lost his eye due to a worm which managed to get into his eye :? :(

You should contact your vets and get him seen if you think he has worms, as they can provide you with what you need to get rid of them.

My bunny Cookie got worms last month. No idea how as she lives in the conservatory atm, so wouldn't have thought she'd have been as at risk as she's not been outside and always has clean water, hutch etc, and I wash the greens so thoroughly. I noticed when she was free ranging in the living room, as her bumbles were coming out with lots of live worms in them, pretty gory!

Her and her sister had a course of panacur for 9 days. It was a bit of a pain to administer as the syringe is preloaded and gives a dose for a rabbit twice the size of ours, so we had to try and divide it as best as we could on to different pieces of greens.

I caught flu the day after I noticed, and OH did an amazing job of taking her to the vets, and giving the meds. I think he secretly liked his new role, especially as when I was well enough to go down to see the buns, it was clear he was their new favourite person :lol:

Talk to your vet about worming, my vet does not agree with routine worming as it can affect the rabbits white cells, so take some poop with you and ask a rabbit savvy vet.

thanks guys for your views,
i read up on the net, its not harmful, well unless its left for yonks but who would do that,,

i ring vet this morning, yer god knows how he picked it up,
might sound silly, do ya have to wash all the carpets as he has been in my living room, sorry to ask a gory question., as it was only in his poop, sorry just i never seen this before

thanks guys for your views,
i read up on the net, its not harmful, well unless its left for yonks but who would do that,,

i ring vet this morning, yer god knows how he picked it up,
might sound silly, do ya have to wash all the carpets as he has been in my living room, sorry to ask a gory question., as it was only in his poop, sorry just i never seen this before

I didn't :oops: but I picked up the poops and vacuumed thoroughly to make me feel better about it! The actual worms seemed to stay in the bumbles, even though when they came out they looked like they were wriggling to get out of them. I got OH to take a bagfull of them to the vets :lol:

I would just do extra cleaning out, and try and not let them eat veg etc from the floor of the hutch until you are clear of the worms.

Back