• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New piggy setup :)

After my thread in general chat about extending the g.pigs accomodation, i came up with a solution. Its not the best setup in the world, but theyre definitley a lot happier and were popcorning around in there earlier :love:
Im hoping if this works out and i can manage ok, they'll be staying with me :):)

Do you think its suitable?
I disinfected all the concrete, sawed the legs off their hutch (which is actually almost 5ft, not 4! :)) and then put newspaper and hay on the concrete. The bed area is FULL of hay and straw too. Might put a snuggle safe in later too. The run is 6x4 by the way :wave:

23012011700.jpg

23012011701.jpg

23012011702.jpg

23012011707.jpg

23012011706.jpg

VIDEO:

Last edited:
They look very happy. :)

The only immediate improvement I could think of is some corrugated sheeting for the roof and possibly the open side so the hay and the piggies won't get too wet.

Or long term, if you are handy and can make it secure by screwing on wood battens top and botton to cover the gaps there woud be there if the hutch was at the end, you could make the space even bigger. You could move the hutch out of the pen, take the open end off and put the hutch against it so they have even more room. You would have to put some fixings on both so you could securely fasten them together but take apart for easy cleaning and access as your hutch is longer than four feet.

Hope it works out well and they can stay.

They look very happy. :)

The only immediate improvement I could think of is some corrugated sheeting for the roof and possibly the open side so the hay and the piggies won't get too wet.

Or long term, if you are handy and can make it secure by screwing on wood battens top and botton to cover the gaps there woud be there if the hutch was at the end, you could make the space even bigger. You could move the hutch out of the pen, take the open end off and put the hutch against it so they have even more room. You would have to put some fixings on both so you could securely fasten them together but take apart for easy cleaning and access as your hutch is longer than four feet.

Hope it works out well and they can stay.

Thats the next plan, need to wait until payday though as i dont have 2 pennys to scratch my behind with :lol: Just going to get some corrugated plastic.

Dont think ill be able to extend it any further, dads miffed enough as it is :lol: He hasnt said anything about it, but he was stood in the garden looking pretty bemused by it earlier :lol: :roll: hes given up arguing about my setups!

They look very happy, its great! Are you going to take the door off or do you shut it at night? :wave:

Im just going to wedge the door open and see how that goes for now. I dont want to take it off completely because if i put it in the shed, my brother will almost certainly take it apart and make something new with it. :roll:

Last edited:
Looks good to me! My pigs live in something very similar. :) Although I do agree with the possiblity of taking the hutch door off, just ti squeeze that bit extra space out of it. :lol:

Looks good to me! My pigs live in something very similar. :) Although I do agree with the possiblity of taking the hutch door off, just ti squeeze that bit extra space out of it. :lol:

I would take it off, but i know id never see it again. :roll: They have more than enough space though and they can get around it and even under it if they want, theres also space at the far side of the hutch.

I would take it off, but i know id never see it again. :roll: They have more than enough space though and they can get around it and even under it if they want, theres also space at the far side of the hutch.

Cant you just put it behind the hutch? Hopefully he wouldnt find it there?

Cant you just put it behind the hutch? Hopefully he wouldnt find it there?

Possibly, but im going to leave it on for now as the setup isnt very human friendly so i may end up changing it, also if we have some really cold weather again, ill probably shut them in on a night.

Last edited:
Possibly, but im going to leave it on for now as the setup isnt very human friendly so i may end up changing it, also if we have some really cold weather again, ill probably shut them in on a night.

I would leave the door on too :thumb: at least they can be shut in at night to make them cosy if need be. I think that setup is fab for piggies, how many do you have in there? :)

I would leave the door on too :thumb: at least they can be shut in at night to make them cosy if need be. I think that setup is fab for piggies, how many do you have in there? :)

3, i used to have 2 pairs one of which i rehomed and after an unanounced visit found just one piggy in not very nice conditions. Pip had died, so i took Ginger home with me and bonded her with Maggie and Poppy.

6x4 is a nice size for 3 :)

Thanks for all of the positive feedback, means a lot, ive been worrying for so long about how i can give them more space. Its going to be a pain to clean, but its worth it now i can see them zooming around and they arent tucked away around the side of the conservatory. :D

Im hoping dad will bunny proof the garden for me too, so i dont have to buy another run since Marley and Dollys has been invaded my piglets :lol:

Last edited:
Back