• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny weight

crazy daisy

Warren Scout
What is the correct weight for dwarf lops? I took both of mine for their VHD jabs the other day and they were both weighed. Daisy weighed 2.4 kg, (biggest she has been for a while) she last weighed at 1.6 kg when i cut down her veg and pellets to encourage hay intake, Sooty weighed 2.2 kg which was the same as he weighed when i got him a year ago and my other vet never said he was underweight. This vet said that they are both slim bunnies? I thought that their weight was ok, i was chuffed that they had both put on weight now im not sure what to think? :?

I took my bunnies for their Mixy jab on Friday ;They are both dwarf lops, Shogun my boy is just under 6 months old and Princess is 9 months.

My bunny Princess weighed 2.8kg and the vet said that she was ooverweight. I thought she may be slightly overweight, but was suprised when he said in human terms she would be classed as obese.

She is on a diet now , just hay and greens and a small amount of pellets. No more treats for my baby !

I think it depends more on the individual bunnys for example my Trev who was a dwarf lop weighed in at 3.6 kg :shock: but he was a bigger than average boy. And Bailey who is also a Dwarf lop weighed 2.4kg last time he was weighed and they were both healthy weights for their size. :)
Everybun is different so i think you should just go with your gut feeling and also the vets advice :D
But i think that the average weights are supposed to be about 2 kg - 2.7 kg

mine are 1/3rd dwarf lop and are 1.9 and 2.1kg respectively! they were weighed at the beginning of Jan.

ALl bunnies are different i'm afraid, but i believe ~2-2.5Kg's is pretty normal for a dwarf lop :wave:

I have 2, once is 2.2Kg's, one is 1.47Kg's and growing.

Would you recommend getting myxi jabs even though your sure the likelihood of encountering a wild rabbit is slim???

Would you recommend getting myxi jabs even though your sure the likelihood of encountering a wild rabbit is slim???

Yes. 100%. All bunnies are susceptible at any time. Even buns with the vaccine can get it, but stand a much stronger chance of surviving it.

Myxi is carried on bugs, and can be walked into a house, or on clothes etc.

ETA: not sure where your question came in on this thread about rabbits weights but there we go :lol:

Yes. 100%. All bunnies are susceptible at any time. Even buns with the vaccine can get it, but stand a much stronger chance of surviving it.

Myxi is carried on bugs, and can be walked into a house, or on clothes etc.

ETA: not sure where your question came in on this thread about rabbits weights but there we go :lol:

Ok ,thanks for that!

Sorry, I just read John Lenegan's post and wanted to ask:roll:

I keep forgetting what it is in the UK. But if dwarf lops= American mini lops then about 4-5 lbs. That's around what my mini lops weighed.

I keep forgetting what it is in the UK. But if dwarf lops= American mini lops then about 4-5 lbs. That's around what my mini lops weighed.

Gets confusing doesn't it?

I think our mini lops are your holland lops. Our dwarf lops are your mini lops. Dunno where it goes from there though!

I'm not entirely sure as i'd rather judge by sight and feel than go from a guide (much like the so called guides on the back of feed packaging that suggest massive quantities of feed).

Basil is a dwarf lop - he weighed 2.5kg when he owners gave him to me, I put him on a diet of timothy hay and greens and he is now 2.2kg and looking much better for it. He's livelier, his coat is softer and shinier and his bum is almost spotlessly clean/poos are bigger and drier (compared to how messy it could get before). I'd like him to drop another 100-150g and then maintain him there.

If they're mobile, able to groom properly and have good digestive functions then I wouldn't be too concerned. You probably know best if your bunny is overweight.

Hiya :wave:
Thanks for all of your replies! It has put my mind at rest now i just thoght it was abit odd as a vet has never really mentioned about their weight when they weighed this amount before (if thats makes sense!). They both eat fine and their poos are ok, Sootys can be abit soft but they have always been like that since i got him, although they have got better.
This is a recent pic of Daisy the heavier of the two, not a brill pic im afraid she was scoffing abit of carrot!

Photo007a.jpg

and introducing Sooty! ive had him a year but this is the first time his pic has been on RU :oops:

Photo101.jpg

Oh by the way Graham i love your bunnies names!! ive only just realised that together they are Ginger Biscuit!!! :love:

Back